Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My FA31 is gone.... :(

I was doing some shopping yesterday at a large strip mall in Charlotte yesterday and when I came out I noticed that button on my driver door was unlocked and my door cylinder had been damaged. I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I realized that my K200D and my K-5 cameras were gone and unfortunately the lens on my K-5 was my prized FA31....
I called the police immediately and went into the store to see if the video cameras had picked up anything but they said it was out of range.
I know that it's just "stuff" and there are a lot of worse problems to deal with but this makes me angry and I just feel at a loss today.....
Sorry for the rant but I had to get it off my chest...

08-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So sorry to hear this - it's a sick feeling to know you've been robbed I've been very hesitant to leave my cameras in the car, even for a little while. If I do, I'll put them down on the floor, as close to the seat as possible, and cover them with a dark towel or something. Or even put them in the trunk if I'm not going to be gone that long. Anyway, I feel for your loss. Maybe keep an eye on your local Craigslist - if the thief is not too bright, he might try listing them there. Good luck.
08-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yea craigslist and eBay. Hopefully you have some paperwork with serial numbers with you...
I definitely put my gear under the seat...
08-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear this. I'm in the Charlotte area as well, I'll keep an eye out

08-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Like many others I'm sure, I got a sick feeling just reading about this. Good luck with this, and also dealing with the psychological impact of having your car broken into and your space violated. I've had my cars broken into (Trenton and New Brunswick, NJ) and it's hard to get over.
08-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So very sorry to read this...
08-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

II'm really sorry to hear that.

08-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lenstag

It may be too late for he OP but has anyone used Lenstag? It is a database for camera equipmnt which periodically does a sweep of the internet for lens serial numbers and reports when it finds a photo with a serial number from one of your registered lenses. There a lots of obvious holes and issues here but it might help someone sometime. I have registered equipment but remain a bit skeptical of the actual value of Lenstag.
08-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It may be too late for he OP but has anyone used Lenstag? It is a database for camera equipmnt which periodically does a sweep of the internet for lens serial numbers and reports when it finds a photo with a serial number from one of your registered lenses. There a lots of obvious holes and issues here but it might help someone sometime. I have registered equipment but remain a bit skeptical of the actual value of Lenstag.
I'm going to look into that and I am going to make notes of all my lenses and serial number for future reference. Unfortunately I saved all my receipts but don't have any serial numbers which is what the police asked if I had.

Good news.....I found a brand new FA31 on Flea Bay for $900 and I just bought it. Which coincidently is the exact price that I paid for my used FA31 6 months ago.
I'm starting to feel a little better already, now I have to wait & see what my insurance policy will cover...that's stlil up in the air....
08-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That's really too bad!
You should go look at other nearby businesses that might have cameras, like ATMs or banks. Another thing is to report the serial numbers of your lenses and cameras. You can also look at local online listings in case someone tries to sell your stuff.
Hope you get something back!
08-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recording all serials numbers is really important. I keep them in a spreadsheet and write them on the invoice/receipt if they are not there already.

I friend of mine had some gear stolen a few months ago, starting watching Craigs List and sure enough there it was. Called the police who then arranged to be nearby when my friend met and re-bought his gear. The police then arrested the seller, serial numbers matched, case closed.
08-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Chances are very high it will show up on craigslist, at a local pawn shop, or on ebay. Depends how smart/desperate the crook is.

Assuming you set EXIF data in the camera, it will be easy to prove to a pawn shop the camera is yours.

Check local camera shops, too... someone might try to sell it there... the store owner might be willing to capture it and inform the seller that it was reported stolen, etc.
08-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

My sincere sympathy. I know that sick feeling, it's like you have been raped, and in a way you have. Something has been taken form you against your will, against your wishes. Something you worked hard to get

Nothing worse than a thief in my books. Over the last half century I have hired some alcoholics, some idiots, and even a couple of convicted murderers, but never knowingly would I hire a thief. The idiots were born that way, the alcoholics had a verifiable disease and were working to cure it, the murderers had some justification....in my opinion, but a thief has NO justification.

Regards
08-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Don't forget to put the word out with the local camera clubs, too. Someone might be offered the lens for sale, and if they know one has been recently stolen in the area, they can be wary.
08-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Recording all serials numbers is really important. I keep them in a spreadsheet and write them on the invoice/receipt if they are not there already.
I do the same with my very long list of photographic gear, what might be a good idea for pentax forums is to have a stolen equipment register - where serial numbers of stolen lenses,cameras and acessories can be posted so people who are looking for new gear can report stolen items for sale( the more people who look the easier it will be to find things). In music forums there are often similar registers where Serial numbers on flutes,oboes and other orchestral instruments are posted so they can be re-united with the original owner.