Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Banned from DP Review

I have been banned from DP Reviews. I think there may have been some very powerful corporate forces at work here re: my switch from Canon to Pentax...

Benjamin Kanarek
http://www.olaphoto.com/zoom/benjamin-kanarek.php

01-30-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I have been banned from DP Reviews. I think there may have been some very powerful corporate forces at work here re: my switch from Canon to Pentax...

Benjamin Kanarek
Olaphoto.com : zoom sur Benjamin Kanarek
Could you point us to the thread(s)/post(s) which lead to your ban?

BTW, I found that "participating" at commercial forums is actually a waste of my valuable time and just help them to earn money, just see below for what I think:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Why This Blog?
01-30-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Could you point us to the thread(s)/post(s) which lead to your ban?

BTW, I found that "participating" at commercial forums is actually a waste of my valuable time and just help them to earn money, just see below for what I think:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Why This Blog?
I have posted the reply to attempting to log in. Check the JPEG attachement.
01-30-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Banned

Here is the JPEG

01-30-2007, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Banned

I have posted the reply to attempting to log in. Check the JPEG attachement.
Here is the JPEG I took off of the DP Reviews site..

Benjamin Kanarek

Last edited by benjikan; 02-18-2007 at 06:06 AM.
01-30-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome to the club.
I was banned many moons ago for disagreeing with a Phil Askey article and supposedly selectively para phrasing to argue my point - which is a big no-no.

Pretty pathetic really; I would have liked the opportunity to go down in a blaze of glory like some others have.

Hope you continue on here as you are not only a superb photographer you are also knowledgeable and seem willing to share that knowledge - Pentax is very lucky to have you on the team.
01-30-2007, 05:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank You

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Welcome to the club.
I was banned many moons ago for disagreeing with a Phil Askey article and supposedly selectively para phrasing to argue my point - which is a big no-no.

Pretty pathetic really; I would have liked the opportunity to go down in a blaze of glory like some others have.

Hope you continue on here as you are not only a superb photographer you are also knowledgeable and seem willing to share that knowledge - Pentax is very lucky to have you on the team.
Thank you really..Very Kind words.

Here is a message a gave a Pentax DSLR member who contacted me for advice on my e-mail server...

Ben
Please notify all of the wonderful members in the Pentax forum that I have been BANNED from posting on the DP Reviews site. I am sure that some very heavy corporate weight was placed on the shoulders of Mr.Askey. I never ever once abused nor gave ironiuos information. I was baanned for purely commercial reasons. I really enjoyed sharing my cviews and hearing those views of others on several of the diverse forums available...It is "1984" Mr.Orwell!

01-30-2007, 05:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Ben. This is very sad of DPR to do that to you. Your post of sharpening and post processing of protrait shots really worked for me. I did a few experiements and they worked out well. You really shared fantastic experiences with people in the forum and this is very nice of you to do so.

You really do not belong to the nazi forum of DPR canon website. Most of the people I encounter are pricks of freak nature with multiple personality disorder...

At least you are staying with us
01-30-2007, 05:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(snip) I never ever once abused nor gave ironiuos information.
I have a new word to use! Ironious - 'dripping with irony'.

I was baanned for purely commercial reasons. I really enjoyed sharing my cviews and hearing those views of others on several of the diverse forums available...It is "1984" Mr.Orwell!
I don't think it was quite so nefarious, Benjamin. Your posts on the Canon forum were trolling according to Phil's rules.

Don't get me wrong - I think PA is heavy-handed and ridiculous (see Asad's banning last year!) but it isn't up to 'commercial' reasons. In fact, sometimes there are no reasons at all!

I'm glad you're here, and hope to learn some good stuff from you. As a matter of fact, I'd love to see some of your lighting set-up for your shots - they look amazing! (Preferably with the K10, btw!)

--Sean
01-30-2007, 05:34 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Benjikan, Keep up your spirit and good work.
I will end looking on DPR forum.
01-30-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi,

There's a thread active on dpreview already about your being banned. I'm sure you saw it. Did you try inquiring about the reason behind the ban?

Wim
01-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ben,
I don't know what to say, man. I've been a member and regular poster over there since '04, but ever since Phil's K10D review came out, the culture of that forum just changed dramatically. It is no longer the friendly respectful place it once was.I still lurk there once in awhile, but I no longer post.

Phil just is totally PO'd with the whole DPR Pentax community and is on occasion acting like a little childish brat rather than a professional reviewer and site owner, and that just makes things that much worse.

Anyway, you are always welcome here, I look forward to your posts, and viewing your extraordinary work.

I would love to see some more of the DPR old timers spend some more time here and help grow this site.
01-30-2007, 05:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lighting Setting

Hi Sean;

You know that I light differently for each of my themes. As I am self taught I often experiment right on the set while shooting. That way I can make some "GOOD" mistakes.

Pentax are coming to my shoot on Feb 10-11 for "Issue One" magazine and may film the process. If I can I will post a short Quicktime film to view some of the shoot.

To answer any quiries I need to have you site an example for me to answer any questions.

Ben
http://www.olaphoto.com/zoom/benjamin-kanarek.php
01-30-2007, 05:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Hi,

There's a thread active on dpreview already about your being banned. I'm sure you saw it. Did you try inquiring about the reason behind the ban?

Wim

I am sure that what ever the answer it will be justified with a "False Premise"
01-30-2007, 05:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Let me Say This

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Ben,
I don't know what to say, man. I've been a member and regular poster over there since '04, but ever since Phil's K10D review came out, the culture of that forum just changed dramatically. It is no longer the friendly respectful place it once was.I still lurk there once in awhile, but I no longer post.

Phil just is totally PO'd with the whole DPR Pentax community and is on occasion acting like a little childish brat rather than a professional reviewer and site owner, and that just makes things that much worse.

Anyway, you are always welcome here, I look forward to your posts, and viewing your extraordinary work.

I would love to see some more of the DPR old timers spend some more time here and help grow this site.
You know... I will try NOT to loose my temper here. Let may just say this. Mr.Askey, go to an Ad Agency and try GETTING A JOB with YOUR portfolio...Come and compete with me on my TURF and let the real world judge who merits the job...

Some people teach and some people do. I like to do both...

I AM Pissed............Whew........OK..........OK.........I feel better now.

Sorry for the diatribe!

Ben
Olaphoto.com : zoom sur Benjamin Kanarek