Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Invite them

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
Yep:
Been there; done that! I got banned twice for daring to say Canon wasn't the penultimate camera and for saying I had my Olympus gear for sale if anyone was interested!
YOU, on the other hand, have always been gracious and giving with your expertise; a gift I appreciate as I struggle to bring my photography skills up to your awesome levels. Hmmm! Now if we can just get Godfrey, Lance B and John Bean over here, we'd have the nucleus of an unbeliveably gifted group of highly skilled photographers who have ALWAYS been willing to gift us all with their knowledge!
We'll call you The Gang of Photographic Four. 8o) Regardless, I look forward to your presence here, if no one else does.
Rob
Just invite them..Tell them Benji would love the company...

Really!

01-30-2007, 07:42 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I don't shoot nudes...Oh yeah the one with the see through blouse...OOOOOO so risque...
Exactly. I was reading a forum thread over at DPreview about a year ago in the Lighting Technique forum where I saw that Phil banned someone for posting an image of a model with one of her nipples showing.

Phil later posted a message saying that he has to keep his site friendly to all ages. The problem I have with that is this quote from his "rules" page:

"Glamour / Sexual content images - Please do not embed such images in your messages, while we understand that such pictures (tastefully shot) are a big part of commercial photography we do have a worldwide audience and wide range of paying advertisers. If you wish to bring a gallery of such images to peoples attention then please just post a link."

I believe you always posted links to your portfolio images in your signature rather than posting the actual images in the forums so I don't know why Phil thinks you should be banned. (I've seen other nude photos on that forum where the photographers posted links to MUCH more revealing photos.)

In any case, you should NOT have been banned.
01-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I don't shoot nudes...Oh yeah the one with the see through blouse...OOOOOO so risque...
The least Phil could have done, was just block the link to the picture, instead of kicking you out altogether.

Sorry to hear you got bumped from DPR's forums. It would have been nice to see that there are professionals on that site who are not only from Canon and Nikon all willing to help amateurs like us, and not to mention each other, out with polite and professional exchanges.
01-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nudity

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
Exactly. I was reading a forum thread over at DPreview about a year ago in the Lighting Technique forum where I saw that Phil banned someone for posting an image of a model with one of her nipples showing.

Phil later posted a message saying that he has to keep his site friendly to all ages. The problem I have with that is this quote from his "rules" page:

"Glamour / Sexual content images - Please do not embed such images in your messages, while we understand that such pictures (tastefully shot) are a big part of commercial photography we do have a worldwide audience and wide range of paying advertisers. If you wish to bring a gallery of such images to peoples attention then please just post a link."

I believe you always posted links to your portfolio images in your signature rather than posting the actual images in the forums so I don't know why Phil thinks you should be banned. (I've seen other nude photos on that forum where the photographers posted links to MUCH more revealing photos.)

In any case, you should NOT have been banned.
I did not post nor have I posted on his site. I sent a link to one of my sites...

No more no less..Oh well

C'est La Vie

01-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #35

Hi Benjamin

I'm sorry to hear of your ban from DPR,com but if you go there and read the thread about this topic, a few are wondering if the reason could be your links in your siggy. Grumpy Phil does not allow any advertising on his forums, so this "may," be the reason for it. We were just wondering. Perhaps if you contacted Mr. Asskey and offered ti remove the links he would capitulate and allow you back.
01-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I don't know much about DPR, the first time I logged in I found a link to this forum and never looked back, but from what I've seen of your posts here and your photography, you have a lot of class and talent.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful photographs and your knowledge. I hope we get more members like you.
01-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taffy Quote
I'm sorry to hear of your ban from DPR,com but if you go there and read the thread about this topic, a few are wondering if the reason could be your links in your siggy. Grumpy Phil does not allow any advertising on his forums, so this "may," be the reason for it. We were just wondering. Perhaps if you contacted Mr. Asskey and offered ti remove the links he would capitulate and allow you back.
Why should Benjamin be forced to remove his links?

Many, MANY working/professional photographers on DPreview post links to their sites in their signatures. I post a link to my studio website and my blog in my signature over at DPreview (as well as this forum). Does that mean I should be banned for posting a link to my business website?

If so, almost EVERY working/professional photographer posting at DPreview should be banned (myself included). That would make the forums much less helpful since many of the experienced photographers would suddenly vanish.

01-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #38
Veteran Member

when i frist saw u appear on the dpreview pentax forum benjikan..

i thought professional pentax plant.. i even thought that pentax might be getting clever in their marketing techniques..

i think phil perhaps thinks the same.. his answer is a simple one.. he hit the ban this guy button..

the other "fanboy" or brand fanatic factor works like this..

phils very busy and popular site is over loaded with brand fanatics.. its become a place where other brand fanatics can go and pay homage to their god..

phil has to keep the peace.. permitting someone to enter the wrong temple and espouse the virtues of an alterative religion causes something akin to a religious war..

a herd mentality takes over after someone throws the first "troll" stone.. its about size and having too many fantatics all gathered together in the one place.. the ban button "forum banishment" is just a simple way of keeping the peace in a difficult situation..

it dosnt have to be "fair" just effective.. the other control technique is the thread delete.. the best way of putting down counter argument there is.. its also done without explanation or appeal..

trog
01-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I have no idea what the ban's all about, but if it means we get you posting over here regularly, I'm all for it!

Julie
01-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #40
Forum Member

Me too
I've been following the "Benjikan got banned" thread at dpr, but frankly the politics over there is tiresome.

Stay here Ben and be welcome!
PS really like what the post-processing techniques you shared with us has done to some of my photos. thanks!
01-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ben,

Back about 30 years ago all we had for forums was the equivalent of a shared stone tablet: dial-up, single user message boards. And one thing everybody quickly learned was to treat the owner of the board with respect and deference. One never questioned this owners opinion, they just nodded politely and moved on.

In your excitement with a new sponsor and new equipment you did the unthinkable, with a real flair! You broke the cardinal rule. And now you bear the consequences. And most of us saw the whole show when it debuted.

But this cause and effect are not really uncommon and certainly not new. I own a house and some property on which I have some flowerbeds. You're welcome to come and visit. But you are not allowed to put your feet on the furniture or wee-wee in the flowerbeds. And if you break these rules you must go home.

And like at DPR and possibly here at PF (we me at least) you will get no sympathy from my neighbors because I banned you for your actions wrt my hypothetical flowerbeds; you screwed-up, get over it!

You have talent to spare. You apparently get the equipment for free. Get off your pity-pot and show us your real talent, teach us some new things.
01-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
I don't know much about DPR, the first time I logged in I found a link to this forum and never looked back, but from what I've seen of your posts here and your photography, you have a lot of class and talent.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful photographs and your knowledge. I hope we get more members like you.

I see that you have a Pentax K1000...That was my first camera when I started Architectural School at Carleton University in Ottawa..Built like a tank, could second as a hammer if in a tight spot..oooppps SPOT no pun intended "SPOTmatic"

Ben
01-30-2007, 10:04 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
when i frist saw u appear on the dpreview pentax forum benjikan..

i thought professional pentax plant.. i even thought that pentax might be getting clever in their marketing techniques..

i think phil perhaps thinks the same.. his answer is a simple one.. he hit the ban this guy button..

the other "fanboy" or brand fanatic factor works like this..

phils very busy and popular site is over loaded with brand fanatics.. its become a place where other brand fanatics can go and pay homage to their god..

phil has to keep the peace.. permitting someone to enter the wrong temple and espouse the virtues of an alterative religion causes something akin to a religious war..

a herd mentality takes over after someone throws the first "troll" stone.. its about size and having too many fantatics all gathered together in the one place.. the ban button "forum banishment" is just a simple way of keeping the peace in a difficult situation..

it dosnt have to be "fair" just effective.. the other control technique is the thread delete.. the best way of putting down counter argument there is.. its also done without explanation or appeal..

trog
I am certainly not a plant, just someone who is enthusiastic about his new toy/tool...Just being human like the rest of us.
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Ben,

Back about 30 years ago all we had for forums was the equivalent of a shared stone tablet: dial-up, single user message boards. And one thing everybody quickly learned was to treat the owner of the board with respect and deference. One never questioned this owners opinion, they just nodded politely and moved on.

In your excitement with a new sponsor and new equipment you did the unthinkable, with a real flair! You broke the cardinal rule. And now you bear the consequences. And most of us saw the whole show when it debuted.

But this cause and effect are not really uncommon and certainly not new. I own a house and some property on which I have some flowerbeds. You're welcome to come and visit. But you are not allowed to put your feet on the furniture or wee-wee in the flowerbeds. And if you break these rules you must go home.

And like at DPR and possibly here at PF (we me at least) you will get no sympathy from my neighbors because I banned you for your actions wrt my hypothetical flowerbeds; you screwed-up, get over it!

You have talent to spare. You apparently get the equipment for free. Get off your pity-pot and show us your real talent, teach us some new things.
I love your analogy, very "Sage"...You must be a great parent. If not, you will be.
01-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What do you want to know...Just Ask!

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Ben,

OK...Hit me with any question that comes to mind..I won't let my ego get in the way and answer it with the uttmost consideration as I would with my daughters..

God Bless
Ben