Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 304 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2022, 04:26 AM   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've wanted to get into model trains (HO scale), but I just don't have a place to put a layout. A local club puts on a good yearly show that fills a small convention center with some massive layouts that my kids and I like to attend.

06-29-2022, 04:40 AM   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Wow,I have a bog-standard NC MX5,would love to experience a modded one like yours on a track day.
I used to have a black 2.0L one. Lowered, changed back-box, NC Mk 3.5 Sport wheels painted in a charcoal grey. Was a fantastic little motor, a bit gutted to have got rid of it.
06-29-2022, 04:42 AM   #243
Pentaxian

My other main hobby is playing guitar. Been at it now for approx 18 years.
I've also been bitten by the cycling bug, and modifying/upgrading/servicing my bike has resulted in some good lessons on upkeep.
I used to dive deep into the fragrance world, too. I like smelling things, and finding out what things contribute to certain smells. It's quite a vast rabbit hole, but I've never had anyone suggest I smell bad... yet...
06-29-2022, 05:12 AM   #244
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have many, they've narrowed over the years. Photography and cycling remain as constants. Which isn't that peculiar as they were probably the earlies things I picked up in youth around 16/17. I should have gone out on my bike today but that second coffee and the need to tax car online, saw me hesitate on the computer a mite too long to miss the rain. I've got three bikes of my own, down from four when one went to Uni with my son but in total there are currently 9 in the fleet, oh no 10, I forgot the stunt bike and I'm not counting the scooter. Some may need to go!

I used to climb and mountaineer a lot here in the UK but that's gone down to just hillwalking now and that's not very frequent and these days my pack mostly contains camera equipment, not ropes, ice axes and crampons. I've built balsa models in the past, owned and refurbed motorbikes and a couple of cars but my appetite has changed over time. I think I'm finally becoming a bit more interested in travel. Now if I thought cycling and photography were expensive, I think travel could top them both.

06-29-2022, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I used to have a black 2.0L one. Lowered, changed back-box, NC Mk 3.5 Sport wheels painted in a charcoal grey. Was a fantastic little motor, a bit gutted to have got rid of it.
I intend keeping mine on the road as long as possible (as long as it doesn’t become a real money-pit!)
06-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #246
Pentaxian

I intend keeping mine on the road as long as possible (as long as it doesn’t become a real money-pit!)
The only reason I got rid is because my previous employer decided that I needed to factor in another 2x 100 mile round trips a week, minimum. Took me up to around 20k miles a year with a lot of motorway miles.
Hugely gutting decision on their part considering it wasn’t actually necessary.
06-29-2022, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a Hornby OO scale layout as a lad and have always had a hankering to get into model railways again!
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I've wanted to get into model trains (HO scale), but I just don't have a place to put a layout. A local club puts on a good yearly show that fills a small convention center with some massive layouts that my kids and I like to attend.

If I had enough room I probably would have gone with HO scale.
I chose N scale because a layout takes up half the space of HO.
Selection and prices are nearly as good as HO nowadays.

I was able to build an interesting operation on a 48" x 48" folding table.
Scenery can be removed and it can be stored in a closet if necessary.

By the time I'm retired we may have an extra bedroom and then who knows?

Chris

07-03-2022, 01:54 PM - 5 Likes   #248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With this extended holiday weekend, I decided to perform some long-term maintenance on my desert bike:

Name:  IMGP3807 - Copy.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  981.9 KB

Name:  IMGP3813 - Copy.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  922.7 KB

Still waiting for some parts to arrive, perhaps I'll be riding next weekend, we'll see.

07-03-2022, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
With this extended holiday weekend, I decided to perform some long-term maintenance on my desert bike:

Attachment 577753

Attachment 577754

Still waiting for some parts to arrive, perhaps I'll be riding next weekend, we'll see.

That’s an impressive workshop,I’m very envious!
07-03-2022, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #250
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s an impressive workshop,I’m very envious!

It's my portion of the garage, which means my vehicle parks outside 24/7, wife's vehicle tucks inside.

07-04-2022, 08:45 PM   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote

Attachment 577753

Attachment 577754

Nice motorcycle. I've got a '67 Matchless 750cc G 15 CS Scrambler. These bikes, along with their Norton counterparts were used to race in the U.S. desert, back in the 1960's .

Has the 750cc Norton Atlas , twin cylinder engine, squeezed into a Matchless frame...as built at the Plumstead Road, London factory.
07-04-2022, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #252
Pentaxian

Other hobbies. Collecting vintage motorcycles (have two), collecting vintage film cameras, collecting fountain pens.
07-05-2022, 03:08 AM   #253

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If I had enough room I probably would have gone with HO scale.
I chose N scale because a layout takes up half the space of HO.
Selection and prices are nearly as good as HO nowadays.

I was able to build an interesting operation on a 48" x 48" folding table.
Scenery can be removed and it can be stored in a closet if necessary.

By the time I'm retired we may have an extra bedroom and then who knows?

Chris
Also remember like Seldon said on big bang N gauge 1/2 the size but twice the fun. I had a train set as a kid never thought about doing 1 but I do like to watch people make and modify the model railway plans on youtube
07-05-2022, 03:49 AM - 4 Likes   #254
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still making knives. Here's what I'm using in the home kitchen right now.

Weapons of choice

Click on the link to see a BIG file in Flickr
07-05-2022, 07:18 PM - 2 Likes   #255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice motorcycle. I've got a '67 Matchless 750cc G 15 CS Scrambler. These bikes, along with their Norton counterparts were used to race in the U.S. desert, back in the 1960's .

Has the 750cc Norton Atlas , twin cylinder engine, squeezed into a Matchless frame...as built at the Plumstead Road, London factory.
Thanks.

Here it is reassembled and test-ridden (sorry, neighbors), ready to head out to the dez on Friday, a two-hour drive. High temp expected to hit 100° but I'll have used up a full tank and be gone before it hits that mark.

Name:  IMGP3821 - Copy.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  208.1 KB

I started riding in the desert during spring 1968, age 11, when desert sleds like yours were still running.

Any photos of yours?