Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

"Heartbleed" internet bug

Some lovely news from the internet... (<--sarcasm)
This was on CBC news tonight, & is on some other reputable news sites, so it isn't one of those virus hoaxes.
Basically it seems that people should be changing passwords to anything they want to keep private, but maybe not right away until sites fix the problems.
I know a lot of groups have rules about not posting virus warnings, but since this one does seem to be legit & widespread, I hope it's ok to post here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heartblee...ner-2014-4
http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-protect-...bleed-bug/
snopes.com: Heartbleed

Last edited by Alliecat; 04-10-2014 at 12:22 AM.
04-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Some lovely news from the internet... (<--sarcasm)
This was on CBC news tonight, & is on some other reputable news sites, so it isn't one of those virus hoaxes.
Basically it seems that people should be changing passwords to anything they want to keep private, but maybe not right away until sites fix the problems.
I know a lot of groups have rules about not posting virus warnings, but since this one does seem to be legit & widespread, I hope it's ok to post here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heartblee...ner-2014-4
http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-protect-...bleed-bug/
snopes.com: Heartbleed
It's not really a virus, just a flaw in certain server encryption software. Fortunately PF is unaffected (though most of our public pages don't utilize HTTPS to begin with).

Changing passwords is a good idea, but an even better deterrent would be to simply avoid logging in to sites that ask for sensitive information for the next few months, unless absolutely necessary. The vulnerability they are talking about leads to the possibility of eavesdropping, where a malicious hacker might be able to see the data you're transmitting over a connection otherwise labeled as secure. Affected sites will need to a. patch the vulnerability and b. get new SSL certificate keys to prevent future eavesdropping in case some did manage to get through earlier.

Since we're talking security one thing I'd recommend is to never use the same password twice anywhere on the net. That'll prevent multiple accounts from being compromised in case someone sees your password.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I may be wrong but unless you know that a site you go to has patched the problem, I don't think changing your password will help. If the site hasn't fixed the flaw, a new password will be vulnerable very quickly. Ars Technica announced they had fixed the problem and asked users to change passwords. So far, they are the only site I have seen, other than news stories, that have mentioned it. Thanks, Adam, for letting us know that PF isn't affected.
04-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In case anyone didn't notice the link in the second article, you can check sites here.

04-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For those with linux servers, I found by internet search of the various distros:
-But do your own check and don't act on my general info here

openssh is said to not be affected

openssl before a certain date is apparently not affected, eg my ones ver 0.9.8g and 1.0.0e are said to be OK and Fedora project site is saying versions Fedora 17 and earlier are OK.
Some sites are giving info that the openssl versions checks may be insufficient to determine if they are affected and are giving more specific details.
04-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few points: This is a discovered vulnerability in some software that encrypts data sent to "https:", which can be pretty well anything that involves financial transactions. At this point, it is a hypothetical threat, although it doesn't require a virus to be installed on the compromised server, so we really don't have any way of knowing if this vulnerability has been exploited for evil yet. It doesn't retrieve stored passwords, but if someone can get a copy of the data you send over the Internet to "secure" webpages, that data (including any passwords you entered) can be decrypted and read; so a hacker has to have access to both the server and the network the server is connected to. Which, unfortunately, is not as difficult as you might think.

Most, if not all, of the popular web services have been compromised in the past, including Facebook and Hotmail, and there is a good probability that the password(s) you use to access those services is in the hands of someone else. If you want to be able to access services from a variety of computers and devices, password vaults are a real PITA, so you need to keep your passwords in your head or within reach. My suggestion is pick a password that you don't use for any banking or automatic credit card billing, and set every social network password to it. It will probably get stolen, but we all need a good excuse for slanderous and embarrassing Facebook posts, so when your account gets hacked, it's not the end of the world. Then change your password for every bank account and automatic online payment to something you haven't used in the past. Use at least two different passwords for web services where there is real money at risk, so only half of your accounts are vulnerable at a time. Finally, pick another password that you have never used before, and never use it where spouses, kids, co-workers, etc. can see your fingers on the keyboard. Save that password for when one of your other passwords have been compromised, and you need to fix the damage. Trust absolutely no one with that password. No matter how honest or reliable someone is, they can still be careless. That means you only have to remember four passwords, so you shouldn't need to write down your passwords on a sticky note, and if you get in an emergency where you need to access an online account, you don't need to worry about keeping that note with you at all times.

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
openssh is said to not be affected
OpenSSH and OpenSSL are used for different purposes, and the exploitable code in OpenSSL isn't used in OpenSSH. OpenSHH is used for "tunnelling" of data between two computers, so a user at one computer can act like they are operating the other computer. OpenSSL also "scrambles" data sent between computers, but doesn't give users the ability to operate the other computer. There are alternative programs for both OpenSSH and OpenSSL, but they are both available to use and modify without paying royalties, and both are being updated and maintained on a regular basis, so both are very common on network servers.
04-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I do what I can to be safe on the net, but my biggest concern is squirrels eating into my phone and cable lines. AT&T just replaced 500 feet of phone line here...for the 2nd time in two years. It had a gazillion holes in it where squirrels had sharpened their teeth and sampled the tasty colored wires.
The crew replacing the lines said someone must be feeding the damn rodents, the ones he saw were almost too fat to walk the phone & cable lines......I assured him I would keep an eye out for any such person and report them immediately.

I can see where a couple of these could cause sever line sag........

Regards!