Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EBay/Paypal

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

There has been much discussion here about the vagaries of Paypal and, indeed Ebay.
I dont know if it applies in US/Canada as well, but I received a popup on my ebay this morning advising the as of 17th May , or thereabouts, ALL listings For Sale on Ebay, must have Paypal as payment method.
Paypal and 'Pick up Only" payment will be the only 2 options.
The Paypal fees receipts will soar, and/or the items for sale may drop.
Does this apply over in your part of the world guys?

Keep it up and it will become Extinct Bay me thinks.

05-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
There has been much discussion here about the vagaries of Paypal and, indeed Ebay.
I dont know if it applies in US/Canada as well, but I received a popup on my ebay this morning advising the as of 17th May , or thereabouts, ALL listings For Sale on Ebay, must have Paypal as payment method.
Does this apply over in your part of the world guys?

Keep it up and it will become Extinct Bay me thinks.
Bruce, I've not seen anything here that would indicate a policy change like that.

In the US, that action would be a violation of the Anti Trust laws.

I would think that if that were really the case, you would have received an e-mail/message from e-bay with that policy change.

You might copy that pop up and send it to e-bay and ask them if it is true. I've sent them many inquiries in the past and they always give me an answer within 24 hours.

Ed
05-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think, according to this, it's for certain power sellers only (at least I hope):

eBay Requires Enrollment for PayPal Expanded Seller Protection
05-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ebay sure does love their double dipping on the fees.

05-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ebay Selling Changes???

It appears that what I stated is correct
Have a look at this :

Selling changes - eBay
05-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Ed in GA

It appears that what I stated is correct
Have a look at this :

Selling changes - eBay

Must apply to only e-bay Austrailia at this time.

I'm surprised that the anti-trust laws there would allow such a thing.

I suspect that there will be a lot of withdrawn items from e-bay that will be sold directly from the seller to the buyer.

Ed
05-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your right, Ed, they're screwing us Aussies for all they can get, yet again I reckon.

05-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I received a popup on my ebay this morning advising the as of 17th May , or thereabouts, ALL listings For Sale on Ebay, must have Paypal as payment method.
This is BS! They have already raised the fees for auctions and PayPal. They have restricted any advertising or links to alternate payment methods - except cash or check of course. Now they are experimenting with this crap in Oz? Forget Ebay!!

In case some people don't know, you can list an item on Amazon.com and use what ever payment method you want - including Google Checkout (checkout.google.com). You may need a gmail account. If you want an invite to get a gmail account - PM me. I have about 20 referrals left.
05-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
This is BS! They have already raised the fees for auctions and PayPal. They have restricted any advertising or links to alternate payment methods - except cash or check of course. Now they are experimenting with this crap in Oz? Forget Ebay!!

In case some people don't know, you can list an item on Amazon.com and use what ever payment method you want - including Google Checkout (checkout.google.com). You may need a gmail account. If you want an invite to get a gmail account - PM me. I have about 20 referrals left.
don't think you need a referral any more
05-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Interesting. Noticed that Henry's in Canada, who for the longest time didn't take paypal (so I've used Prodigital - whose prices I think are better anyways) have just started taking paypal. Maybe a sign? Being forced?
05-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Like some of those comments, your right of course, its absolute BS.
With the way price trends are on eekbay, more and more will be giving it a wide berth I reckon.
I dont use it near as much as 12 months ago. Maybe even less now.

Like I said before : Extinct Bay or ExBay perhaps