Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 304 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2021, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #181
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
One of my favourite movies, Bad Day at Black Rock. That would be a wonderful diorama to build and display. Unique I would think.
Well, I have the train, I just have to find a space for that town. The best place for it I have a double wye across the middle of the room inspired by the Keddie Wye near the Feather River.

03-17-2021, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been planning an apartment size N scale model train layout for a couple years now.
Acquiring the parts is easy; finding the time to assemble them not so much - as usual!

In elementary school a group of us students visited a teachers home to view his layout,
an HO scale reproduction of a particular stretch of The New York Central.
Sadly today no such thing would ever be allowed.

Today he is still active. Here's a story about one of his more recent layouts:
https://nycshs.org/2008/06/16/rich-stovings-ho-scale-hudson-division-layout/
Richard L. Stoving went on to become a published author and expert on The New York Central System.
https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3ARichard+L.+Stoving&s=relevan...line_sr_book_1

I'm definitely no "rivet counter" and have no plans for anything so grand and ambitious.
But I have decided that my layout should include some features of and evoke the NY Central former upper Harlem Division,
which once served an area where I often vacation. Like so many railroads in USA this line was abandoned by the early 1970's.

Emily Moser writes an interesting railroad/history blog. Here's an entry on the area of my interest:
https://www.iridetheharlemline.com/2010/07/16/former-terminus-of-the-harlem-line-chatham-then-and-now/

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-31-2021 at 06:32 PM.
03-17-2021, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I've been planning an apartment size N scale model train layout for a couple years now.

In elementary school a group of us students visited a teachers home to view his layout.
It was an HO scale reproduction of a particular stretch of The New York Central.

Today he is still active. Here's a story about one of his more recent layouts:
https://nycshs.org/2008/06/16/rich-stovings-ho-scale-hudson-division-layout/
Richard L. Stoving is a published author and expert on The New York Central System.

I'm definitely no "rivet counter" and have no plans for anything so grand and ambitious.
But I have decided that my layout should include some features of and evoke
the NY Central former upper Harlem Division, an area where I often vacation.

Emily Moser writes an interesting railroad/history blog. Here's an entry on the area of my interest:
https://www.iridetheharlemline.com/2010/07/16/former-terminus-of-the-harlem-line-chatham-then-and-now/

Chris
Thx for posting. Enjoyed reading the links. My FIL who passed away, was a railway Superintendent for the Canadian National Railway and loved talking trains and I enjoyed listening to him. He had worked for the CNR from the late '40's to the '90's. My in laws , in their retirement traveled on many famous trains/routes during that time. He had a bucket list.
04-05-2021, 07:34 AM - 3 Likes   #184
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just about to start my third Ugears model.A birthday present yesterday from my wife.

04-05-2021, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Just about to start my third Ugears model.A birthday present yesterday from my wife.
Looks very detailed. Are you planning to paint it...or ?

I love old steam trains. I was born in the late '40's and sort of just remember steam engines pulling freight cars and passenger cars across the Canadian prairies and the western USA.

Out here, we see a lot of freight trains....container flatcars....grain/oil cars .... alot of times around 100-150 cars. They usually have a couple of diesel electric locomotives out front pulling hard, occasionally a 'pusher' in the middle of the freight cars and sometimes a end pusher. They are big freight cars, big locomotives.....both Canadian Pacific and Canadian National.
04-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #186
Pentaxian

Looks very detailed. Are you planning to paint it...or ?

I love old steam trains. I was born in the late '40's and sort of just remember steam engines pulling freight cars and passenger cars across the Canadian prairies and the western USA.

Out here, we see a lot of freight trains....container flatcars....grain/oil cars .... alot of times around 100-150 cars. They usually have a couple of diesel electric locomotives out front pulling hard, occasionally a 'pusher' in the middle of the freight cars and sometimes a end pusher. They are big freight cars, big locomotives.....both Canadian Pacific and Canadian National.
The two I’ve done so far ( a motorbike and car) I’ve left as the natural wood,I have thought about painting them though.
04-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #187
Pentaxian

The two I’ve done so far ( a motorbike and car) I’ve left as the natural wood,I have thought about painting them though.
Going by the steam engine, they seem to be as appealing either painted or in their natural state. Curious, what make/model of motorcycle ?

04-05-2021, 03:06 PM - 2 Likes   #188
Loyal Site Supporter

on-topic:
I don't have "other hobbies". I can't afford any more.

Actually Thank goodness I didn't buy a boat.
04-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #189
Pentaxian

Going by the steam engine, they seem to be as appealing either painted or in their natural state. Curious, what make/model of motorcycle ?
It’s an Easy Rider type of bike (based on a Harley?).I suspect they have to be generic for copyright purposes.

There’s a pic of it at Post #164 above.
04-05-2021, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #190
Pentaxian

It’s an Easy Rider type of bike (based on a Harley?).I suspect they have to be generic for copyright purposes.

There’s a pic of it at Post #164 above.
Nice model and yes it looks like a generic Harley Davidson.

I'm a vintage motorcycle enthusiast primarily British, European and Japanese motorcycles and a very minor collector of motorcycles. I currently have an English made (London, Plumstead Road) '67 Matchless G15 CS 750 Scrambler and a Japanese made '78 Yamaha SR 500 motorcycle(s).
04-05-2021, 04:27 PM - 2 Likes   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Actually Thank goodness I didn't buy a boat.

As a Long Islander - yes, Queens (and Brooklyn) are on Long Island - I know many people who own or have owned boats.

I will contribute two boat ownership truisms:

- A boat is a hole in the ocean into which you must keep shoveling money.

- It's much better to have a friend with a boat than to own one yourself.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-09-2021 at 05:21 PM.
04-09-2021, 10:58 AM - 3 Likes   #192
Pentaxian

8 hours in......

04-09-2021, 06:00 PM - 2 Likes   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a Long Islander - yes, Queens (and Brooklyn) are on Long Island - I know many people who own or have owned boats.

Chris
Another problem with owning a boat might be called "ownership momentum". Now on the later side of 70, we find we use the boat less and less each year. Still we write a check each month for the storage shed and valet service. We went out this past week for the first time since last October – quite a long spell considering boating is essentially year-round here in this part of Texas. When I brought up the thought of selling the boat to my wife she had 433 reasons why we should keep it. Ownership momentum.

So the truism might be stated this way:
- A boat in ownership tends to stay in ownership until it acted upon by the desire for a newer (bigger, faster) boat.
Notice how it seems very similar to the truism about camera ownership.

Last edited by AggieDad; 04-09-2021 at 06:08 PM.
04-10-2021, 02:05 PM - 4 Likes   #194
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Chris
I'll add to that that knots are very nearly the same thing as miles per hour, only much more expensive!
04-17-2021, 08:29 AM - 8 Likes   #195
Pentaxian

The finished article