Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #31

I am actually on a forum where someone didn't deliver as promised, a similar thread to this occured, and it turns out she had passed away. So anything is possible.

04-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
It looks like this thread has opened to a bit of opinon - I'd add that at least a sticky on contentious threads is in order, that way it doesn't have to be the mods saying someone is a thief, just that a sticked thread pertains to a deal off the rails. People can make there own decisions from there. When the deal is completed, the sticky is removed. If it isn't, it stays, right there at the top for all to judge.
i don't agree with this, that's basically the same thing.
it's like a "most wanted" list ... who's gonna maintain this? and it's presuming someone is guilty
04-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Have you never gotten ripped off before k100? the guy has ripped off guys in 2 different forums. It's been 3 weeks. Regardless of the reason people deserve to know this and if he comes back and everything is a big misunderstanding its just as easy for the mod / owner to delete this thread. This kind of list has been used in many many forums i've been and has been affected.

Your same arguements can be made toward feedback in general. how do we know feedback is legit or not. How about we get rid of that too.
04-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Have you never gotten ripped off before k100? the guy has ripped off guys in 2 different forums. It's been 3 weeks. Regardless of the reason people deserve to know this and if he comes back and everything is a big misunderstanding its just as easy for the mod / owner to delete this thread. This kind of list has been used in many many forums i've been and has been affected.

Your same arguements can be made toward feedback in general. how do we know feedback is legit or not. How about we get rid of that too.
luckily i haven't been ripped off, i've already mentioned i had a positive experience with this seller. i agree that you should be able to express your disatisfaction here on this thread. what i didn't agree with was roy ranting on someone else's sale thread. i'd be interested in seeing how this "good sellers" list works, but just don't think a "judicial" system on this forum would be appropriate. i know the feedback system isn't perfect, but the way it's setup, you can get feedback on the feedback by pm'ing other members.

Last edited by k100d; 04-22-2008 at 06:47 PM.
04-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TimB Quote
Both very valid points. However, to support Roy's claim, a similar thing happened to me.
I "bought" a lens from fastoys2nv and the original claim of shipping was made on 1/30/08.
There was communication for about a month, and he claimed that the lens was returned and re-shipped because of improper addressing.
And now he's gone MIA. Maybe something did happen. Maybe he's dead or something and we're tarnishing his good name. I don't know. That's why I've been hesitant to leave negative feedback.

As far as trusting someone when the package doesn't show up right away, I think open communication is very important. If you get no product and no response from the seller, then there is a very limited number of explanations.
And to back up both of them, nearly the same thing happened with me as well. However, I was able to get my money back hassle-free, and even with the offer of sending out a second un-used TC for my trouble (though that never arrived either). But I do now wonder if the only reason I got mine back was because I was the first (and cheapest sold item; same sale thread as Roy, not sure about TimB) to call him on it. While I will never deal with this person again, I will not leave negative FB since I haven't been personally wronged, but will probably now at least leave neutral FB just to help anyone in the future should he ever decide to make an appearance again. But I will still wait and see for the time being.

*EDIT* Just something of note. While it doesn't explain not refunding any money, the only person that actually received something was also in Canada. I've never sent anything across the border myself, so I'm not sure if it's the same as shipping something here or if there is anything extra that needs to be done, but if there is, maybe he screwed something up. Anyway, just a thought.

Last edited by Jodokast96; 04-23-2008 at 03:35 AM.
04-23-2008, 04:07 AM   #36
Inactive Account

From Canada to the US - for normal letter mail there is nothing extra that you have to do, other than additional postage. For package mail there is a declaration form that needs to be filled out and attached to the package (with addresses, item in package, value of item, etc.). You can't screw it up coming from Canada to the US as the postal clerk checks it when you drop it off.

c[_]

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote

*EDIT* Just something of note. While it doesn't explain not refunding any money, the only person that actually received something was also in Canada. I've never sent anything across the border myself, so I'm not sure if it's the same as shipping something here or if there is anything extra that needs to be done, but if there is, maybe he screwed something up. Anyway, just a thought.
04-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Coffee is correct - there is no way you can make a mistake when shipping.

Unless this guy is dead or in the hospital there is absolutely no reason Roy, Tim or the others should not have received their items OR a refund.

Should you wish to report this check the link below. Being in Ontario the OPP is your best bet or, the RCMP, which is equivelant to the FBI in the States.

Those who intend on making the complaint should get together so that the complaints are NOT one-off. Good luck people I do hope this ends positevly for all concerned. I hate seeing buddies screwed.

Forgot the link: Internet fraud information and complaint links [Archive] - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

04-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Well, you can't say I didn't try to give him the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for clarifying that.
04-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #39
Inactive Account

The only suggestion I would have to buyers is to always use "Paypal", or a similar service, that will protect your purchase, and ask for insurance and tracking. Never pay with cash, money order, or cheque. If these precautions are in place you can follow your item as it travels to you, and if for some reason the item isn't as described, or isn't sent - you can file a claim with "Paypal" and get your money refunded.

For a few extra dollars this is all worth it.

c[_]
04-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
The only suggestion I would have to buyers is to always use "Paypal", or a similar service, that will protect your purchase, and ask for insurance and tracking. Never pay with cash, money order, or cheque. If these precautions are in place you can follow your item as it travels to you, and if for some reason the item isn't as described, or isn't sent - you can file a claim with "Paypal" and get your money refunded.

For a few extra dollars this is all worth it.

c[_]
Paypal is not safe either. I purchased a Mamiya RB67 & lens from some guy named Adam Selbst through a photo.net ad. I sent him $300 through paypal. After never receiving the goods, though he promised it was coming a couple of times, he disappeared. I went through the whole paypal dispute/claim thing and I won the claim. They told me his paypal account was empty though, so no money for me. Paypal is definitely not the best answer either.
04-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Unfortunately nothing is foolproof. However the steps that I've taken, and noted above, have kept me safe for 700+ personal transactions on Ebay with no hiccoughs.

c[_]

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Miller Quote
Paypal is not safe either. I purchased a Mamiya RB67 & lens from some guy named Adam Selbst through a photo.net ad. I sent him $300 through paypal. After never receiving the goods, though he promised it was coming a couple of times, he disappeared. I went through the whole paypal dispute/claim thing and I won the claim. They told me his paypal account was empty though, so no money for me. Paypal is definitely not the best answer either.
04-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i don't agree with this, that's basically the same thing.
it's like a "most wanted" list ... who's gonna maintain this? and it's presuming someone is guilty
Not a most wanted list... If a deal is into disputed territory, presumably a mod is informed, who in turn simply puts a [DISPUTED] marker on the front of the thread and stickies it. The relative rarity that deals can't be solved between two reasonable parties is actually very rare. Its the unreasonable people we need some protection against. Its a hollow, empty feeling to be stolen from online as there is little to no recourse (or any worth undertaking for the amounts generally stolen). The method I've described is used on another forum I frequent and is a non-judgmental way to let others have the tools to make informed decisions as a dispute stage usually preceeds any feedback, which gives real scammers the chance to rob a few people before feedback actually helps anyone. It has prompted closure to deals that might have otherwise slid under the carpet unresolved. It has helped.

As for PayPal - modicum of protection. As was mentioned, PayPal will only recover what is available from the guilty parties account, which I was lucky enough once to get a third of the cost of an item.
04-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #43
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
I believe the mod should have some kind of sticky for a list of bad buyers / sellers. Feedback isn't really enough.
False item listings or dubious transactions are part of our zero-tolerance policy. If anyone encounters such a seller, please contact me immediately via PM and I will see to it that the user is banned from the Marketplace.

On the other hand, I do understand that certain sellers or buyers have bad habits (i.e. delayed shipping, poor packaging, etc., but I feel that in such cases, feedback ratings will do. There isn't really a need for a list of suspicious activity since those kinds of threads, when reported, are deleted on sight and the user banned.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #44
Inactive Account

I had a transaction with fastoys2nv

that was strange; but I got a refund from him. In January I paid for a lens via paypal and when it didn't arrive I tracked him down (I had to PM him on FredMiranda to get his attention -- at least that's how it seemed). He said my lens was returned as undeliverable. It was sent by Canada Postal Service. The thing is, I had just rec'd a lens from Henry's in Canada a few days earlier also shipped by Canada PS and it arrived just fine. But, what did I know? Anyhow, I asked fastoys to give me refund. The first refund was as funds to my account which I had to accept for a fee from Paypal. I told him that wouldn't work and that I wanted it refunded by the method I paid; instead I got a refund in my personal account. But, I had to wait til his account had money in it before I could get the refund, which took about a week.
Usually, I just tell my credit card company to make a chargeback and I let them sort it out. I don't bother with paypal, but, since fastoys said he was giving a refund I didn't do that. I got the refund....but, I thought the whole transaction was strange at the time. Of course, I've also got a bad feedback from some teenager here on this marketplace forum because I wanted the paid for merchandise shipped in a timely fashion.... so.....feedback isn't necessarily useful....

Anyhow, if you paid with a credit card, have the credit card company pursue a chargeback.

good luck,
Mary in Florida
04-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #45
Veteran Member

So now that's 4 people with pretty much the same story from this guy. Adam, I think it's safe to say he qualifies for a Marketplace ban?