Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess I would private message someone about something like that, but I doubt I would stick my nose in if I didn't take the photo in question.

That said, I do feel as though copyright issues in photography are treated in far to trivial a manner. If I got up at 5 am and dragged myself and my gear out somewhere to catch a shot of a dawn, that's mine unless I give you specific permission to use it. The fact you can grab images easily on the internet doesn't make it less stealing.

07-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I would private message someone about something like that, but I doubt I would stick my nose in if I didn't take the photo in question.

That said, I do feel as though copyright issues in photography are treated in far to trivial a manner. If I got up at 5 am and dragged myself and my gear out somewhere to catch a shot of a dawn, that's mine unless I give you specific permission to use it. The fact you can grab images easily on the internet doesn't make it less stealing.
I understand that's the better solution, but still...I would have been 100% welcoming of the same were the roles reversed...

And I recently came across the perfect metaphor for that:

"Just because I park my car in a public parking lot doesn't mean it's there for you to take."
07-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
how I just arrived at my favourite restaurant is important enough to broadcast?
I thought that's what twitter was all about... I didn't get involved in that either.
07-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

One of the reasons I don't have much of an online portfolio yet is because 90% of the people I've shot for have demanded full rights to "their" photos, including the right to use them as they please online sans any credit to me. These days the clients I get they seem to think they and only they own any image of them. In their minds it's not a joint thing at all. They view me as the person that they paid to take their photos, and that's it. I have no rights whatsoever in their eyes. Most of them don't even want prints either.

I've seen several photos of mine altered, used as Facebook backgrounds when I never gave anyone the right to do that. But trying to get that credit or a take down just isn't worth the bad publicity I might get. This is why if a photo is important to me I watermark it. Watermarks can be removed, of course, but I do try to make it a bit hard for them at least. From what I can tell people on Facebook and the like they're used to using whatever they like and they don't like to be reminded that they're doing something that isn't okay. She knows she did something shady. She doesn't care. She'd rather just unfriend you and delete your post than remove it. This is very typical of the people on there. If they can't see you anymore, you don't exist, problem solved.

I've almost kind of given up with my clients. Most of them don't want their shots online unless it's on their social media sites. They won't sign a model release most of them unless they're getting their shoot for free and even then half the time they use my photos online after and don't credit me even though they agreed to. I'm starting to do free shoots with the understanding that a model release and a form stating that I completely own any photos is required. Paid clients, I can't not agree to their ownership really. Not if I want to eat...

It used to be the photographer owned all rights to their pics, but like it or not that's just changed since the advent of social media and digital. Watermarking and model releases aren't all that effective. People like this woman will use stuff regardless, but it's all we've got really. The only alternative is hiring a lawyer and spending more time in court than in the studio and I'm just not sure it's really worth it. It's like putting your finger in the hole in a cracking wall when the whole ocean is behind it pushing on it....

07-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It used to be the photographer owned all rights to their pics, but like it or not that's just changed since the advent of social media and digital.
There's always film. Supposedly, the cool people wedding clients here are asking for film. Studio B&W wet printed 11x17 like your mother and my wife had done. Artist Board-mounted and framed. MF ceremony shots.

Really neat artisan stuff.

They use digital for the reception and to buy CD's for the wedding party.
07-20-2014, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being popular on Facebook is like sitting at the cool table at an insane asylum!

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-21-2014, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Facebook.

One day people will look back at FB and shake their heads in disbelief that people actually used it.

07-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Facebook.

One day people will look back at FB and shake their heads in disbelief that people actually used it.
Actually, I use it to keep in touch with classmates and friends, but I limit the people with whom I deal. Some are true drama queens in every sense of the word and I quickly "unfollow" them. Life's way too short to deal with wackos.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I know General Talk isn't the place for photography stuff, but I didn't know where else to put this little anecdote
This isn't, IMHO, photography related per se, so I think it's fine in GT. I edited your title to read "Not photography related".
07-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Facebook.

Uh, that's been my attitude since day one. But then again, I feel the same way about reality shows.
07-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Is my generation so inherently narcissistic that we believe others actually care about that and how I just arrived at my favorite restaurant is important enough to broadcast?

-Heie
In my experience, yes.
07-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
In my experience, yes.
I don't think there's anything wrong with posting mundane, silly, completely superfluous fluff on Facebook. That's kind of what it's for. I keep in contact with my friends through Facebook and yeah, I DO want to hear about all of their frivolous thoughts and experiences. Friends talk about those kinds of things. There's a place for deep, soul-wrenching, mind-expanding, game-changing conversation, but it's not Facebook. And that's OK. I really, honestly do want to hear what my good girlfriend down in Texas is going to do this weekend and I would like to look at a shitty cell-phone pic of her fancy drink with an umbrella. I'll probably even "like" it. ;-)
07-21-2014, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

I don't have any FB friends. Even my wife "unfriended" me.

Last edited by p38arover; 07-25-2014 at 03:06 PM.
07-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Facebook.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Uh, that's been my attitude since day one. But then again, I feel the same way about reality shows.
Remember when you had to have a .edu email address to join Facebook?

Remember when your college Facebook was actually a book? Of course everyone was in 10th Grade and weighed 100 pounds less when that picture was taken.

Sort of like Facebook.
07-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Before unfriending an actual friend on FB, I would send him/her a private message of some sort- or call them up with the issue. Then, if I still feel like I have to unfriend them, I "mean it" and the real-life relationship has also been compromised. Other "casual" FB friends that seem to populate my FB page, of course would get no warning at all, lol.
That said, I almost never do it myself, but I've been unfriended many times, and mostly for no reason that I could ever figure. A female friend of several years did this last year "out of the blue", and after considering that action, I simply ceased all contact with her and moved on (hey, I can take a hint!). FB can be brutal.