Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A quick tour of Paypal "fees" and other things.

I recently browsed a forum (not here) and saw an interesting item selling for $1000.00 USD.
Payable with Paypal ... fine so far as I have done several transactions that way already.

Here is a pet peeve:

1. "Net to me" -- the buyer assumes Paypal fees plus shipping. (Of course I will pay for reasonable shipping costs)

So, I go to the Paypal Fee Calculator
Online PayPal Fee Calculator - Payment Processing Forum
and find out what the fees will be.
(see attached image below).

I make a summary of the expense:

item price: $1000.00 USD
Paypal fees: $39.55
Shipping: $40.00 (with tracking from the USA ... not sure about this seemingly large amount shipping from New York state to Québec, Canada ... !)
(not including the 2.5% currency conversion fee)
(not including: "if you accept a transaction from a NON-US paypal account, paypal charges an EXTRA 1% cross border") fee.

Total: $1079.55 USD

Total: $1176.71 CDN (as of September 23 2014)

I declined the deal after having contacted the seller who said, in an email, that I had to pay the Paypal fees because his ad stated "Net to me".
That is news to me since I always thought that the seller is paying the fees, not the buyer.

Deal was therefore cancelled because I replied that I will not pay this Paypal fee.
He didn't even offer any negotiation.

Done!

I will now stay away from any such ads which show an amount to start with and then you'd end up with some hefty price once the "costs" are all added.

Why don't sellers include their fees in the price and leave some room for negotiations ?

Any thoughts on that, people?

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 07:12 PM.
09-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

We have those ads on the forum too.
Check out the ads by ikon.st
09-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Here is a pet peeve:
Any thoughts on that, people?

JP
It is the most common listing I see here. I do the "includes" PayPal and (USA) shipping - vastly prefer check or money order. Maybe you should buy my DA Limiteds?

I have another question though, about returns (never had one yet).
Say I sell something for $100. Buyer pays $100 through PayPal. I get $96.70 or so. Buyer returns item for refund. Do I refund $96.70, 100, or 103.30? Somehow we both lose money and PayPal gets richer.
09-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever you want it to be - just state the Terms of your Refund Policy in your Marketplace Listing.

09-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Whatever you want it to be - just state the Terms of your Refund Policy in your Marketplace Listing.
Well, that's easy :-)
09-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, that's easy :-)
YEP!! Aside from the anti-Pentax people I love this place. ;
09-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
YEP!! Aside from the anti-Pentax people I love this place. ;
What about the anti-Ricoh people?

A lot of discussions are getting pretty sparse these days. So many have been boriscleto'd™...

QuoteQuote:
Why don't sellers include their fees in the price and leave some room for negotiations ?
For the same reason gas is sold at $3.39 9/10 per gallon rather than $3.40 per gallon.

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-24-2014 at 07:21 AM.
09-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It is the most common listing I see here. I do the "includes" PayPal and (USA) shipping - vastly prefer check or money order. Maybe you should buy my DA Limiteds?

I have another question though, about returns (never had one yet).
Say I sell something for $100. Buyer pays $100 through PayPal. I get $96.70 or so. Buyer returns item for refund. Do I refund $96.70, 100, or 103.30? Somehow we both lose money and PayPal gets richer.
Paypal has a mechanism for refunds, you don't just PayPal them back a new transaction. So you can do a full or partial refund, and any fees you paid on that amount originally will be returned to you and they get back exactly what they paid, or the partial amount you're giving back (which is common shipping adjustments, etc, like if they bought two items on ebay and paid shipping for both but you're going to ship them together you might refund them back one of the shipping charges). And if you do a full refund nobody is out anything fee-wise.
09-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What about the anti-Ricoh people?

A lot of discussions are getting pretty sparse these days. So many have been boriscleto'd™...
I've always been a staunch defender of free speech, knowing tolerance of the random advantage-taker is required to preserve the freedom. Lately the benefit of totalitarianism seems to creep into my thoughts. There isn't a rational reason for this barrage of negativity other than intentional fud. Occam's Razor and all that.

I've not only boriscleto'd™ and Ignored entire Fora (Full Frame, General Talk), I've Ignored individual threads, too. No joy.

Sony. Fuji. Nikon. Doomed. Rumor. Liars. Fake. It is as if they have a back door to see whichever threads I still have open and come buzzing in there to land on the back of my neck and annoy me.
09-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have no problem when the seller disclose the information who will pay PP fees in total amount. Have you ever thought how many "fees" are blended without disclosure in final price of any product we buy ?
So, it's up to me to buy or not, and it's up to seller to set the transaction rules.
Here is the only one thing I don't like. When seller wants PP transaction as "gift".
09-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Paypal has a mechanism for refunds, you don't just PayPal them back a new transaction. So you can do a full or partial refund, and any fees you paid on that amount originally will be returned to you and they get back exactly what they paid, or the partial amount you're giving back (which is common shipping adjustments, etc, like if they bought two items on ebay and paid shipping for both but you're going to ship them together you might refund them back one of the shipping charges). And if you do a full refund nobody is out anything fee-wise.
Thanks for that. I'm a PayPal noob.
09-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I avoid buying anything that doesn't have the PayPal fees included in the price. If the seller is too lazy or too stupid to figure it out, then why should I waste my time trying to figure it out?

PayPal is a good system that has security for both the seller and buyer. It isn't free and should be considered as a cost of doing business. Include it in the price. Some people complain about the fee. Fine! Don't use PayPal. Have people send you a check. Good luck!
09-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Shipping: $40.00 (with tracking from the USA ... not sure about this seemingly large amount"

If you have not shipped anything recently, you will be shocked at the higher costs! I recently sold a lens and sent it Priority Flat Rate, insured, receipt requested. It came to almost $20! Just a filter I also shipped, again Priority Flat Rate, was $6. Both these items were shipped from/to within the USA.

BTW, when selling items I always obsorb the paypal fees, I feel it's the cost of doing business and clearing out items I can no longer use/want.
09-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
"Shipping: $40.00 (with tracking from the USA ... not sure about this seemingly large amount"
USPS has a postage calculator on it website. I have a commercial USPS account. USPS Priority Mail under 4 lbs, insured under $200 is <$30 to Canada. Above that it pays to use USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate. A Medium Box Insured is $+/- $39.

Those figures are for Commercial, online, self-printed labels using USPS packaging. Adding $1.50 to cover the cost of labels and packing easily makes the cost of shipping from the USA to Canada $40.

Counter Service with handwritten label and non-standard packing (in addition to being a time vacuum and total PITA customer service experience) adds 15%.
09-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

According to PayPal, if you pay the fee to send money, you are just "sending money". When the seller pays the fee, you are "purchasing". Their buyer/seller protection is not included when you "send someone money", so if they don't ship it, you're screwed.