Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Meh. Shaker is separated from Slacker by only one letter, which is included in both.

06-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian

From my perspective this man is a total idiot. He equates doing something amazing with your life with having a good website and selling lots of stuff. And he's stolen Steve Job's picture, when we all know if Steve was alive he'd be suing this fraud right this very minute.

It's the typical psych warfare propaganda.

Run down the person you're talking to. Tell them they are worthless... get them to believe you can help them, take their money. After they still don't do anything special, keep their money.

Who has done things amazing...

Jimmy Carter, Bill Gates, and the amazing thing about these men to me, is that after they retired and could have coasted, they went on and made perhaps their biggest contributions after what made them famous. Steve Jobs, the banner boy for this site, did nothing but make a pile of money, which he couldn't take with him when he died, and ended up not being any use to anyone. SO what was special about those two... they had a conscience. They looked at what they had been given, said " I don't need all this and I still have what it takes to make a contribution" and gave something back to the world. Now that's something amazing.

To me the amazing people who put their lives on the line for their country and their way of life, I'm a pacifist and will argue against war and it's causes, but in the end, I will always have more respect for those who put their lives on the line for their beliefs, whether I agree with what they do or not, than the armchair cheerleaders like this guy.

And having been in the US civil rights movement and anti-war movements, I now find it easier to talk with old soldiers and other who put themselves on the front lines for what they believed in, than these corporate types. There are lot's of us who have done something amazing, got out of our comfort zones, and did something for others, looking after more than our own bottom line. There are lot's of amazing people, I meet them all the time. From all political parties, religions, races and beliefs.

This guy, he's not doing anything amazing.
06-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This guy, he's not doing anything amazing.
What he really means is big and visible. You and I know little church ladies who do more amazing things than Warren Buffet and Bill Gates did.
06-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well, honestly, I think we should have some sympathy for him. I've known many Type A personalities in my life, and not a one of them was truly happy or content. It just doesn't come with the personality. What satisfaction they get from a big gain is quickly diluted by the need for even greater achievement.......it is a never ending cycle. For most of us, it would be a cycle of grief.

I may not be the sharpest tack in the box, but I do listen to Otis, who is, no doubt!

Otis says, when you find your Comfort Zone, enjoy it!...life is short, don't let it slip away!

Regards!

06-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

at the risk of sounding like an apologist for the author, you aren't his demographic. just like the lost soul looking for direction that finds a cult, mid to late 20-somethings who are looking for a nudge in one direction or another to find their place in this world are his. or small start up business owners who want to take the next step.

his "spiel" is the same motivation used for athletes to get to the next level. it's a different take on the mantra "challenge yourself to see how good you can become." when I was pursuing a career in professional sports I needed motivation like that. when I was in the army and preparing for combat, I needed motivation like that. but now, like most of you, I'm almost 50, in mid management with 2 degrees etc etc. although I like a good adrenaline rush now and then, I drive slower than I used to because it just takes too much energy for the reward. 10 minutes isn't as important to me now as it was 15 years ago. I don't need a life coach or strategist. I don't need a reason to get up every morning, I'm just happy I still can get out of bed. Does what he says resonate with me a little, yes. Would there be things I could still do to be "amazing", yes. However what are the risks and rewards. At this place in my life, there's a lot of risk, and there better be a hell of reward at the other end.

think of it as analogy of how one might live in a house - some people are nomadic, staying in one house just long enough to recoup the cost of moving and they are gone, some people buy a house and love the fix and flip, some people love building houses from scratch and others might build a house and stay in it their entire life. his blog (keep in mind he's not a professional writer in any manner, though he did apparently like his philosophy classes) is geared toward the nomads, the wanderers, those that are looking for direction and way to step out of the chaos that is their life. Their rut is a negative rut, like the person who complains about being broke but smokes three packs a day and won't take the time to rework a resume written in 2002.
06-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just had my 40th High School Reunion. Two of us are Fortune 500 CEO's. Quite a number of us are owners of small businesses. Many of us have accumulated or inherited significant wealth.

The happiest among us are the very few who have learned to be comfortable as we are, however that is, whatever we've done. A few of us had a conversation about our happiness - what one described as 'the freedom to just be myself.' We've somehow thrown off the shackles of peer pressure and managed to do the things we want to do while providing for our families as well as we can. For some of us that means forsaking that last sales call and being home for dinner every night. Over a lifetime, that choice means a lot of money that could have been earned, wasn't. For others it means volunteering or teaching or leading youth or coaching or intentionally living in a smaller house and saving money or tithing 20% or just not acting like we're something that we're not.

So what's amazing?

I work with a guy who produces $23,000,000 a year, 100% from advice fees. Really! Starts at Zero every month. 50% Payout. You figure it out.

He regularly tells me he hasn't been home on a consecutive Friday, Saturday and Sunday night since 1978. There are literally 638,000 people whose retirement plans perform among the best in the country because he has done for his entire working life what he has done.

You've never heard of him.

Has he done something amazing?

Or is it the guy who spent twenty years practicing and learning to be a Boy Scout Leader, who has helped over 100 Scouts earn the Eagle recognition and thousands to camp and cook and read a map and use a compass. In an age of McDonalds and GoogleMaps on a Cell Phone, who cares, right? Then he spent ten more years teaching other people how to do what he'd learned to do - giving away everything he's learned.

How about the guy who was an English Major, whose undergraduate advisor gave him a list of 1000 books to read before he died. 2 books a month - that takes more than 40 years. He finished last year.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-13-2014 at 12:22 PM.
06-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The guy wants to be super-salesman. He's the type of guy I watch for and avoid when I am buying things

06-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #23
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
leading off the article with a picture of steve jobs, as if it was something that we should all aspire to... by most accounts, steve jobs was a complete jerk to work with.

then using phrases like "state controlled media"... the author is a conspiracy whacko.

i'm glad that i only scanned through it!
06-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Eh, I dunno. I probably don't need to click the clickbait to figure out what's behind the headline, but hey, just cause I actually did grow up under the kinds of expectations only a child prodigy in a police family could ever really know, I actually *did* do a lot of amazing stuff in my life. Hec, I'm reminded just now I was even in a sword fight once, (Texas, go figure) and who can say *that* in this day and age.

I mean, a lot of things do suck, but even some of the pretty stupid stuff was pretty amazing. A lot of it was even amazingly not about trouble.

I guess what's *not* amazing is how stupid and troubled people are being anyway, without even daring anything, never mind doing anything. I think it's very sad that everyone's some kind of 'failure' if we don't happen to be on top of a game that's only 'amazing' in that some people still think that's worthy, never mind defining of the 'best and brightest' in our world. I mean, forget about it.

To be honest, I never expected to survive to the age I am now. But as for what *anyone* has made of this world, I'm distinctly unamazed.
06-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

When I was 13, I pitched 17 Little League no hitters in one season, a record I think still stands. The next year I had every coach in the county knocking on my door....but I never played again despite the pressure and bribes they put on me. I had enough, I was done. I think I was born to seek a comfort zone that fit my needs, not the admiration of others. I also think it is pretty amazing that I found it long ago and have spent years enjoying it and not chasing some magical numbers or fantasy life. Amazing may dazzle others, but happiness will dazzle you!

Regards!
06-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I already did something amazing with my life - decades ago. I survived the 60's, mostly intact.
Tom I agree with you about the 60's.