Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 304 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #91
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It looks like he does a better job of getting multiple rifles in there than I do. I generally have some of my bodies and lenses on the top 2 shelves.
I'm thinking about getting another safe just for the camera gear. It can double as a dehumidifier and keep the lenses fungus free.

11-10-2018, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I'm thinking about getting another safe just for the camera gear. It can double as a dehumidifier and keep the lenses fungus free.
I live in a dry climate so a humidifier isn't a big issue for me here. But now I'm thinking about security I had never thought about having and using a locked cabinet or gun cabinet to store my camera equipment, but it's a good idea the more I think about it. We have been broken in twice in 35 years, once in the house, once in our garage and large shed and once our RV trailer was stolen, right out of our driveway.

Except for the trailer, fortunately nothing was taken and at the time the police said that it was probably because of the vigilant (and noisy) dog we had at the time.

I store the camera equipment in bags, on shelves in an open closet. Probably not a good idea.

I have the great fortune to have a grandchild and I'm sure he'll be curious about grandpa's camera stuff.

The more I think of it, I think some kind of a locked cabinet might be the way to go.

Years ago I was talking to an old high school buddy and his wife...she was a pro photographer. She told me, that one day she was looking for her Leica Rangefinder and finally found it, in their children's sandbox. Their kids had got the lens off somehow and had used it as a 'shovel' to load sand into a bucket. ...Ouch....
11-11-2018, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Certain times of the year in Florida I get away with the drying rod in there and during the 6 months of high humidity, I use one of the peltier type dehumidifiers in the safe. It keeps it down to about 40 to 44%.
11-11-2018, 06:20 AM   #94
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hobbies -

reading - history and historical fiction

zoo docent

photography

dieting

trying to get into shape

11-11-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

---------- Post added 11-11-18 at 07:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
No. No need for further commenting on it.
Perhaps I'd better consult you on whether it's appropriate to comment on what other members post in future?

Last edited by Blue; 11-11-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Back on topic.
11-11-2018, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #96
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Perhaps I'd better consult you on whether it's appropriate to comment on what other members post in future?
I believe what Blue meant was that we should all get back to the core of the discussion and not get drawn into a politically charged discussion about firearms, the associated laws and cultural differences regarding them.
11-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #97
Site Supporter

As moderator, I have been known to post to redirect the thread from getting off topic or down a rabbit hole. That was not an invitation for a discussion about it.

QuoteQuote:
General Talk Rules

Welcome to the PentaxForums.com General Talk section. This is a place where forum members may discuss non-photographic topics! We currently allow all topics in this section that are not covered by other forum sections, including anything non-photographic. No political, religious, or highly controversial topics are allowed in this section, or anywhere else on the forum.

Last edited by Blue; 11-11-2018 at 03:54 PM.
11-11-2018, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i think TIMB64 was more said in jest, but the topic has gone way off track, i live in Thailand so travel in SE asia is a great place to be, riding around on my Honda FORZA with some camera gear under the seat, good luck to everyone with their other hobbies, regards ian
11-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #99
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
i think TIMB64 was more said in jest, but the topic has gone way off track, i live in Thailand so travel in SE asia is a great place to be, riding around on my Honda FORZA with some camera gear under the seat, good luck to everyone with their other hobbies, regards ian
Show us more of your world Ian.
11-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #100
Veteran Member

sure no problem
11-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #101
Site Supporter

I have far too many hobbies. Target shooting (rifles and handguns), astronomy, going to anime cons and collecting all that otaku stuff, and of course photography.
11-12-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Yeah,sorry my British ironic humour often doesn't travel so well!
11-12-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

Yeah,sorry my British ironic humour often doesn't travel so well!
HAHA dont worry mate neither does mine, i have had my foot in it a couple of times, if we stick around they might develop one
11-12-2018, 01:14 PM - 6 Likes   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple of years ago I would have said woodworking. Recently that has become all about restoring my dad's old canoe. How hard could it be? After 16 months of work, I am pretty sure I'll finish in 2019. This canoe was built in 1944. My dad got it in 1967, fiberglassed it in 1969, maybe varnished it once, and retired it in the early 90s. In 2016, my brother hauled it out from Connecticut to Illinois, we met up and I took it to Colorado. Things went quickly until the extent of the decay became clear. Then a lot of replacements.

The curves and angles look nice but are a woodworking challenge. An example: the curve at each end is based on a structure called the stem. The stem is almost an inch thick, white ash. I had to steam that and bend it in about a 10 inch radius curve.

Then notch it precisely to match a V on the canoe. Then bevel the sides at an angle that changes continuously. Then invent a joint where the tip meets up with five other curved angled parts which didn't exist yet. Somewhere in here:

And of course do the other end.

Yes, it absolutely would have been easier to build a new canoe from scratch, and not a lot more to have someone else build one for me. Maybe in the spring, I'll make something flat and square!
11-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A couple of years ago I would have said woodworking. Recently that has become all about restoring my dad's old canoe. How hard could it be? After 16 months of work, I am pretty sure I'll finish in 2019. This canoe was built in 1944. My dad got it in 1967, fiberglassed it in 1969, maybe varnished it once, and retired it in the early 90s. In 2016, my brother hauled it out from Connecticut to Illinois, we met up and I took it to Colorado. Things went quickly until the extent of the decay became clear. Then a lot of replacements.

The curves and angles look nice but are a woodworking challenge. An example: the curve at each end is based on a structure called the stem. The stem is almost an inch thick, white ash. I had to steam that and bend it in about a 10 inch radius curve.

Then notch it precisely to match a V on the canoe. Then bevel the sides at an angle that changes continuously. Then invent a joint where the tip meets up with five other curved angled parts which didn't exist yet. Somewhere in here:

And of course do the other end.

Yes, it absolutely would have been easier to build a new canoe from scratch, and not a lot more to have someone else build one for me. Maybe in the spring, I'll make something flat and square!
Beautiful old canoe. It might of been easier to have someone build one for you...but your canoe is a family heirloom. I'm impressed with the work you are doing. I can also see by the pics you have provided, the beauty in the lines of your canoe.

My grandparents had a cottage on a lake in the Canadian Shield in NW Ontario from the 1930's to the early 1950's. It was an isolated lake, available then only by a train or in the winter by train and dog team.

They had a Peterborough Cedar Strip canoe and a Cedar Strip boat. The boat had a 5 hp Evinrude...which was a big engine in the 1930's. My grandfather was a carpenter with the Canadian Pacific Railways and I'm sure would attend to any repairs needed on the Cedar Strips.

They sold their cottage and boats shortly after I came around, but I was told that the canoe and boat would slide across the water with amazing grace...no pun intended.