Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

"The Nectar of the Gods!"

I have come up with a concoction my daughter has dubbed, "The Nectar of the Gods." It consists of a frozen A&W Rootbeer mug filled with half Tropicana Orange Juice (with pulp!) and half Diet Sunkist Orange soda. I then place it in the freezer until ice crystals begin to form, then I take it out, stir it up real good and..... voila! "Nectar of the Gods!"

I'm now famous throughout my kingdom! All the neighbors come to visit, especially during the heat of the day, asking for a sample of my citrus blast! Even if I say so myself, it's pretty dang tasty! Might want to give it a try, but if you don't like tangy, orangey stuff, you won't like it!

Dewman
SW Idaho

08-01-2014, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That sounds really good, but the true "nector of the Gods" comes from Islay, Scotland.
08-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That sounds really good, but the true "nector of the Gods" comes from Islay, Scotland.
Yeah, but that stuff tastes like peat moss! But, it's most definitely the quickest way from point "A" to point "B"!

Dewman
SW Idaho
08-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Yeah, but that stuff tastes like peat moss!

Dewman
SW Idaho
Yes it does! Peat moss, salt, seaweed, and iodine. It just doesn't get any better than that.

08-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes it does! Peat moss, salt, seaweed, and iodine. It just doesn't get any better than that.
Parallax, you need to come down out'a those Black Hills for a spell, son! Iodine? Good grief! You need some of our fine Idaho potato vodka!

Iodine? Really? .............IODINE?

Hmmm........ iodine. My, my.

Dewman
SW Idaho
08-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you're going to do all that why put in DIET Sunkist? UGH. Use the real stuff for cripes sakes. Sounds pretty good actually, but not if I have to deal with the back taste of aspartame. I can't stand diet soda. I don't drink soda all that often anymore but when I do I want the real stuff. As close to real as I can get actually, which for me means Mexican or Kosher coke with real sugar, not corn syrup. Corn syrup is bad enough. Aspartame etc, that is an abomination. :P
08-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
If you're going to do all that why put in DIET Sunkist? UGH. Use the real stuff for cripes sakes. Sounds pretty good actually, but not if I have to deal with the back taste of aspartame. I can't stand diet soda. I don't drink soda all that often anymore but when I do I want the real stuff. As close to real as I can get actually, which for me means Mexican or Kosher coke with real sugar, not corn syrup. Corn syrup is bad enough. Aspartame etc, that is an abomination. :P
Yeah, I guess you're right. I've just drank diet soda for so long, I can't tell the difference, really. I had the "real stuff" not long ago when the super market didn't have the diet kind and to tell the truth, it tasted the same. Old taste buds are a funny thing, though Magkelly. You'll find out one of these days!

Still, a good concoction, though. I really like the orange/citrus taste and the carbonation gives the orange juice just what it was missing!

Dewman
SW Idaho

08-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What makes you think I'm that young? LOL Actually I have to limit my sugar these days and I'd rather have a bit of chocolate than soda most of the time. I still have a Coke about once a week but that's about it. It's too hard on my teeth drinking soda all the time.
08-02-2014, 03:33 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree wholeheartedly! I never understood how anyone could stand the horrible, horrible back taste of aspartame.

Not that I drink much of any sweetened drink anymore, they're just too sweet for me. Strange how taste changes with changed habits

Now, where did I put my beer?
08-02-2014, 04:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An alternative to the diet Sunkist, is to get a SodaStream carbonation machine and use the Sugar Free Orange MIO (much cheaper than the SodaStream flavor concentrates).
08-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My favorite orange soda is this stuff though it doesn't cost but $6 in my local market...

Amazon.com : San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa (Blood Orange) Sparkling, 11.15 Oz, 24-Count : Sparkling Juice Drinks : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Orangina is nice too.
08-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

IMO, adding orange juice to A&W Root Beer just sounds disgusting and a nasty thing to do to either.
08-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
IMO, adding orange juice to A&W Root Beer just sounds disgusting and a nasty thing to do to either.
No, no.... I didn't mean add OJ to Root Beer! Only that I use a frozen A&W Root Beer MUG! It is made of very thick glass and retains the coldness very well. I always keep several of them in my freezer in the summertime. It works great. Ugh! OJ & Root Beer! That would suck, big time!
08-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I agree Reef, but that's not what he's doing...."frozen A&W Rootbeer MUG filled with half Tropicana Orange Juice (with pulp!) and half Diet Sunkist Orange soda."

edit: ah, Dewman beat me to it! Interesting concoction that sounds pretty good.
08-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Wishing for Islay malt, now.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
An alternative to the diet Sunkist, is to get a SodaStream carbonation machine and use the Sugar Free Orange MIO (much cheaper than the SodaStream flavor concentrates).
Those seem kind of interesting. Though really I just like club soda with some real fruit juice, so I've often wondered if it'd make more sense just to get one of those soda fountain tanks and taps like you see at pubs etc. (I think of this a lot because they only sell walls and walls of sugary or artificially sweetened stuff at the mini-mart. I kind of miss there being Poland Spring seltzers everywhere like back home. )

Anyway, I do have a friend with one of those Soda Stream setups, ...she hasn't mentioned it in some time, I wonder if that's cause it works out well or cause it proved not really worthwhile. Should ask.