Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I will ashamedly admit that I was one of the "us".
I'm glad I never got into that section - I'm bad enough on the regular forum as it is!

P & R is such a trap. The first problem is that these subjects matter, and they genuinely affect our lives. So they're not something we should just ignore.

But with R (better not to get into it now by even spelling it out!) even when we mostly get it right, there's always little bits we got wrong - including ones we once thought we were sure of. And sometimes they turn out to be fairly big sized bits. And these bits can affect many peoples' lives, especially when we act upon them.

With P it's even worse, because even if you can figure out what's true, right, or just, you also have to figure out what to do about it - something that will actually work! And testing whether it actually did work can be difficult - even for the real politicians. Finally, if it ever turns out you were right, there will be someone else who's sure to make you regret being right!

Whew! That was close! As much as I care about such matters, I'm glad I never got into that section!

04-30-2014, 11:22 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get along better with people I disagree with here
than I do with people I agree with in other forums...

Chris
04-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Pretty funny!
05-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Isn't it amazing...once you get away from that sort of place, you may find that a lot of people you "hated" are pretty good people in the real world. Anyone from those days would find it hard to imagine that Rupert and the Ratlady now get along just fine, but we do! Others too.....maybe a few still hold grudges, but I'm not one of them.

Back to the origin of my post....Thanks again to all that are helpful and kind to others here, it does make a big difference. New shooters in particular need help and encouragement, and we have plenty of people here that give it.

Best Regards!

05-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #20

I have to say as a newbie here and to the world of dslr's and really any serious photography more than snapshots THANKS. I've learned a lot just by reading posts here and looking at all the wonderful pictures you guys have taken. I've only asked one question so far and you guys have been a great help with getting me the info I needed so that I didn't screw up my camera. I've only been on one other forum (a Honda V4 Motorcycle board) that has been as nice and helpful as you guys have been so once again, Thank You.
05-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kdf9511 Quote
I have to say as a newbie here and to the world of dslr's and really any serious photography more than snapshots THANKS. I've learned a lot just by reading posts here and looking at all the wonderful pictures you guys have taken. I've only asked one question so far and you guys have been a great help with getting me the info I needed so that I didn't screw up my camera. I've only been on one other forum (a Honda V4 Motorcycle board) that has been as nice and helpful as you guys have been so once again, Thank You.
Thank you! Posts like yours show we are doing our job, despite what some may think.
05-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We all have a connection to photography through our cameras. Pentax is kind of an underdog in the industry. Maybe we feel like we're underdogs a bit too so we approach photography with bold humility!

05-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
bold humility!
I like that!
05-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #24
Forum Member

I purchased my first DSLR 1.5 years ago - K30. A large part of the reason I chose Pentax (most cameras can take better pics than I can) is because of this forum and Pentax users in general. It is also a large part of the reason I added a K3 rather than changing brand.

One of these days I will leave lurking land and get more involved - life is getting in the way of my photo hobby too much right now...
05-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Thank you! Posts like yours show we are doing our job, despite what some may think.
Now Tom! You know old Rupert walks around throughout his day having good thoughts about you guys!

Maybe some have split personalities......kind to old people, children, little animals, and newbies...but meaner than an agitated snake at others if provoked.. or even imagined to be provoked? I wouldn't call that an attribute or something to admire, but sometimes it is reality.

Anyhow, this is mostly a friendly place, and most important...from what I see... a place that is helpful to others, in particular new shooters. That is very important, it helps build their confidence and excitement to continue on when they might otherwise get discouraged and quit. Over the past years I have seen many young shooters come along and in a short time far surpass my own abilities, not that it takes all that much skill to do! I feel good that along their way I was able to offer a little information, some encouragement, and some compliments that kept their spark alive.
When I view their work, I can know that what I am seeing is a tiny part of me (and many others!) in their shots.

Finally, yes, we do owe a lot to those that spend so much time here as Moderators keeping this place clean and moving smoothly. Without them it would be a gigantic train wreck in short order.....and I'd most likely be on the first locomotive to go berserk! Thanks guys, you are appreciate by old Rupert...even when you think you aren't!

Regards!
05-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All of us, myself included, sometimes forget that what we type is read by real people with real feelings.
Yes, that is so true, and we do sometimes forget that we are among a wide and varied audience. Unfortunately, for those of us that like a little (or a lot!) of humor.....or sarcastic humor, some misunderstand and are offended or angered by what is not at all meant to be serious. I try to think of that, but you can't cover all bases at all times.......If some of my posts back and forth with you were read by a newcomer, they would think we were mortal enemies and rude and crude........sometimes the reader needs to educate themselves on the situation and the veracity of what they "think" they are reading.

I recall a few years ago, where I (jokingly) threatened a poster with a conflicting viewpoint that Otis the squirrel would crash his computer if he didn't come around to my way of thinking. A few days later, coincidentally of course, his computer crashed and wiped out his hard drive.
He lodged a complaint against me and wanted me...and Otis banned for life! Like I said, sometimes the reader has a responsibility to educate themselves and take in context what they are reading.

BTW- I heard a great Aggie joke the other day, laughed my hiney off! Just now I am drawing a blank on it......you're older than me and obviously have more aged gray matter....is that a problem for you too at times? If you can think of the joke I can't remember currently, I'd sure like to hear it again!

Regards!
05-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
you're older than me
Only if you count my age in dog years.

Last edited by Parallax; 05-09-2014 at 03:02 PM.
05-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only if you count my age in dog years.
You are a slippery old dog!

Regards!
05-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

BTW- I heard a great Aggie joke the other day, laughed my hiney off! Just now I am drawing a blank on it......

Regards!
So you remember that you heard a great Aggie joke, but you can't remember what it was? Are you sure you aren't an Aggie?
05-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So you remember that you heard a great Aggie joke, but you can't remember what it was? Are you sure you aren't an Aggie?
My Dad was an Aggie and my youngest son is an Aggie.....not me. Reckon it could be contagious?

Regards!

It will pop into my head I'm sure, but I hope where I left my shades pops in first?