Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
My 4 year old Toro manual cautions strongly against the use of E-15. Lowes, and I imagine Home Despot will sell you "pure" gasoline for about $4 per QUART. If you google pure gasoline you can probably find stations in your area selling gas without ethanol.
We have a few that sell pure gasoline most sell only the 10% blended and more are selling 15% blend I gassed my truck today and noticed the station had 15% blend in separate hoses with warnings all over it and that part in yellow so as not to get it confused with the reg blend. It was roughly 70 cents a gallon cheaper than regular.
I just had to get a new mower for my daughters house. It is a Murray It says not to use Premium or gasohol with higher than 10% alcohol. Avoid fuel with 15% or higher alcohol mixture.

07-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Leaded gasoline will no longer be available in the United States after December 31, 1995. I know there isn't a place in my area that has it. I'm building a Stroker 350 engine with over 450 hp and will have to run 97 octane
07-09-2014, 04:55 AM   #33
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm a big fan of ethanol.

Sometimes I even use gasoline blended with it.
Me too.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, if your diet is based on the corn tortilla as a staple you really don't appreciate E10 or E15 fuels.
Monstro loves a steady diet of Soybeans.

07-09-2014, 04:59 AM   #34
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Leaded gasoline will no longer be available in the United States after December 31, 1995. I know there isn't a place in my area that has it. I'm building a Stroker 350 engine with over 450 hp and will have to run 97 octane
Leaded racing gasoline is still available, but the price per gallon is getting pretty steep.

Since the engine in my race Z is not extremely high compression I have been getting 100LL avgas at my local airstrip. A little more than the unleaded 97 from the pump, but way cheaper than the 110 octane racing gas.

(And yes, I know the octane rating system is different for avgas. )

07-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #35
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Gone are the days of tinkerers
I still "tinker".

But then I was a mechanic for 30 years, and refuse to let some underpaid hack fiddle with my vehicles.
07-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #36
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I think a cell phone jammer that starts up when the engine is running would save lives, but people love their phones.
That would be nice.
07-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #37
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Small engines and ethanol seem to be a different story. My 4 year old Toro manual cautions strongly against the use of E-15. Lowes, and I imagine Home Despot will sell you "pure" gasoline for about $4 per QUART. If you google pure gasoline you can probably find stations in your area selling gas without ethanol.
Not a single piece of plastic anywhere on my lawnmower.

And it will even run on "white gas".

Remember that stuff?

I used to do my own auto repairs: carb rebuilds (remember them),.....
When I was still turning wrenches a young guy was hired in the shop where I worked. He had never even worked on anything that had a carburetor, but only on electronically controlled fuel injection systems. One of the trucks we had was a Vactor, one of those elephant looking rigs that has a big tank on the back and a snorkel over the front that are used for pumping out storm drains and such. The industrial engine on it was a Ford inline 6 cylinder engine, with a carburetor.

Of course it required occasional repairs and adjustments, ignition, timing, and the carburetor.

One night the foreman asked him to bring it in and figure out why it would not start (the carb needed a rebuild).

The kid flatly refused, proclaiming he had never worked on anything with a carburetor, and knew nothing about them.

I simply explained that they are simpler and easier to work on than electronic fuel injection systems, the foreman gave me the job and let the "kid" do a brake job on a pickup.

07-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #38
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Exactly. I expect the next step is carbon fiber.
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Carbon fiber autos are in the forecast.
Carbon fiber cars are already here. Just not in the mainstream yet.

High end exotics from Ferrari and others already have full carbon fiber bodywork and some even have full carbon fiber chassis.

But you need to be filthy rich to own one.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 07-10-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: "own" not "won"
07-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Talking about carbon fiber bodywork:
Yep, they're making a car
07-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #40
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Me too.......
Nah. Not a bourbon fan.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-17-2020 at 11:16 AM.
07-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Carbon fiber cars are already here. Just not in the mainstream yet. High end exotics from Ferrari and others already have full carbon fiber bodywork and some even have full carbon fiber chassis. But you need to be filthy rich to won one.
Yeah I know, but I was talking mainstream where The normal Joe can afford them.
The higher end is where the manufacturers like to introduce the new stuff then it trickles down to the vehicles that the average person can afford .Most of what was brought out as coming down the pike is already out in 1 or 2 models but is planned to be brought out as standard in a short time.