Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

The title did get my attention - and I did skim the article. Interesting read, so here it is....

05-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting - so there's still hope for old iconoclasts.
05-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

He does raise some good points.
05-17-2014, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Two words...."Comfort Zone". Once you get in it, you never want to leave. Many of us have worked hard to get in it, and once there, refuse to budge. We are not the "movers and shakers" of the world....but we are damn comfortable!

I have two sons, the youngest a mover and shaker, just graduated with his 2nd college degree last night.......after 22 years in a career he planned starting from the third grade....US Army Lt Col retired. Now off to start a new career, and well on his way at age 46, already with a comfortable retirement income and benefits for life, but still striving to reach out for new heights and new adventures in life.

Oldest son, hard worker, optician for an eye surgeon, provides well for his family, has a comfortable life, and is "in the zone". No more college for him, no more climbing the ladder, just enjoying life as he goes along..........I don't have a problem with either one. We need both, and fortunately, we have both in this world.

The movers and shakers don't need this guys advice, they are already ahead of him in achieving their goals.....and guys like me aren't interested or even offended....we are "In the Zone" and we like it there!

Where are you?

Regards!

05-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You took the words right out of my mouth, Rupert. So it makes the author happy to run around, fighting The Man, believing that everything regular people think and do is wrong. That's fine, but he thinks that no one else would be happy unless they do just like him. The "mover and shaker" attitude just makes me tired. I just want to be comfortable. I don't need to be better than everybody else.
05-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah he is right, with what he says, but in the end he is still selling something, himself.
05-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
The "mover and shaker" attitude just makes me tired. I just want to be comfortable. I don't need to be better than everybody else.
Movers and shakers are not always the happiest of people, their goals when reached, almost never bring the satisfaction they sought. On the other hand, for us non-achievers, a cold beer with your feet propped up, a good supply of camera gear, all your bills paid, and a few dollars in the bank is worth more than a trip in the "corporate jet".

Found this six pack the other day for $2.42......pretty decent stuff too! It's not like finding a bargain stock, and buying a million shares, but it tastes good!

The writer of the "7 reasons" had his own definition of success, and we have ours. I may have more money than he has...or less....but I know a Comfort Zone when I'm in one, and he may never find that joy.

Saturday night, an old pair of boots, some loose fitting "farm pants" and a bargain priced cold beer....beats the hell out of flying on a corporate jet on the way to Hong Kong for some "big deal". Heck, I even have a new Big Screen TV, what the hell more could you ask for!
Regards!

06-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bletch...wish I could get those few minutes back.
06-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hahaha... This guy is unemployed! That drivel is his resume! Scroll to the bottom. He just wants to be perceived as a go-getter while he waits on his butt for some corporate dude (or dude-ess) to call him with an offer. The antithesis of 'practice what you preach'...
06-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just tell the "shakers" that you are 'into boredom'
06-11-2014, 03:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Two words...."Comfort Zone". Once you get in it, you never want to leave. Many of us have worked hard to get in it, and once there, refuse to budge. We are not the "movers and shakers" of the world....but we are damn comfortable!

I have two sons, the youngest a mover and shaker, just graduated with his 2nd college degree last night.......after 22 years in a career he planned starting from the third grade....US Army Lt Col retired. Now off to start a new career, and well on his way at age 46, already with a comfortable retirement income and benefits for life, but still striving to reach out for new heights and new adventures in life.

Oldest son, hard worker, optician for an eye surgeon, provides well for his family, has a comfortable life, and is "in the zone". No more college for him, no more climbing the ladder, just enjoying life as he goes along..........I don't have a problem with either one. We need both, and fortunately, we have both in this world.

The movers and shakers don't need this guys advice, they are already ahead of him in achieving their goals.....and guys like me aren't interested or even offended....we are "In the Zone" and we like it there!

Where are you?

Regards!
+1

(You must be ever so proud!)

I was once like the guy in the article. I was alone and without children. Without anybody depending on me I was advancing my career through jobhopping, learning, taking lots of risks, bluffing, experimenting with completely different jobs/roles. Sometimes failing, often succeeding. But once I got a morgage, wife, child, etc stability, solidity and a steady income became MUCH more important then advancing. To be honest, I'm ever so much happier now then back then! And I feel much more usefull then back then.

It think it's only natural for all of use to go through a period of "moving and shaking" in order to find our comfort zone. That's the way it was with me anyway. And yes, surely for some people that "moving and shaking" is their comfort zone and are happy to stay there.

Personally, I think the writer is full of himself. But who is he? Raymar Tirado, an unknown "sales consultant" that wrote a depressing blog about how good he is. Sounds like he's in a little comfort zone of his own. Someone should wake him up.
06-12-2014, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

You know, I was again thinking of this thread today, as I looked out my home office windows at the birds and squirrels out in the Woods of Otis, prepared to go out about town and visit my friends, and checked my notes to see that all my bills are paid and there is money in the bank.....enough to buy my several girlfriends some nice chocolate, and Mrs Rupert a nice dinner when she come in from work.

Looking back on my own life, I find it all pretty amazing that I am still around, and in such a fantastic comfort zone at my age. Amazing certainly depends on your definition, but my amazing is plenty good enough for me. Would I trade place with the guy that wrote the article......Hell no! But...if he was as smart as he thinks he is, he would trade places with me in a heartbeat!

Regards!
06-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Imagine if this guy joined PentaxForums. What would we see from him? Endless selfies.
06-13-2014, 03:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I already did something amazing with my life - decades ago. I survived the 60's, mostly intact.
06-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I ever ran into this guy at a bar I'd have to change tables.

Chris