Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Postage to OZ?

I want to get a few items for the states and I need to know which postage service is better?

Tele converteres.Filters etc

The 2 options are UPS or USPS? UPS charges more than 3times the rates set by USPS

Any horror stories?

Any great stories?

Thanks in advance

cheers

05-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've used USPS over UPS to ship to Germany and England with great success. It was 1/3rd the cost of UPS, even with insurance, proof of delivery and tracking#
05-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I posted this info couple months ago:
=====

In the last 8 months I have bought close to a dozen items from forum members shipped from US to Australia by USPS. Generally my practices are:

- For items less than $200: Okay to use the least-cost USPS 1st-class International, $10 for 1-lb, $13 for 1.5-lb (that's plenty for a lens/zoom packed with generous bubblewrap).

- Btwn $200-$400: Same as above but add $10 for Registered Mail, which provides better tracking & requires my signature on delivery (minimizing the risk of item being lost).

- Above $400: USPS Express Mail International *with insurance*, total cost ~$35 for 1.5-lb

PS: I find that regardless of 1st-class or Express they take around 6-8 business days to arrive, mostly depending on seller's town. If posted from a small town it easily adds 2 more days to the journey. Have not lost any item and touch wood it's not going to happen anytime soon.
05-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've maybe had a dozen items shipped USPS to Melbourne. Not a single problem. Fast and inexpensive. Full marks to the United States Postal Service, would that Australia Post was half as good.

05-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey Ivan,

Much to my amazement my K10D came via UPS, no choice in the matter. No extra charges, around $50 or so for three day shipping.

If you are looking for stuff pm me, I'm chasing a lens, we may be able to bulk my order.

Dale
05-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
^^^ heard from another forum about UPS services and it didnt rate very well

+ the cost is very competative when compared to UPS
05-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Damn Brit

I think it is always wise to use the national postal service for any country when shipping abroad rather than a private company.

05-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

USPS all the way, have had well over hundred items shipped down from the State's & have never lost or had damage to any of them.

Surprising the only item I ever lost was with UPS & they charged twice as much as USPS!!!

USPS Global Priority I find is the best & quickest to Oz.

Wal'

Last edited by wwwmorrell; 05-31-2008 at 06:32 AM.
05-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
USPS all the way, have had well over hundred items shipped down from the State's & have never lost or had damage to any of them.

Surprising the only item I ever lost was with USP & they charged twice as much as USPS!!!

USPS Global Priority I find is the best & quickest to Oz.

Wal'

Is that the same as Express Mail International

(EMS) and whats the turn around

cheers
05-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Is that the same as Express Mail International (EMS) and whats the turn around
You can read it here USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service)

Global Priority is now called Priority Mail International. It has an $11 flat-rate envelope for up to 4 lbs but I don't know if we can pack a lens in it. Otherwise it goes by weight. Per lb PMI is cheaper than EMI but costs more for insurance, adding up almost the same as EMI. In my experience similar delivery time too.
05-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

To save you from finding all the details for comparing let me give a summary.

USPS First-Class Int'l is cheapest but has two restrictions: 4-lbs max and insurance not accepted.
If you have >4-lbs *and* don't need insurance, choose Priority.
If you want insurance use either Express or Priority, very little difference in total postage+insurance.

I have had the cheaper First-Class delivered faster than Express, my guess is because the Express item was high value with insurance so got held up longer at Australia's end for verification.
05-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
mfc

ups wont deliver if theres no one at the address{a good thing}
usps left a 400 dollar lens on the door step of my flat wile i was at work!!!!!!
05-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had exactly the same experience MFC. Not only on the doorstep but where the rain could get at the parcel. Fortunately I discovered it evidently very shortly after it was left as it was barely damp.
05-31-2008, 01:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mfc Quote
usps left a 400 dollar lens on the door step of my flat wile i was at work!!!!!!
Ref. my post #3 above, with $400 item I'd have paid for insurance, or at least registered mail, then it would require signature on delivery. If you're not home they leave a note in your mailbox to come collect it at the postoffice.
05-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #15
mfc

it was a da21 and it was insured