Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
All too true. We need much, much better screening of Dept of H. Security sorts, and of local police, sheriffs departments, and anyone who is to be granted the authority to "push people around" as you put it.
Actually, these jobs should be among the best-paying jobs in the country - certainly more than the $40M +/- they get for that work. Same with public school teachers.

Pay public employees better than you pay private industry and you'll have a self-screening system.
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
BTW, there are women in these positions who are just as noxious as men.
As I said . . . .

09-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can never be too careful...

I was out in the hallway of my school, with two teenage girls, one of them walked down the hall to get something from her locker, the other waited beside me outside my classroom. Her friend, reached to the top of her locker on her tip toes, tall skiing girl backlit in the hall way, sunlight from the window streaming through the window. I said "That's nice" thinking it would have made a nice picture. The girl beside me said, 'Did you say she has a nice ass?" It was days before I heard the end of it.
Wow... With all the recent stories of inappropriate relationships between teachers and students your thinking aloud could have caused you no end of misery. Only days before you heard the end of it? You got off light.

I made a comment at my son's elementary with the worst possible timing. Just as I stepped up to the door of his classroom and began to turn the handle a teacher walked up to my immediate right. I look to my right to face her as I pushed the classroom door open. I should add that the classrooms all open to a covered walkway and not an enclosed hallway. The teacher I faced was wiping sweat from her face and said, "98 degrees..... Must be a new record for May." I replied as I continued to open the door with, "Whoa... That's hot!" thinking it's not just me it really is usually hot.

This is the worst timing part. As I opened the door saying "Whoa... That's hot!" one of the teachers aides was bending down to pickup a notebook immediately in front of the open door.... This aide was an attractive woman mid 20s and her derriere....... I'll just say she didn't lose the genetic lottery. My son's teacher and the second aide were obviously appalled with what I had just blurted out.... Instead of the usual warm and friendly greeting from the teacher and the second aide they were both very cool. Just barely civil.

I could not believe how bad all that looked. My face must have been the colour of a beet. All I could do was collect my kid, say goodbye and leave... The teacher and second aide didn't respond. The aide who had won the genetic lottery flashed a sly little smile and said, "See y'all tomorrow."

The teacher and the second aide became less cool towards me by the end of the school year. The genetic lottery winner.... She was always very pleasant. :-)

Had I been a teacher at my son's school I would have plenty of explaining to do. lol
09-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been accosted by a stranger at the beach while photographing my own kids play in the surf. What a fun world we live in. The woman marched over to me with a determined look on her face and commenced to question me in quite a rude manner about my right to photograph them. I stayed polite and simply said "They're my kids". Did not get an apology - just more suspicious looks. I felt like telling her to F off, but luckily my better judgement prevailed.
09-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would have called the cops and reported her for assault , verbal assault is no different from physical as far apart from the physical pain but the same mental pain,

09-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've been accosted by a stranger at the beach while photographing my own kids play in the surf. What a fun world we live in. The woman marched over to me with a determined look on her face and commenced to question me in quite a rude manner about my right to photograph them. I stayed polite and simply said "They're my kids". Did not get an apology - just more suspicious looks. I felt like telling her to F off, but luckily my better judgement prevailed.
Bleh, so it seems to be the same everywhere in the world. I've had a: "Where do you think you're going with that child?!?" when walking my own daughter from school to home. Without camera, I might add. Just other mothers from my little village assuming that a guy picking up a child can't ever be right. Kudos to you for staying polite! I wasn't able to manage that. Such situations do call for an appropriate level of impoliteness, imho. Many sealions will be jealous of the sounds that I produced that moment. Even if only to have anybody in a 100 meter radius remember for many years that I am without any doubt the father. Anything short of "&@%$#&!!!" seems to apologetic.

What's worse is, ever since that incident I notice each and every look people give me when I'm going somewhere alone with my daughter. It always feels like I'm doing something wrong. I hate it. And I'm always quite releaved when she shouts: "Daddy daddy!" when I pick her up from school again.

At the same time though I do realise that when one of those pesky nosy strangers prevent my daughter from any harm with their rude behaviour, then I would herald them to the ends of time. For example, when they prevent a real stranger from picking her up from school. So strangely enough, I don't know if I would like them to stop.
09-10-2014, 03:58 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
At the same time though I do realise that when one of those pesky nosy strangers prevent my daughter from any harm with their rude behaviour, then I would herald them to the ends of time. For example, when they prevent a real stranger from picking her up from school. So strangely enough, I don't know if I would like them to stop.
There's a profound thought!
09-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #52
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I sometimes wonder if it really is as bad or dangerous out there as it is made put to be?
Go to one of the websites in your State that shows a map with red dots of child molesters in your town and you will realize just how dangerous it really is for little children. Absolutely sickening.

Dewey did the right thing, though it is a shame that he had to. I too love little children, but also use extreme caution to make certain there can be no question of my intentions.

Regards!

09-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Go to one of the websites in your State that shows a map with red dots of child molesters in your town and you will realize just how dangerous it really is for little children. Absolutely sickening.
Sadly, here in my country, the privacy of the people that have completed their punishment is very well protected. Such disclosure of molestors locations would not be legal here. No doubt, I'd check such data thoroughly. But I think, if I find any close-by, then I'd immediately regret looking. Because I wouldn't be able to do something about it anyway.
09-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #54
Inactive Account

Rupert is quite right!
When I first moved to this small village, 3,000 folks, I thought how peaceful.
Then I started getting the nasty treatment if I was even seen with a camera.
I asked the local police about it. I was told I was thought to be a pervert or something. So I went to my county website, searched for sex offenders, and then proceeded to get ready to move! There are 10 in this town alone! 8 of which have been convicted for messing with small children!
Now I never have my camera in the open while in town. And I avoid children like they were the plague.
BTW. I have 5 children, 12 grand children, and 1 great grand child.
Disgusting world we tolerate today!
09-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Dewey did the right thing, though it is a shame that he had to. I too love little children, but also use extreme caution to make certain there can be no question of my intentions.

Regards!
You are partially right. It's registered sex offenders, which include child molesters, but a whole lot more. For example, in Michigan, get caught urinating in public will get you put on the list. Remember that if you ever come here and drink a lot of beer some night.
09-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #56
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
. Remember that if you ever come here and drink a lot of beer some night.
If they did that here my red dots would light up half the State...and it's a big State! I once pulled over one night and opened the hood to cover as I took a much needed leak just before my bladder exploded. A Sheriff's Deputy pulled in alongside and asked what the problem was....told him the truth. He said leave the hood up a few minutes, I'm right behind you! It's a lot different here, assuming you use a little common sense and don't stand out in the middle of the road. In that case it could get severe....they will just run over you!

Regards!