Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #1

photography as a job, suggestions?

i'm in high school and i'm looking into photography as a career choice. i was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions about how to get a start on that. please post any insight u might have.

04-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I'll just post in here as well, since I have a similar question. I'm thinking of using my photography hobby as a way to help pay for college (my school is real expensive). How would I get started on this? How can I sell photos and such that I've taken?

Hopefully, this will benefit both of us.
04-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Wow, what a complicated subject. I am not the one to answer this as I have talent bordering on none and welllll -- none. However, there are folks on this forum who outright make a living at being photographers and some who do photography as a secondary income producer. One thing I have noticed looking at their photos and reading books on the subject is -- they are not unlike "artists" they have an inborn understanding of skill-sets I can only dream of understanding and an "eye" for what makes something special. I really think you are born a photographer vs what I am a person who takes photographs.

All this said, I am sure there is some degree of luck in becoming "recognized". I believe this is where you make the money. Remember there are tons of starving artists whose skills are wonderful.

So, good luck to you and I wish you success. There are a lot of very successful artists who were told to "go get a real job" who rejected that and went on to become giants in their field.

Give it your best shot and don't be discouraged by the tons of rejection given to truely talented folks.

Gary

Last edited by squarerigger; 04-27-2008 at 11:34 AM.
04-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Inactive Account

For me, it's not about making a solid career of it. My folks have to pay 30k a year for the next four years to put me through school. I need to help out with that, and I should do that by doing something I love. Wow, I didn't mean to jack the OPs thread. The original question is how one gets started in the field of photography?

04-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by squarerigger Quote
Wow, what a complicated subject. I am not the one to answer this as I have talent bordering on none and welllll -- none. However, there are folks on this forum who outright make a living at being photographers and some who do photography as a secondary income producer. One thing I have noticed looking at their photos and reading books on the subject is -- they are not unlike "artists" they have an inborn understanding of skill-sets I can only dream of understanding and an "eye" for what makes something special. I really think you are born a photographer vs what I am a person who takes photographs.

All this said, I am sure there is some degree of luck in becoming "recognized". I believe this is where you make the money. Remember there are tons of starving artists whose skills are wonderful.

So, good luck to you and I wish you success. There are a lot of very successful artists who were told to "go get a real job" who rejected that and went on to become giants in their field.

Give it your best shot and don't be discouraged by the tons of rejection given to truely talented folks.

Gary
thank you for ur encouragement and thoughts i'll be sure to keep that in mind and keep trying. one thing i'm looking for is mostly how to get introduced and get off to a good start.
04-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #6

try reposting to the General Pentax photo forum

One suggestion would be for you to start this thread over in general Pentax photography - this "general talk" section where you've posted is for things unrelated to photography - you might get more suggestions in the 'general photography' section. At least folks reading over there are in a photographic frame of mind!
04-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tmutchf Quote
One suggestion would be for you to start this thread over in general Pentax photography - this "general talk" section where you've posted is for things unrelated to photography - you might get more suggestions in the 'general photography' section. At least folks reading over there are in a photographic frame of mind!
thats a good idea. i have started a new thread in General Pentax photography and i hope people will reply in both. thanks

04-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I can only assume a basic knowledge of spelling and grammar would help.
04-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I can only assume a basic knowledge of spelling and grammar would help.
His spelling and grammar aren't so bad. But he does need to save up for a keyboard with shift keys.

NOTE TO MODS: This thread needs to be merged with his other one.
04-28-2008, 05:57 AM   #10
Not Registered

Here there are some suggestions:
1) Start shooting for the high school/college newspaper for free. Get some things published, go to take pictures and try to sell them on local newspaper. If they like you they might call you from time to time to cover some things.
2) Look around your area for Pro-photog. Offer yourself as an assistant for free. That usually means to carry things from one side to the other, if you are smart enough you will learn. After suffering as a slave for a few months, you will be learning and (if the photog is nice) you migh have second camera options for gigs. If you are good enough he/she might even give you some assigments. As an assistant is more important to know how to behave that to know about photography so dont try to impress the photographers.

This plan depends on the area your are living in and it only works if you are avalaible when you are needed. If you are not 100% committed you are done.

If you want to be an artist I dont think that there is a path that leads to success, is almost more important to know how to sell yourself than being an amazing photog (althought it helps). At any case, try to learn as much as you can and try to dont miss your vision. It is good to learn from and to listen to others but it is also important to listen to yourself.

BTW, I am no-pro and have no interest in being it.
04-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

I would suggest that you get training in business, photography and maybe journalism. If you want to have your own business, then you should understand what it takes to run a business. Running a business is not a function of your ability as a photographer.

Take some journalism courses - learn how to follow, develop and report a story. As photographers we are essentially storytellers - learn how to write, it ain't easy.

Take varied courses in photography, just to get a handle on technique. Remember, there are formats out there that could serve you just as well as your Pentax digital. (Think MF and large format film/digital) There are schools/workshops that teach studio, landscapes, portrait and other types of photography - look for them. Look for grants and sponserships to further your studies.

But remember, when you do get "out there", this will not be a hobby. You will have to grind away, work for people you do not like, work in places you do not care to be in, sweat the details and you have to get up in the morning and do it. No excuses, no mommy to get your breakfast ready, no paid holidays and no summers off. Your work schedule just might be working every normal Holiday that others have off - you will be working.

Now I hate to quote Mr. Rockwell - for several reasons - but he does have some good points here:
How to Become a Professional Photographer
Some of the stuff he says is pure bunk (don't go to schools etc.) but there is some truth in what he says.

Remember, unless you are very-very good, your "Art" will have to wait. The babies, pets, brides, gardens, cars and other people will have to come first.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
04-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Making money from Photography: Is that the question of the century: there are so many folks that would love to make money from their work with a camera: But just a few do get there and why: Look at Flicker web site and any other site that have photo's !
Well they have paid the price , by going to school and working crazy hours and days and nites , they have had the Luck to be in the right place at the right time or they work is so good they got the work they wanted:

My suggestion would be, make your work real good , make sure you can deliver on your work and within the time alotted , and you may have to work for nothing to get the experience as a helper just to learn, I did when I started out !

I regret I did not stay with it ,[Maybe] could have been Profitable?
Remember you only get what you put into it: Good Luck

Last edited by sqjaw; 04-30-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: grammer
04-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

ok, ready... inturn with local wedding guys, if you can find comersial shooters, thoes too, it may not pay much or any but can turn into cash if you assist them after the inturnship, or they get a client who doesnt want to pay their fee, they send them to you
Open doors with your foot and leave it there, start pushing the rest of your body threw.
Once confortable, go after the wedding and portorait market (not glamerous, but will support your LBA) use it to branch into other fields.
Also it doesnt hurt to work for a school photography company, again not glamerous but more steady and you can make great contacts when people come up and ask "hey you do weddings or XYZ"
Or, get a real non-photo job and become a weekend shutter bug. I will admit to you unless your uber good and lucky or just lucky it takes a while to become self sucficent doing the things you want to do. Took me 4 years before freelancing for the papers (what I love) became more than 50% of my yearly income. the remainder was filled by weddings, grip and grins and school photography.
Or go to school for 8 years, get a MFA and teach