Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was just unfriended on Facebook... (Not photography related, I promise ;)

A friend that I've known for over 15 years posted an image as her profile picture. Another person commented how she loved the image and would like to print it to hang on her wall. "Print away!" was the response.

As a photographer, I felt compelled to casually mention copyright ownership with the following comment:

"Hey Jaimie, I'm not trying to be a stickler or anything, but are you sure you have the ability to give away the image like that? What I mean by this is, do you own the image (as in it is not *of* you, but taken *by* you)?

Assuming the worst, there's going to be a pretty upset photographer "

Not just unfriended, but completely deleted and blocked (can't find her anymore).

I'm not immature enough to be upset about it (how are people still stuck in high school? We're nearing 30 dammit!).

I know I have a history of being told my approach can be rather....um....abrupt, but that?

Just flabbergasted is all...

-Heie

I know General Talk isn't the place for photography stuff, but I didn't know where else to put this little anecdote

07-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Facebook, 'nuff said. The sane posts on FB get lost amidst mutual admiration, trolls, or glurge (yes, it's a word).

If this person is a real-life friend, call or email them off of FB.
07-19-2014, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Heie, in my experience, people who are doing the wrong thing usually don't like to be told about it, and there is a strong "shoot the messenger" bent to a lot of folks. Certainly if you are going to criticize someone for the actions, do so in private. In a case like this, I try to decide if I'd rather be friends with the person or rather correct the injustice. With some people, you can't have both.
07-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I know General Talk isn't the place for photography stuff, but I didn't know where else to put this little anecdote
You probably could have put it in General Photography.

07-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So you accused someone of illegal activities in front of their friends and family and you are wondering why they unfriended you?

That type of conversation should be had in private me thinks.
07-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't think your wording (as you quoted it) was rude or hateful, but it is kind of "none of your business", in the most sophomoric use of the phrase. Facebook friends are grains of salt. I deleted a guy the other day for blowing up a very opinion-based news story I shared. He just wouldn't let the damn thing die. FB does get juvenile sometimes...

Makes you appreciate the high-class, freakishly polite group at PentaxForums. :-)
07-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I get both side of the coin, yes it is juvenile to delete someone on facebook for that, but in todays digital age the vast majority of photographers are not professional and so reproducing photos in a way that won't damage the production of income is a non issue. In my opinion there is probably a case for joint ownership of images between the photographer and subject unless the rights of one have been signed over.

07-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I empathize. When my Facebook "friends" post unattributed images I check their origin. Most of the time the image has been stolen long ago or was stock somewhere. Occasionally, I'll mention the provenance, dropping the photographer's first name as if. That tends to work. Once someone's teenage daughter piped in hectoring, "Don't steal photos Mom."

I think it is important to remind Facebook friends that photos are property, especially if one posts shots on Facebook like I do now and then.

M
07-19-2014, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

My FB cover photo is one my daughter took. Her first landscape! (Yes, mama's proud!) My phone wallpaper is a picture that I took. I'm thrilled to be able to take my own shots for these types of things!
07-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a hard time believing that someone could be acquainted with you for 15 years and not expect you to say something in that situation.
07-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Makes you appreciate the high-class, freakishly polite group at PentaxForums.
Rather, aren't we just so.
07-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
A friend that I've known for over 15 years posted an image as her profile picture. Another person commented how she loved the image and would like to print it to hang on her wall. "Print away!" was the response.

As a photographer, I felt compelled to casually mention copyright ownership with the following comment:

"Hey Jaimie, I'm not trying to be a stickler or anything, but are you sure you have the ability to give away the image like that? What I mean by this is, do you own the image (as in it is not *of* you, but taken *by* you)?

Assuming the worst, there's going to be a pretty upset photographer "

Not just unfriended, but completely deleted and blocked (can't find her anymore).

I'm not immature enough to be upset about it (how are people still stuck in high school? We're nearing 30 dammit!).

I know I have a history of being told my approach can be rather....um....abrupt, but that?

Just flabbergasted is all...

-Heie

Chalk it up to a lesson learned - Facebook is probably not the forum to have conversations like that, especially publicly.

It would have been a great idea if the image she was offering free prints of was taken by *you*, otherwise it's kinda considered a 'mind your own business' deal. That said, an 'unfriend' is a rather extreme response, you didn't phrase anything rudely.

Last edited by jsherman999; 07-20-2014 at 12:06 PM.
07-20-2014, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This whole discussion begs the question, "Why are you on Facebook?"

It is remarkably freeing to delete everything possible from the Timeline, mark everything possible Private, Disable the account and just stop going there.

The shakes only last about three weeks.
07-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This whole discussion begs the question, "Why are you on Facebook?"
Given the mountain of problems well documented with Farcebook....your question is the most sensible answer here. However, Farcebook does serve a purpose..it helps us distinguish those among us that feel there is nothing important enough about their personal lives to shield from the entire world.

Regards!
07-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey everyone - thanks for chiming in

I never accused her directly and never got technical and even mentioned the word copyright - just a casual "are you aware of this?" in what I thought was an amicable manner. Is it so unrealistic to expect a dialogue between adults, rather than be so afraid of being corrected and criticized that even at the slightest hint of wrongdoing we are unable to acknowledge it? I just was taken aback that such gross immaturity still exists. Like, that's the part that upsets me psychologically and intellectually (not the unfriending lol)....for her behalf, if that makes sense.

And regarding why FB - as much as I hate it, it really is the easiest way to stay connected with people, and with how spread out my contacts have become as a combination of the Army and my travels, it's worth it.

What I don't understand though is the chronic posters who detail their every detail and emotion. Is my generation so inherently narcissistic that we believe others actually care about that and how I just arrived at my favorite restaurant is important enough to broadcast?

-Heie