Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Point and Shoot better than DSLR

Here in Aus. there is trouble brewing. Choice magazine has tested a suite of cameras, and has no trouble in telling consumers that many P&S cameraqs are better than DLSRs.

Over at DPexpert, Terry has a thing or two to say about this.

Choice did not test any Pentax DLSRs.

Dale

05-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Boy, that'll confuse consumers.

Thesedays here in Aus, there are lots of people in professional careers buying that latest high priced dSLR in the store window (ie. Canon or Nikon), because they 'want to take good shots'. I wonder what this article will do to their camera choices...
05-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I looked up this Australian Choice magazine.

Looks a lot like our German "Stiftung Warentest" magazine (translated: "Product test Foundation").

Stiftung Warentest is a publicely supported magazine which tests everything, from Shampoo to DSLR (just like Choice, I guess).

They are famous for having no clue if it gets more complicated than comparing calories from fat (just like Choice, I guess).

However, they may be better than their reputation (unlike Choice, I guess).

I say this because recently, they did a test of 2008 P&S cameras. They came to the conclusion that they all are worse than the best 2007 cameras and recommended the better 2007 models which were still on sale. They even argued that it may be because of smaller margins, smaller sensors and the megapixel crazyness. Not bad for a Shampoo tester

They also did a test with P&S, bridge and DSLR in one competition and came to a reasonable result (not useful, but reasonable).

So, Australian Choice magazine must be a particularly bad instance of the "we test everything" magazine.
05-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Actually, the magazine is probably right. While a DSLR will take better pictures once you learn to use it, a quality point and shoot will probably work better for the "consumer". To get the full capability out of any brand DSLR requires some learning that most consumers aren't willing to do. They just bought a "pro" camera and if they don't get "pro" results the camera is broke or its junk and they switch to Brand X. You don't have to read long in any forum to see examples of this. But its is the "consumer" demand for DSLR's that brought the prices down to a level most of us can afford. I wouldn't worry much about that article. Joe Consumer goes to the ball game and sees the pros with their DSLR's and big long lenses and he wants one too.

05-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is one compact camera I know of that can match and often beat the picture quality of a DSLR, but it's also $850 Canadian. The Sigma DP1.

But to get that picture quality there are several sacrifices.
Such as, Your limited to equivalent to a 28mm prime lens.
Plus it's a slow shutter speed.

And here's the best part. There's no way a newbie can get the most out of the camera.
So they won't get many good pic's to start with.
05-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

read the "How we test digital cameras" and look at the criteria.

I would bet a DSLR wins in versitility, but if image quality is looking at depth of field, i.e. how much is in focus, A DSLR with longer lenses and bigger sensor has less depth of field than a P&S, and therefore moght not do as well.

A DSLR, regardless of how many easy use features get added, is not as easy to use, as a P&S and for msot people, even DSLR users, who don't go outside low ISO ratings, a P&S is all that is necessary.
05-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

In looking at this article and reading what they had to say, for most consumers it is a P&S that is better for them. In most cases a P&S is in their best interest and one camera they will use for those family and friends shots. One they will take on vacation and not have to worry Just point and shoot and you get that great vacation shot for the scrap book. For some just like most of us hear graduate to the DSLR because they want more latitude in their pictures.
You have to remember (and not be offended) that most simple consumers want a simple camera, something small and compact they can put in a pocket and have ready at the drop of a hat. These consumers don't want to fool with exposure and lighting and make that perfect shot they just want to show their friends and family where they have been and the fun they had.
Each camera made has their own niche and the P&S has the biggest market share.

05-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
You have to remember (and not be offended) that most simple consumers want a simple camera, something small and compact they can put in a pocket and have ready at the drop of a hat. These consumers don't want to fool with exposure and lighting and make that perfect shot they just want to show their friends and family where they have been and the fun they had.
My mom has taken more pictures in the last year with her little compact P&S than she did in the 18 years I lived at home. It's simple and easy, and it's perfect for her. When you are sharing pictures of family members, they don't need to be super artistic. I love seeing the pictures of my niece, and it doesn't matter that they are snapshots.
05-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
In looking at this article and reading what they had to say, for most consumers it is a P&S that is better for them. In most cases a P&S is in their best interest and one camera they will use for those family and friends shots. One they will take on vacation and not have to worry Just point and shoot and you get that great vacation shot for the scrap book. For some just like most of us hear graduate to the DSLR because they want more latitude in their pictures.
The same cheaper, too small to hold steadily, more-megapixels, more noise, more "let's incorporate spatio-temporal noise reduction (3DNR) into the camera to trying and rescue the picture from the noise", more useless "features" (gimmicks), more auto-everything that keeps getting caught out in real-world situations and the more convenience trends have wrecked havoc with consumer video cameras. There is none of the current batch that appeal to me at all as a person trying to cheaply record live events. That's why I keep buying older models. I have 3 Panasonic NV-GS400 (PAL) 3CCD video cameras now.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 05-08-2008 at 03:23 PM.
05-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

They qualified at the beginning, it all depends on the person, budget and what they need to do after with that image (if any at all) and for most consumers a P&S will do.
05-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, for the average consumer a PS is a better camera choice than a DSLR. Saying they'll get better images is wrong however. I wouldn't point anyone who isnt' into photography to a DSLR.
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Same as "Consumer" magazine here - haven't a clue about dSLRs, their findings were a joke.