Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

razors, anybody use?

So.

I started shaving twice a day in the 90s because my GF would not do things if I had any stubble.
After that I learned I liked being really smooth all the time. It's not compulsive or OCD or anything,
but I generally shave twice a day.

I lived in Japan a while (working, not military) and they do not like hairy gaijin devils at all.
So I actually shaved twice a day (razor) and another two times a day at work with an electric.

Except the times I would get my hair cut and the guy would do a straight razor shave which was
heaven on earth. It actually was like the bugs bunny cartoon complete with green tonic.

I'm also a bit annoyed at the price of these 3,4,5,8, 10 blade things.

So I've made the big plunge into the arena of
safety razor shaving.

For those of you that do not know this is where you whip up your own lather, and shave with a single
blade that is like little ninja swords. Circa 1960.

The equipment was about $100 plus a few hours on Youtube to learn how.

I have not done it yet. But I will soon.

What are your experiences? What do you think? Advices?

07-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, that's the way people used to shave. And, it works just as well, if not better, in my opinion, than the 3, 4, 6 blade shaver. I'm thinking of going back to those too!
07-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I switched to a double-edge safety razor a few years ago (a Merkur). The cost of consumables decreased dramatically, although no question there is an entry price. Of course when I decided to start trying out straight razors about 6 months later the 'entry price' climbed quite a bit, as I found vintage NOS as well as the world of custom makers.

I had a few slices with the DES when I first started; usually from the way I would initially press the razor against the cheek. But very minor stuff and not much worse than a disposable 'safety razor'. When I started using straight razors the blood started flowing a bit more :-) Although whenever I switch back to the DES razor now days I am always nick/ cut free. Using the straights helped my techniques with the DES razors. I still get a nick or two with the straights, though.
07-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The entry price on a straight razor that uses disposable blades (no interest in sharpening) is very high.
Plus the skill level....

I read up on it but I doubt I ever have the nerve.

I can say this. When dude gave me that shave in Japan, I had no need to shave in 5-7 days.

07-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've used them all through the years. I started shaving with double edge blue blades and switched to the stainless steel injector razors in the late 60's - early 70's. I then grew a beard which stayed with me for for 20 years. I began shaving again in the late 90's because I was doing a lot of truck body repair and painting and needed to wear a respirator. I was working without one and getting sick. As expensive as they are, the Fusion Proglide razor is the one I use. If I have to shave, I want a good, smooth, comfortable shave although now that I'm semi-retired, I'm considering going back to the Grizzly Adams look.
07-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Switched to a DE at the start of this year, after having used an electric exculsively since I've been shaving (only 24), and I feel like a serious bad-ass at the end of the process. I have an Edwin Jagger 89 for a razor and I love Feather yellow blades.

I have yet to have a straight blade shave, and a shave once every 3 days is the shortest interval I can get away with otherwise I get some razor burn on the neck. (still trying to find that perfect angle for the against-grain pass on the neck)
07-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Always interesting to find out about other men's habits.
I shave whenever I notice I need to shave, and I use whatever I have on hand lol
I tend to change my facial hair every few months, too (sideburns, goatee, beard, combinations thereof)

I stopped caring much about it when I once had a rather long beard, and nobody noticed when I shaved it completely. Even the girlfriend needed quite some time. So now I shave at my own pleasure

07-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't deny if I can master this I can claim master of the badass lol
07-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote

I can say this. When dude gave me that shave in Japan, I had no need to shave in 5-7 days.
Yeah, that's the nice thing about a good straight razor. I hone on a leather strap but have not done any sharpening myself yet. I have a couple stones but need one that is a lot higher grit for finishing.

I got into this because I was already introduced to sharpening/ honing/ stropping with kitchen knives. The process of maintaining the edge and sharpening is not terribly difficult but you do need the right accessories. A few different grades of natural stones could easily eat up $1k.
07-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use a no frills all stainless steel Weber safety razor with a long knurled handle. Made in America too.
Attached Images

07-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shaving? No... It's been a few years since this face saw a razor. Shaving is one of the worst things I can think of doing.

However, if for some reason I would ever decide to shave again, it would be with straight and/or safety razors. I have never liked any electric or multi bladed gizmo.
07-22-2014, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Razor?...what is that, some kind of primitive torture device for scraping and cutting your face?....not for me.
07-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine is a different brand but looks exactly like that.
07-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Gillette Mach ...something or the other, with 4 blades. I hate shaving with a passion and this does it nice and easy with the vibrating head. Haven't been cut since I started using them years ago. The price of blades is steep...they have an armed guard at the blade section in Walgreens....but I can easily get 3 weeks out of a blade.
Straight razor in my house? Not on my life with Mrs Rupert and Otis around here!

Regards!
07-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a safety razor somewhere. I changed to disposables years ago. I tried electric a couple of times and hated it.

Whilst I had a moustache when I was younger, I've only had a beard once - I grew it when working in Saudi Arabia and was away from home for 3 months. My wife didn't recognise me when I got off the plane.

I don't understand the de rigueur unshaven/stubble look on male models. I wouldn't have thought women would want that stubble rubbing over sensitive areas of their skin. Besides, I think it looks stupid.