Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Oh boy! Are ya' ready for some football!

I've been on pins and needles for the past couple of months.... ever since a little before the NFL draft. I've been a long-time Oakland Raiders fan (O.K..... stow the boos and hisses !) since 1960, when they officially became a team, albeit in the erstwhile old AFL. I've stuck with them, through thick and thin.... as of late, mostly thin..... VERY thin! But, as always, I have high hopes for them again this year. They have a new, very promising quarterback in Derek Carr out of Fresno State. A second-round pick in the draft, he follows in his brother David's footsteps as a NFL QB. The young man has all the attributes of becoming a true star in the league. A rocket-launcher for an arm, great football savvy, excellent leadership qualities and the intangibles necessary for success.... namely grit, guts and an overpowering competitive nature that will hopefully take my boys in Silver & Black back to their once lofty perch.

The Raiders first round pick, Khalil Mack, is a monster-man, capable of playing numerous positions but I think his forte is roaming linebacker/defensive end. He has the size and speed to play either with his hands in the dirt or standing. His amazing quickness off the ball and overpowering physicality will serve him and the team well.

They've got a stable of very capable running backs but I look for the second year (rookie), Latavius Murray to be a real standout. He's big, strong, fast and extremely hard to bring down. You can't stop him with arm tackles. Period. His yards after the initial hit are amazing.

In the off-season, they brought in several key players from the free agency pool. Many older yet proven players at key positions where they were sorely lacking.

They have several young receivers who, after having had a couple of years to develop since being drafted.... and especially now that they have a QB who can get the ball to them.... are on the verge of becoming true stars, namely, Denarius Moore, Rod Streater and Andre Holmes. Moore has blistering speed (4.45 in the 40) as does Streater (4.40 in the 40)

So..... tomorrow at 10:00 sharp, I'll have a front row seat at Buffalo Wild Wings sports bar for the opening game of the season against the NY Jets, or as they like to be know, "Gang Green." Whatever....

If the boys of the Autumn Wind end the season with a 8-8 record, I won't be terribly disappointed, but I certainly hope for something more..... like maybe 10-6. That would get them in the hunt for the playoffs, but the AFC West is a tough division. So, we'll see.

I've done my homework, I've got my roster and stats printed off, champing at the bit for kickoff. This is the highlight of the year for me. Always has been, always will be.

Win, Lose or Tie.... A RAIDER TILL I DIE!

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 01:19 AM.
09-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good luck to the Raiders this year. I have a love/hate relationship with football. I used to love watching it with my dad. Now I hate the time I waste watching it.
09-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here in the Dallas area, one thing is for certain...the Cowboys will most definitely be losers again this year. I don't even bother to watch them bungle anymore.
Anyone remember Tom Landry? Those were the days!

Regards!
09-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Raiders? Never heard of the bums!

Dewman
SW Idaho

09-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

For the past 18 years, I worked the second shift on a Sun.-Thurs. schedule. I would maybe catch one game a year but more often listen on the radio. I would be at work on Sunday and flip on the radio to see how the Giants were doing. Every time I turned on the radio, Eli threw an interception. I kind of stopped listening as the team seemed to do better when I "missed the game". One Sunday, I was at a friends for a lunch before work and the game was on. The Giants were winning! In the half hour or so I watched, Eli threw 3 interceptions, two of them being returned for touchdowns. They were loosing when I left for work and I never turned the radio on to finish the game.

Like Rupert, I remember Landry too. Remember when the NFC East was the best? Remember when you could almost count on the Cowboys, Redskins, or Giants being in the Super Bowl? The Giants had a couple of good years recently but is so frustrating is how a team can win it all one year and then be sooooo bad!
09-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Join me and the Chiefs in the basement...they may be 2-14 again.
09-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Join me and the Chiefs in the basement...they may be 2-14 again.

I'm there, Special K! I'll bring the pizza, you bring the beer.

Dewman
SW Idaho

09-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The Giants kicked off the season but being totally embarrassed by the Lions. Yep, the Lions. I didn't watch or listen. I guess that sweatshirt isn't coming out of the closet anytime soon.
09-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The Giants kicked off the season but being totally embarrassed by the Lions. Yep, the Lions. I didn't watch or listen. I guess that sweatshirt isn't coming out of the closet anytime soon.

My Raider's sweatshirt, house shoes and cap went back into the closet.... and will remain there UNTIL they beat the Denver Broncos! Sheez..... they might still be there when I die! .... or Peyton Manning does!

Dewman
SW Idaho
09-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

This could be a bad year for football fans in the Northeast. The Giants and the Patriots didn't didn't give anybody a reason to start saving up for playoff tickets. The Jets and the Bills? Seriously? I suppose if either gets into the playoffs, I'm obligated to root for them because I live in NY. Actually, the Patriots are the closest team geographically to me. I've been a Giants fan since I was a kid and I probably will always be but when your team is in the toilet, you either have to quit watching or find a temporary team to cheer on. I know it's only the first week.....
09-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
you either have to quit watching or find a temporary team to cheer on
Because you live so close, i'll let you cheer for the bears :-) Even my wife (born and bred NY'er) roots for them when they're not playing the Giants.

That game (NY) was tough to watch. But the Lions aren't exactly a bad team. Tough D and Megatron is a monster.
09-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I follow Ohio State in college football, we lost a game, our season is officially over. My Jersey's go back in the closet until next year. Growing up I was Browns fan. Now I follow New England, San Fran, and sometimes will watch a game because I guy I liked in college is playing. But, my Brownies are part of history. The new franchise has never know what Cleveland Brown football was, or cared. A bunch of warm weather dudes with no idea what it takes to win in the north.
09-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Syracuse has always been a Giants town. But the main Syracuse sports radio guy is from Buffalo. The local paper has decided to ignore the Giants and Jets and cover the Bills almost exclusively. There aren't too many Browns fans left in Syracuse. Any that are left are my father's age or older. When Jim Brown played for the Browns the station that wasn't showing the Giants game would carry the Browns game.

The Eagles look like the team to beat in the NFC Least. The Cowgirls, Deadskins, and Giants might all have losing seasons.

RGIII Refusing To Let Realistic Assessment Of His Play Get To Him | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Jerry Jones Claims Dallas Cowboys Are The Team To Beat Up On This Season | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Browns Impressed By Johnny Manziel?s Chemistry With Bench | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Johnny Manziel Forced To Wear Cleveland Browns Jersey In Cruel Rookie Hazing Incident | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Scouts Confident Johnny Manziel Has Enough Character Issues To Succeed In NFL | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Jerry Jones Not Ruling Out Someday Trading Way Too Much For Johnny Manziel | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-10-2014 at 07:59 AM.
09-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

surprise team for 2014 ...

My Buffalo Bills upset a "talked about potential Super Bowl" contender Chicago Bears. Looks like the Bills have been sold to Terry Pegula, who also owns the Buffalo Sabres. He's building a fantastic project in downtown Buffalo right across the street from our auditorium that will have a hotel, parking ramp, multiple ice rinks, restaurants, etc. and is affectionately known as "Pagulaville".

The Bills are going to be this seasons surprise team. Jump on our band wagon now !
Always optimistic - Go Bills !!!!
09-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
My Buffalo Bills upset a "talked about potential Super Bowl" contender Chicago Bears

Grrr...... Stupid Game, I was so angry after that >:-|

:-)