Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nothing is secure, its just more out of sight in the trunk.
if you want to try to prevent more, get a big pelican case and chain it in and lock it with big locks, after that there is not much, if they want it they'll get it, your just slowing them down

05-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
Not Registered

I have a black mamba in the trunk and another one inside a pelican case. Since then I havent got problems with burglars but on the downside I cant take pictures neither

On a serious note, I try to follow several steps when carrying valuable things in a car trip:
1) leave some dust cover the car and make it seems as low profile as it gets
2) dont handle the valuable stuff at public sight
3) dont wear fancy cases unless they are in a closed trunk (my car is a Vibe and the interior is easy to watch).
4) carry the valuable things with you as long as it is possible. THis is particularly important when you have exposed your stuff before jump to the car.

I think that unfortunate events like the one that has been described here are really difficult to predict
05-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Your trunk remains the safest place to store valuables in your car, so I guess your best protection is to make sure nobody sees you putting valuables in your trunk.

Pat
Pat, you're a regular McGiver, great tip, thanks!
05-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

thows of us that drive hatch backs well what i do is take my stuff with me in to the store ect... becuse it is not hard to knock out my back windo.

05-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's why I got me one of them there trunk monkeys. When the would be thief opens the trunk, up pops my chimpanzee who quickly grabs the thief by his lapels, gives him a quick chimp kiss and then hits him over the head with a large mallet.
05-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Car trunks are not in the least bit secure... take it from a firefighter who can open up a car like a tin can in seconds AND an amateur locksmith who can pick locks in a few minutes or seconds (yes I do have diverse hobbies!).

A bad guy won't even bother with picking locks, he'll just pull the trunk lock out with an automotive slide dent puller (aka a slide hammer).
he can do this on my VW and all he will do is remove the switch that controls the trunk mechanism. there is no mechanical link on any of the locks to the mechanisms, they are all electric
QuoteQuote:
I guess installing a cut-off switch in the trunk to disable the trunk latch solenoid is probably your easiest solution. And for people who have a rear folding seat, installing a sliding latch behind the seat inside the trunk would add some security.
again my VW has seat backs that lock with the key but the valet key is different and can only opperate the driver's door and ignition
QuoteQuote:
Your trunk remains the safest place to store valuables in your car, so I guess your best protection is to make sure nobody sees you putting valuables in your trunk.

Pat
but all of this being said, if someone really wants in they will get in, it is only if they can then get your goods out in a short period that they will take them, that is why I said lock them to the car structure in a lockable hard case. they moght get pissed off, but they won't be prepared to deal with the additional security.

Also, and i saw this on TV. you don't even need to use a lock puller. all you need is a sling shot (or good throwing arm) and bearing roller, the side windows will shatter instantly
05-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Nowhere Matt's post reminded me of this series of videos I'd seen a few years ago. Maybe this will make you smile a little at least Kim. Number 3 would have been perfect in your case.

YouTube - Trunk Money

05-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
nothing is secure, its just more out of sight in the trunk.
if you want to try to prevent more, get a big pelican case and chain it in and lock it with big locks, after that there is not much, if they want it they'll get it, your just slowing them down
I had a locksmith tell me once that "locks were for honest people." When I saw how quickly he disabled the lock in question and got the door open I realize he was right. Keeping stuff out of sight counts for a lot, most thieves want to know that they will be getting something for their efforts.
05-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Treat your valuables like your baby. Keep them close and closer.
05-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Kim. It sounds like they also did some expensive damage to the window too. I get away with locking things in my trunk and putting a big sign in the window asking anyone to please steel the car and assuring them I would not prosecute unless they tried to return the car.
However in your case the loss is severe and there for I wish you the best of luck in getting things settled. If you have home owners or renters insurance you may find the item stolen would be covered.
05-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Also keep in mind that if your rear seat has a "pass through", it needs to be locked as well.

My Accord has multiples entry methods into the trunk, including:
Traditional key in the lid
Lever in the interior
Remote when it works (25% of the time)
Pull down the rear armrest and there is a lockable pass-through
Above this pass-through is a lever to pull from inside the trunk if you want to fold the seat down
And a keyhole in the rear deck

Now, let's say I locked out the trunk lever inside but didn't lock the pass-through. I could stick my arm in it and pull the seat down. Make sure every measure is locked up if things are going to be in the trunk.

Lucky (or maybe unlucky?) me...I could always file an insurance claim if my stereo stuff was stolen since it's worth more than the deductible.

Thieves are really the lowest form of life...

(Edit: come to think of it...someone could just remove my rear speaker grilles and reach through to the lever and fold the seat down since I don't have rear speakers. Lol you didn't hear that )
05-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Accord Trunk access

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
My has multiples entry methods into the trunk, including:
Traditional key in the lid
Sorry to hear about that - makes me fell like MY space was invaded.

What year is your Accord? I just took a bunch of old computers to the recycling center in my 2007 Accord V6 after reading this thread. Out of curiosity I pulled my keys out to open the trunk with the lock instead of the remote.

There's no lock - just the remote, the driver's seat lever, the internal seat fold-down lock and the pass-through lock.

Many years ago a group of Yayhoos watched me change into my fly fishing gear at a river put-in. When I got back to the car the trunk lock was punched out.

The only thing I had left in the trunk was the aluminum rod tube, the pair of hiking boots I changed out of and the laundry basket with my emergency dry-clothes.

I guess somebody fell in the river or they really wanted a change of clothes.
05-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

A friend of mine lost 2 laptops stored in his car. His solution was to get a small metal case for $30cdn to put his laptop in. Labeled it "Manure Testing Kit" and added a few health warning labels on the side. He left this case in plain view in the back seat of his car everywhere he went. Never had his laptop stolen ever again, go figure!
05-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I like it Denis!

I guess one could get a Coleman cooler and label it with a Biohazard symbol and letter it "Coroners Office - Diseased organ samples" or something equally as nasty. Just leave that on your cars back seat in plain view and store stuff in there

Pat
05-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It's a constant concern when carrying my camera gear and laptop which is always with me on the road. The gear inside is worth more than the van I drive!
That is why I doubled checked with my insurance company on my personal articles policy to ensure that everything is in place.. Just in case....

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Does the school keep a list of the serial numbers? It might be worth checking to local pawn shop cause you can guarentee they've sold it fast. Less of course the police have already done that
Yes, Kris the school had all the needed numbers.. I just forwarded them onto the officer that took the report. The crappy part is that the schools deducatable on thier insurance is $1,000 and the cost of replacing the laptop is only $500.. so I guess I will be without a laptop for rest of the year.. Thank goodness there is only 14 days left!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Oh Kim that sucks:-(. Did you have it passworded?
Friggin' losers grrrrrrrrrrr...
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Sorry to hear about this Kim. I hope you had stuff backed up. Gary
Yes, everything is passworded and backed up on the school server. So luckily there wasn't much on it.. Just a few working files.

Thank you everyone for your comments and sympathies.. I do appreciate it... I got my window fixed yesterday.. so 142.00 later almost all is back to normal.... Still feels pretty wierd parking in a public lot though...