Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Credit Card vs Debit Card

Does usings a debit card for online purchases provide the same level of security as using a credit card?

05-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Does usings a debit card for online purchases provide the same level of security as using a credit card?
by debit card, you mean a bank-issued card directly linked to a checking account, and credit card meaning a financial institute (not necessarily a bank) issued card linked to a line of credit on which you pay monthly? to know which is safer, you should read your agreements on both cards, as different institutions offer different degrees of fraud security and whatnot.
05-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi dosdan

Re your query:

QuoteQuote:
I can only speak for the U.K., but when purchasing goods exceeding £100.00 in value with a Credit Card, you are covered against loss, damage or fraud etc, whereas you are not (necessarily to the same degree) with a Debit Card. However, you need to check with your issuing Bank or financial organisation, who will explain the terms and conditions that apply in your personal circumstances.

Best regards
Richard
05-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Usually banks will have some kind of security for their debt/credit cards, you only pay the first $50 of deputed charged for example. You'd have to check with your bank to be sure since they can be different. Most credit cards from major underwriters have this type of policy. I know for sure that Citibank does. Personally I'm paranoid and only used a service like PayPal or a credit card not linked to a bank account to pay online. In the case of the credit card I have at least 30 days until I have to worry about some kind of fraud.

05-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #5

In the US, the credit card is safer than the debit.

Part of the reason is the way fraud is treated: Credit card fraud carries stiffer legal penalities than debit cards.

With credit cards, you are only liable up to $50, but the risk with debit cards (as far as Federal Reserve is concerned) is $50 within if reported within 2 business days, and UNLIMITED loss after 60 days of reported activity.

Here's a good link on debit card fraud: Debit Card Liability - The Risks of a Stolen Debit Card

And a link in general on credit vs debit: Debit vs Credit - Using Debit vs Credit Cards in Everyday Life
05-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm using a Visa Debit Card linked to my credit union account and using it to pay Paypal transactions and also for other online purchases. I'm interested solely as a buyer.

Recently I used it to put $200 credit into a Paypal account to pay for eBay purchases, but as I understand it, I'm losing any Visa Debit Card protection (if any) this way, and relying solely on Paypal.

What about no longer topping up the Paypal account (it's almost empty now) and just using Visa Debit transfers via Paypal when required?

Or should I consider getting a credit card and using Credit Card via Paypal? I don't want to directly pay eBay transactions directly via cc.

What about cc via another third-party payment organisation?

Last edited by dosdan; 05-02-2008 at 05:12 PM.
05-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I hear a lot of talk about how you should always use credit cards rather than debit for online shopping. The reasoning is that if somehow your number got stolen you have the credit card company to deal with and not an empty bank account. That makes sense. However, I have had my bank issue me 3 new debit cards in the last couple of years because major retail stores have had their systems hacked so it really doesn't matter I don't think. If you want your bank account safe, don't use your debit card at all except to get cash from your own banks atm. That really doesn't work for me so I use my debit cards for gas and grocery shopping. I suppose an alternative would be a seperate bank account for shopping and just deposit what you need for purchases. I shop online and mail order with a credit card. LBA would not exist without credit cards. LOL.

05-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My debt card is backed by Visa rather than just the traditional Cirrus debt card system. The Visa backing provides the same protections as any Visa credit card. I linked my Paypal account right to the card so that I can keep those protections.

QuoteQuote:
Part of the reason is the way fraud is treated: Credit card fraud carries stiffer legal penalities than debit cards.
Here in Colorado, they are all called "Financial transaction devices" and all are legally the same.
05-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I have a Visa Debit card with my Credit Union and any purchase I make has the same protections as any Visa credit card. It might be a good idea to ask your financial institution tho.
05-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
My debt card is backed by Visa rather than just the traditional Cirrus debt card system. The Visa backing provides the same protections as any Visa credit card. I linked my Paypal account right to the card so that I can keep those protections.

Here in Colorado, they are all called "Financial transaction devices" and all are legally the same.
I would NEVER use a debit card for an online purchase. With a debit card, the money is taken directly from your account. If you get scammed, the scammer has your money and a dispute will not put the money back into your account until the dispute is settled. With a credit card, you don't owe the money or the scammer doesn't get your money until the dispute is settled.

Never, ever, at anytime, use a debit card for online purchase.
05-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'll just echo the other sentiments. Credits cards tend to be much safer than debit cards. The only real reason I see people dumping CC's is that they were irresponsible with them in the past and a debit card prevents running up huge debt if you can't trust yourself not to spend money you dont have.
05-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I gather the debit cards in the US are different to those in Australia. My debit card carries the same protections that Visa offers all its credit card holders, they don't pay for my stuff first... I do. Dan needs to call his bank/credit union to find out.
05-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I asked my question at the Credit Union of Australia website, and here is the reply:
Please be advised that there is no difference, our buyer protection is
the same across the board for all our cards we offer.

Last edited by dosdan; 05-07-2008 at 03:26 AM.
05-07-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Let the retail theropy begin