Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Their are those that like to hide insults/personal attacks behind the veil of constructive criticism while there are others that don't know the difference.

05-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Their are those that like to hide insults/personal attacks behind the veil of constructive criticism while there are others that don't know the difference.
So true! There are also those that take things completely wrong because they don't read from the beginning of a thread, find something in the middle or end and get off on the wrong track in responding......I've done it myself a few times.
Makes you feel like an idiot, but in my case I have a thread going here where I have already confessed to being an idiot....so it can be more easily overlooked when I screw up!

Regards!
05-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
.If some of my posts back and forth with you were read by a newcomer, they would think we were mortal enemies and rude and crude......
It didn't take long reading your comments back and forth to understand that you both are online friends and that the picking on each other is done out of that friendship not out of animosity. Especially when your (Rupert) humor is close to mine

It will pop into my head I'm sure, but I hope where I left my shades pops in first?
I truly hope they are not where I found my glasses. I spent a few minutes the other morning looking for my lost glasses. It slowly dawned on me that everywhere I looked was in focus .. Sure enough I was wearing them.. Reminded me of an ooold Lucy show episode where Fred is wearing his readin glasses on top of his head while looking for them.. The problem was I was looking THRU mine. Oh I feel old.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Thank you! Posts like yours show we are doing our job, despite what some may think.
I would say most here appreciate the job you and all the mod's do in keeping this place pleasant and civil. WE just don't say it very often..
05-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I would say most here appreciate the job you and all the mod's do in keeping this place pleasant and civil. WE just don't say it very often..
So true, the Mods don't get enough recognition here for the work they do. You know how it is in football, when there is an unruly threat at wide receiver and he has to be double teamed? I've heard rumors that old Rupert is often triple teamed here, with the Mods having to monitor his every word.......while still trying to keep the rest of the place in order. I regret being that much of a problem, but despite it.....I still slip through the cracks for a touchdown every so often!

There are some benefits to being a Mod...free booze and big fat cigars over in the Pentax Lounge, their choice of which game to watch on Game Day, and the best seat in the house on "Dancing Girlies Night". It's not much, but it beats nothing!

The Glasses Thing----Did the exact same thing just recently, but it didn't make me feel like an idiot, because I already confessed in my "Idiot Thread" to being one. I just took it in stride and went on, waiting for the next episode........when I searched my house, shop, clothes pockets, and yard for my Jeep keys.....searched for over an hour. Nowhere! Called a locksmith to see if he could make me a new key. He asked for me to get some data off the data plate inside the driver door frame. Opened the door....beep...beep...beep......Yep, key was in the ignition.

I'd like to blame this on old age, a deteriorating mind, or just plain idiocy, but in reality it is more likely to be a result of overload, and the stress it causes. Old people, at least those like me, are involved in too many things, have too little time to do them all, and suffer the consequences. It happened when we were young too....think about it.....in times of stress or overload we all get a little goofy.
Why does it often get worse as you get older? Well, Mrs Rupert will retire this year, and as it is currently, I only see her at night and on the weekends. Can you imagine the extra stress old Rupert will suffer being under her microscope 24/7? Yep, it's gonna be a killer on the stress levels.......she is like a Moderator on steroids!

Best Regards!

05-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, Mrs Rupert will retire this year, and as it is currently, I only see her at night and on the weekends. Can you imagine the extra stress old Rupert will suffer being under her microscope 24/7? Yep, it's gonna be a killer on the stress levels.......she is like a Moderator on steroids!
Yeah I have one of those as well. She retires in about three years . I think I will keep working so as not to be around enough to get into much more trouble with her than I already do.
05-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Why it's different here I can't say for sure, maybe you have some ideas about that, but having just witnessed at another site, a young shooter with a new camera, all excited and thrilled with his new camera and his new shots...get shot down in cold blood...
One day I asked my son similar question about canon forum. I've never felt comfortable there, and there are a lot of arrogant statements about practically any topic. He actually explained it well: nearly amateurs who think they know everything are the majority there. And I have to agree with him.

Actually, I'm very glad that I bought used Pentax for playing with old lenses. Because I ended up on this forum. The most important thing : I feel comfortable here as an amateur. The criticism is constrictive, and that's the most helpful thing ever. Before I thought I will never be able to get interest in DSLR-s, ever.
I put my canon aside for a while, then returned as totally different shooter. Only because I came here. Not like I leaned everything, but shooting is enjoyable. I got rid of all total amateur frustrations here.
05-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
and there are a lot of arrogant statements about practically any topic
Yes, it happens far too often on most forums, sometimes even here, but very seldom. The Mods generally are on top of it quickly. I do get the feeling here that most are not just willing, but anxious to help a new shooter get off to a good start. We have some talented shooters that can be a real help to a new member, and they not only can help, they do!

Regards!