Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

My tomato plants are kickin' butt!

I'm gonna' have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year. Since the weather turned hot in the past few weeks, they've really taken off. They're well over 5' tall.... and continue to grow at an amazing rate. Two beefsteaks, an early girl, a Goliath and a 4th of July cherry tomato. I can hardly wait till I have my first tomato and mayonaise sandwich of the year. There's not much Mother Nature can offer that beats a nice, ripe, warm-from-the-sun tomato with lots of acid! Oh man, my mouth is watering just talking about it!

Last year, I grew this monster! It measured 17" in circumferance.

Dewman
SW Idaho

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 12:50 AM.
07-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I'm gonna' have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year. Since the weather turned hot in the past few weeks, they've really taken off. They're well over 5' tall.... and continue to grow at an amazing rate. Two beefsteaks, an early girl, a Goliath and a 4th of July cherry tomato. I can hardly wait till I have my first tomato and mayonaise sandwich of the year. There's not much Mother Nature can offer that beats a nice, ripe, warm-from-the-sun tomato with lots of acid! Oh man, my mouth is watering just talking about it!

Last year, I grew this monster! It measured 17" in circumferance.

Dewman
SW Idaho
Stop bragging and start shipping. I am all for tomato sandwiches
07-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I must admit that I add a bit of meat or cheese but the mater and Mayo is the attraction.

Alas I too am still watching that pink one turn red; a sorry state for this part of the country.
07-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow! Im impressed. Those big ones are pretty hard to grow, right? Had some in my garden a couple years ago, but they got overripe very quickly and became soft.
I had some small tomato plants last summer, but an unexpected storm broke most of them. They were still tiny plants, so many branches got torn up (along with the support sticks). Don't have a lot of room to grow these things, but I do enjoy it

07-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wow! Im impressed. Those big ones are pretty hard to grow, right? Had some in my garden a couple years ago, but they got overripe very quickly and became soft.
I had some small tomato plants last summer, but an unexpected storm broke most of them. They were still tiny plants, so many branches got torn up (along with the support sticks). Don't have a lot of room to grow these things, but I do enjoy it
No, the big ones aren't any more difficult to grow than the small ones, you just have to plant the right variety of tomato plant. The Goliath variety is HUGE! That's the kind in the photo I posted. A 17" tomato is bigger than a grapefruit and overhangs the sandwich by a wide margin! I'm going to have more tomatoes this year than I could possibly eat so I'm planning on making a bunch of salsa. They grow a lot of peppers and onions in the area, so I've got plenty of good, fresh ingredients for my special, "secret" recipe. Bummer about your plants last year! The only thing I have to worry about is tomato worms! Ugly creatures, those rascals. But, I'm thinking they might make an interesting macro subject.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

SW Idaho you also have that great volcanic soil to grow stuff in too! Looks yummy.....
07-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
SW Idaho you also have that great volcanic soil to grow stuff in too! Looks yummy.....
Yep, and mix a little peat moss and kitchen compost in with it and you've got some mighty prime growing medium. Add some of my neighbor's rabbit manure coupled with our long, hot summer days and it's almost ideal. I keep going out every morning thinking I'm going to hurry them up into ripening, but it's the old "watched pot never boils" thing! Irritating as heck! It's worse than waiting for the postman to deliver a new lens!

Dewman
SW Idaho

07-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

WOW
speachless