are LBA and GAS hobbies

02-11-2019, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That’s why I got a lift.

Pick the car up and walk under it.
Even so, you're still beating on rusty exhaust systems over head, with rust and gunge falling all over....
02-11-2019, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #123
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Even so, you're still beating on rusty exhaust systems over head, with rust and gunge falling all over....
Coveralls and a welder's cap.

I've been under a lot worse.

Changing spring hangers, spring packs, and repairing cracks in the banjo housing in the drive axles of a 40,000lb digger derrick utility truck is messy work. 50,000 miles of mud and grime, grease, and rust rain down while chiseling and hammering, not to mention the mess from using the cutting torch to cut 7/8" rivets, and the grinding and welding of the banjo housing.

I suppose it is in my blood.
02-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #124
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Coveralls and a welder's cap.

I've been under a lot worse.

Changing spring hangers, spring packs, and repairing cracks in the banjo housing in the drive axles of a 40,000lb digger derrick utility truck is messy work. 50,000 miles of mud and grime, grease, and rust rain down while chiseling and hammering, not to mention the mess from using the cutting torch to cut 7/8" rivets, and the grinding and welding of the banjo housing.

I suppose it is in my blood.
if you ingest some of that, it might be

02-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not to mention the mess from using the cutting torch to cut 7/8" rivets,
I have a pretty nice 90 amp ESAB power-cut 1500 plasma cutter at work, it cuts like a scalpel.
Oxy/Acel does have its uses however.
02-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #126
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I have a pretty nice 90 amp ESAB power-cut 1500 plasma cutter at work, it cuts like a scalpel.
Oxy/Acel does have its uses however.
We had a plasma cutter too, but it isn't as precise as a torch. The plasma cutter cuts everything in its way, the torch can be easily manipulated to only cut the stuff you want. Heat up the rivet until it is cherry red, then blow it out with the extra oxygen.

I've done the same removing broken exhaust manifold bolts from cast iron cylinder heads. Heat up the broken stud until bright red, then blow it out of the hole. With the right technique, it can be done without any damage to the threads.
02-12-2019, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had a plasma cutter too, but it isn't as precise as a torch. The plasma cutter cuts everything in its way, the torch can be easily manipulated to only cut the stuff you want. Heat up the rivet until it is cherry red, then blow it out with the extra oxygen.

I've done the same removing broken exhaust manifold bolts from cast iron cylinder heads. Heat up the broken stud until bright red, then blow it out of the hole. With the right technique, it can be done without any damage to the threads.
Yes, oxy is soft.
Fire-department at work prefers minimal residual heat due to surrounding materials in hangers.

edit: with plasma I can cut 1/4" thick 6061-T6 at 1" per second with minimal heating of the piece

02-17-2019, 08:11 AM - 4 Likes   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like dabbling in electronics. I trained as an EE many years ago and I like to keep my hand in it. These days it is mostly designing audio amplifiers. Sadly they all exist on my hard drive only. I really should get around to actually buiding one, but I can't find the time for that. Here is one of my efforts.
Attached Images

02-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #129

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Another guitar player here.

I started out with Metal/Rock... here a video of the band "Klynt" where I was founding member but left the formation after I was unable to walk for half a year (motorcylce accident..):
KLYNT - Hell is Home (video from local heroes 29.01.2012 @ PPC) - YouTube

Then I moved more and more to acoustic stuff, blues:
You Can't Lose What You Ain't Never Had - YouTube

Veselka / Müller Project - Fight The Force (05.02.2012 @ PPC "Local Heroes") - YouTube

Even recorded an album with my buddy:
Veselka/Müller Project - Sneak preview of Jörg recording the album... - YouTube

But meanwhile I do whatever comes to mind, in homerecording, all instruments done by myself...

Instrumental:
Wullemaha - Western Sludge - YouTube

Rock-Thingy:
Wullemaha - Bottom Of The Well - YouTube

Rock/Metal-Thingy:
Wullemaha - Impatience - YouTube

... I normally put all songs to soundcloud for free download, so feel free if you are interested:
wullemaha | René M | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Oh, and I love motorcycles
You got laid a lot ....
03-02-2019, 09:53 PM - 2 Likes   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have three other hobbies (hey, being retired means plenty of time).

First, is my new-found hobby messing with electronics. The other year I decided to make an automatic focusing rail for my macro set-up. That got me involved with the Arduino microcontroller and doing some light programming. My latest project with the Arduino is a programmable mount for taking panoramas.

My other two hobbies actually involve my wife. We have a 35' motorhome with which we enjoy travelling the country. We have 37 states under our belt and new tires, so we're aiming for all 48.

We also have a small (19') pleasure boat which serves us well on hot, Texas summer days. Nothing beats taking the boat into some shady cove, dropping anchor and spending the afternoon bathing in the lake.

Retirement – better known by teachers as the "endless summer."
03-04-2019, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #131

My other HOBBY is my job since I don't get paid nearly as much as I should for my services. At least that is what my wife calls it.....
03-04-2019, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ride bicycles. Started in the mid 90's mountain biking/trail riding, took time off, got back into cycling on road bikes 12 years ago and have since completely switched to mountain bikes again...and gravel bikes...and racing some cyclocross. I don't road ride anymore due to drivers being dicks.
Attached Images

03-04-2019, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I like dabbling in electronics. I trained as an EE many years ago and I like to keep my hand in it. These days it is mostly designing audio amplifiers. Sadly they all exist on my hard drive only. I really should get around to actually buiding one, but I can't find the time for that. Here is one of my efforts.
Very cool WASP! I like it. I've been looking at making an audio amp from a proper op amp. Mine will use like 1/9th the components and perform far worse I think.

---------- Post added 03-04-19 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ryanM Quote
I ride bicycles. Started in the mid 90's mountain biking/trail riding, took time off, got back into cycling on road bikes 12 years ago and have since completely switched to mountain bikes again...and gravel bikes...and racing some cyclocross. I don't road ride anymore due to drivers being dicks.
Neat, I'm a road cyclist. I keep meaning to pack a camera and take it to the park to get these two hobbies together. I've not done it yet. I need some way to carry a camera and a lens or two on a bike and not damage it somehow.
03-04-2019, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #134
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
I need some way to carry a camera and a lens or two on a bike and not damage it somehow.
A Lowepro camera backpack.
03-08-2019, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #135
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Very cool WASP! I like it. I've been looking at making an audio amp from a proper op amp. Mine will use like 1/9th the components and perform far worse I think.
Thanks! I have done other designs with even more components, hehehe.

All the best with your project. There are some excellent amp ICs around these days that will do a perfectly good job.

For something on the cheap, try a chip designed for car radios. For example, the TDA1562 will put out 70W from a ~14VDC supply. According to the datasheet, it will handle a supply of up to 18VDC. This means that you can use an old laptop power supply with it. You can always drop the voltage a little with an adjustable voltage regulator. No complicated PSU needed. No guarantees of stellar performance but in principle it should work.