Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Outer Banks NC Vacation

Thought i would reach out to the people here and get some opinions/ideas

my wife and I are taking out family to the outer banks next week for a week long vacation. We will be renting a house just south of Kitty Hawk.

I'm looking for some interesting things to do/see while we're there. I'm not just looking for photography idea's (although, those would be nice also) and i'm not really into theme park's/water parks. Interesting places to go, things tourist's don't really know about. Maybe an hour's drive or so is about how far i'd want to go for a day trip. Maybe a little more if it's worth it.

We have a 15 year old, a 13 year old, and a 6 year old, so everyone is capable of doing some walking, although my wife's knees can do long hikes.

thanks all

-c

08-19-2014, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been taking the family there for decades. We go for the beach since we live in the Adirondack Mountains, which is a change of scene for us. We camp and usually stay further down in Rodanthe, on the other side of Oregon Inlet. Things to do? Well, the Wright Brothers Museum is a must and the kids always enjoyed spending time in Jockey Ridge State Park on the dunes. Kite flying is popular there and you can even learn to hang glide. We always spend a day down in Ocracoke. It's a free ferry ride. There is the historic site in Manteo, the first English settlement. If you want to spend some money, they have the play and reenactment most evenings.
Bring your camera! Lots and lots of birds in the Pea Island refuge. You'll need a kayak or canoe which you can rent everywhere if you don't bring your own. I got some very good shots of Herons, Egrets, and Ospreys on my last visit. Don't forget the lighthouses either. My kids never got bored there. Do bring sunscreen. There isn't much shade.

Just a side note.. I also live in Corinth. I just noticed!
08-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
Thought i would reach out to the people here and get some opinions/ideas

my wife and I are taking out family to the outer banks next week for a week long vacation. We will be renting a house just south of Kitty Hawk.

I'm looking for some interesting things to do/see while we're there. I'm not just looking for photography idea's (although, those would be nice also) and i'm not really into theme park's/water parks. Interesting places to go, things tourist's don't really know about. Maybe an hour's drive or so is about how far i'd want to go for a day trip. Maybe a little more if it's worth it.

We have a 15 year old, a 13 year old, and a 6 year old, so everyone is capable of doing some walking, although my wife's knees can do long hikes.

thanks all

-c
it's a gorgeous area - however I think that a 6,13 and 15 Y/O would probably not appreciate it as much as they would Myrtle Beach....
Enjoy your trip!
08-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I live at the bottom of The Banks. A little different here but I'd suggest bringing some surf casting gear.

08-19-2014, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go up to Corolla and check out the wild horses. You will need a 4 wheel drive vehicle, but its a fun experience. There are tours available if you don't have a vehicle. Jennette's pier is a quick fun trip. The aquarium down in Manteo is a good day trip too. Two of the shots below are from Jennette's Pier. The other is an old one of some wild horses sleeping on the beach in Corolla. Make sure you visit Run Down Cafe too. Its my favorite place to eat down there.
Attached Images

Last edited by scunning14; 08-19-2014 at 10:35 AM.
08-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks all for the advice/tips

Reeftool: thats crazy. you can't be more then 5-10 min away from me

peterjcb: i'm sure they would love myrtle, but they're not paying, so they don't have a choice:-) and mom and dad (us) want a more relaxed vacation.

seacapt: i don't have surf casting gear, buy my 6 year old and i want to do some fishing. any idea what the license requirements are? from what i can tell from the NC website, a 10 day non-res salt permit should be what i need.

scunning14: thanks for the pics, we have 4WD, and my wife has been talking about the horses for about 6 months now, so i glad you brought that up as a possibility. I'd also really like to hit up the aquarium if it's a decent one.
08-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
thanks all for the advice/tips

Reeftool: thats crazy. you can't be more then 5-10 min away from me

peterjcb: i'm sure they would love myrtle, but they're not paying, so they don't have a choice:-) and mom and dad (us) want a more relaxed vacation.

seacapt: i don't have surf casting gear, buy my 6 year old and i want to do some fishing. any idea what the license requirements are? from what i can tell from the NC website, a 10 day non-res salt permit should be what i need.

scunning14: thanks for the pics, we have 4WD, and my wife has been talking about the horses for about 6 months now, so i glad you brought that up as a possibility. I'd also really like to hit up the aquarium if it's a decent one.
The list of stuff to do is endless. My surfcasting gear is pretty much shot or I would happily loan it to you. We went down to Assateague in May and it was no longer functional. I can't help you on the cost of an OOS license because my gear wasn't functional last trip. I surf fish and also, if finances permit, I go on an offshore charter.
08-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey Link!
You will need an out of state salt water license but the good news is kids under 16 do not.
This is a great time of year to fish the beach because bait and target species are starting to move.
Surf casting gear is really somewhat specialized to allow you to cast above and beyond the breakers. High quality is expensive but will last a long time ( I still have some gear of mine and my Dad's from the late 60's as I suspect is the case with Reef). On the other hand, cheap Walmart stuff may last a few trips.
You may be better served by looking at an 8-9 ft 20 lb class spinning outfit which you could also use for lakers and musky in NY. For the kids 10 lb class spinning outfits (we call them trout rods) would probably work and could double as flippin sticks when you are back home.
IMOFWIW the best bang for the buck in salt water spinning reels is Okuma or Shimmano and both Ugly Stick & Pursuit are great rods for the money.
Don't overlook local fishing piers and try to talk to some of the locals for suggestions.
Good luck and have big fun!

Last edited by seacapt; 08-21-2014 at 08:57 AM.
08-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My old surf gear was rather cheap. I bought it on sale in a shop in Rodanthe. Since I didn't use it often, it lasted over 20 years and I always caught fish. A couple of guides are broke on the rod, fixable but I will probably replace it. The reel is corroded and not very smooth. I think the bearings are bad. They were catching a lot of huge stripers in the surf when we were in Assateague back in May and I almost went and invested in some new surf gear but the birds kept me (and my camera) busy and the flounder were biting pretty good off the pier at the campground in Chincoteague where we stayed and my normal mid weight gear worked and you don't need a license fishing off the pier because they cover that.

This guy hooked on to a striper that pulled him down at one point. He landed it. Took about 15 minutes to get it on the beach! That afternoon, 3 guys snapped the tips off their rods after hooking the big stripers!

This was a few hours up the coast in Virgina. We will often stay in that area on the way down or back bo break up the 16 hour drive.
08-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
very cool.
i think i'm bringing my spinning reel that i use up here. it's not super long 6'6" i think, but it's all i have. with some weight i can get it out quite a ways. i doubt i'm going to have much fishing time anyway, and my son just has a little "kid reel"

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Don't overlook local fishing piers and try to talk to some of the locals for suggestions.
hence the reason for this post :-)
all kidding aside thanks for the information. i'm rather excited.
pics will be comming.......