Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Video card died.

Just a grumble. The video on my desktop computer has died. Took the computer to the shop to get it replaced and clean out the tower while it's there.

I'm not out of commission since I have an old version of Photoshop on my laptop, but it's annoying.

04-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate when that happens. I replaced the video card in mine a few months back too. Fortunately Adobe allows Lightroom to be installed on two computers so it's on my laptop as well. Hope you're back up to speed soon.
04-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't have Lightroom yet, but that's good to know. I notice a lot of software is aware now that people have more than 1 computer. I actually just ordered Lightroom 5 a minute ago.

I've always used Photoshop but I do very little post processing. I like the organization features and social media share features of Lightroom.
04-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll like LR 5 which is now 5.3. Importing image files is fast and easy especially if you shoot in DNG raw. LR does all the work. The best part of LR is that it doesn't change the original image file but saves the processing we do as a separate file so we can revert to the original at any time. The Lightroom Queen is a great resource if you need help.

04-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've always saved a separate file in Photoshop, too. I keep my original pictures and save-as for any changes. I'm programmed to do that. I like the idea of mass name changes and mass updates to the files, and that sort of thing. The little post processing I do can probably be done in Lightroom. Even though I've used Photoshop forever, I still don't use 98% of it's features.
04-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #6

The out of the box license allows you to install and run on two computers. If you need to move or run the software to another computer deactivate it on the old computer first. Otherwise you get a message saying you are over your license allowance and either have to purchase another license or deactivate one of the existing installations. If you no longer have access to the old computer you can call customer service and figure out from the MAC addresses which installations should be deactivated.
04-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The out of the box license allows you to install and run on two computers. If you need to move or run the software to another computer deactivate it on the old computer first. Otherwise you get a message saying you are over your license allowance and either have to purchase another license or deactivate one of the existing installations. If you no longer have access to the old computer you can call customer service and figure out from the MAC addresses which installations should be deactivated.
Ok cool. good to know. Once my video is fixed, that computer should last a few more years. My laptop is even older and still going strong.