Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I don't think I'd want to try aerial photography while trying to operate one of these things at the same time, but it would really come in handy for my commute to and from work. Where I would land it once I got to work is another question, but I wouldn't mind being able to fly over all the traffic and getting where I need to go just a little more quickly.

Heather

05-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Whats really scary is that the helicopter pilot for one of the local news TV stations does exactly that!!!

He takes freelance pictures of fire/accident/crime scenes from his helicopter and posts them on the firebuff sites in Montreal

Pat
05-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I got a extendable paint pole and rigged up a mount. I tried it out with my P&S just to see that it would work, and it does work well.

I just need to find the USB cable to download the pictures.
05-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #19
Inactive Account

If you have a K20D with live view, buy a small LCD monitor (like 7" that runs on batteries, portable DVD players work) and a long usb extension cord (for video) and a long shutter release cable. Put the camera on top of a extendable pole (something like a pole saw pole might work well). and put the monitor at the bottom. Then you have both shutter and framing taken care of, for the fraction of the price of beggin the power company to rent a truck...

Another consideration, if doing this for weddings, a cherry picker truck or scissor lift may not jive with the "decor" that a lot of brides work very hard on for their weddings. A camera on a stick is much less intrusive - and much more portable.

05-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #20
Damn Brit

Check out this website; Aerial Photography Systems, Blimp and Mast Systems -Southern Balloon Works
05-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Test pictures

Here are some of the shots that I got today. I haven't put my K100D up on it yet, but that will be soon. I just need to rig up an extension remote and I won't need to rely on the 10 second timer.

Fast shutter speeds are essential since even with no wind, the rig is shaky, more so when you hold the pole without resting it on the ground.

05-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I hope some of you guys are video taping your experiments with these overhead shots so we can all see them on America's Funniest Home Videos in a few months. There must be footage of you getting hit by cars or falling over the neighbor's fence as you are concentrating more on the camera's view from the air than where you are walking.

I was just hoping for some good old fashion predictable slap stick comedy at least.

05-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I hope some of you guys are video taping your experiments with these overhead shots so we can all see them on America's Funniest Home Videos in a few months. There must be footage of you getting hit by cars or falling over the neighbor's fence as you are concentrating more on the camera's view from the air than where you are walking.

I was just hoping for some good old fashion predictable slap stick comedy at least.
The first rule is to look up to make sure you don't hit anything above you like power lines.

Besides, you can't really walk around with a 12-25 foot pole held straight up while you are walking.

Anyone can get hit by a car by not paying attention to their surroundings. Hell, just this morning, I got my feet wet in the pool when I got a bit too close to the edge. Thankfully the cover caught me and I was just sweeping.
05-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Are there any laws about where a boom can be extended, or is it all based on local ordinances?[/QUOTE]

Besides the cost insurance,training and maintence the laws of physics must be followed. I wouldn't want to see you fall over, because of poor footing or a over extended boom. You also have to be concerned about power lines.

Dave
05-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Most of the pro photogs I have seen use an apple-picking ladder for these kind of shots. For film/video work, I have seen folks mount a tripod head on the top of the ladder too.

Now, if you combine an apple picking ladder AND your painter's pole, you can get some height! Just don't fall off
05-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I think this is a brilliant idea to become more creative with angles. Good job. Stay safe.
05-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Whats really scary is that the helicopter pilot for one of the local news TV stations does exactly that!!!

He takes freelance pictures of fire/accident/crime scenes from his helicopter and posts them on the firebuff sites in Montreal

Pat
This is the work of the local news copter pilot with his little camera

SécuritéIncendie.com

Pat
05-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

At a BBQ recently:

Pentax K100D
Cosina 19-35/3.5-4.5

Just mounted on a monopod and held aloft, focused with distance scale and fired with self-timer.