Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

shipping from Canada

I know that when I have shipped an item to Canada I have to ship it a certain way so the buyer doesn't have to pay large amounts of duties/taxes.
I recently found a good deal on a lens, but the shop is in Canada. Will I get hit with taxes or duties? I know that I have bought things off of ebay that where from Canada and never got any tax bill or anything.

If anyone has an idea, please share.

Thanks

01-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

my experience

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/buy-sell-trade-forum/2319-shipping-us-can...html#post20506

Summary:
From Canada --> US

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use FedEx second day air for expensive items.

I did this with Vistek to obtain my FA* 200/4 macro. No sales tax, no brokerage fees, nothing. It costs $70 to ship, but that's a lot cheaper than taxes and brokerage fees.
01-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Shipping from Canada

When shipping from the USA to Canada by courier we here north of the 49th are always charged a brokerage fee by the courier companies who have their own brokerage houses. This, even though they must know that cameras are duty free.
That is why most Canadians specify ONLY USPS. NO couriers!
Furthermore, Canada Post very often does not collect GST or PST ( now 14% ) taxes. Couriers always do.

Whether couriers operate in the same greedy manner in the USA is something you should check and, if necessary, specify Canada Post or some other means of shipping.

Mickey