Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there any meteorologists on here?

What is the name of this atmospheric condition. This is the first time I've ever seen anything like it and I wish I had ultra wide lens to take a photo of it all in one image.
There was a perfect circle right above us that was intersecting the sun and another that was not quite as discernible that was on top of the sun but, it wasn't a perfect circle. It intersected the circular one at the opposite end of the sun. The photos below will show what I saw.
I couldn't merge the photos as one because I don't have the know how to do so.

Left side of the sun.

Right side of the sun.

Sun

Opposite side of the sun where the lines intersect.

The sun with rainbows and sundog.

Those little white lines are snow flying around and I had some on the lens.

04-15-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are many different types of halos in that scene, a result of ice crystals suspended high in the atmosphere reflecting and refracting sunlight. Wish I could have seen that in person.

The line running through the sun is a parahelic circle.

I'm not sure, but I think the faint ones in the fourth picture are Wegener arcs, which intersect the parahelic circle at the anthelic point.

The not-quite-circular rainbow halo above the sun in the last picture is an upper tangent arc. The one under the sun would be a lower tangent arc.

Last edited by Cannikin; 04-15-2014 at 04:16 AM.
04-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check out Les Cowley's Atmospheric Optics website.

Lots of help here.

Atmospheric Optics
04-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
What is the name of this atmospheric condition...
Douglas of Sweden is or was a meteorologist - with a thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/11...rages-etc.html