Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Color Vision Test

I got to reading an article about color vision and a condition called tetrachromacy and I found it very interesting as I never realized that most people COULDN'T see color as this article described. I'm not sure if I would qualify as a tetrachromat but how this article describes color sounds familiar. I always thought that everyone saw colors like this except for people who were color blind. I then took this test online and I scored perfectly. Thought it might interest some of you too so I am providing links. It was a rather fun test to take.

BBC - Future - The women with superhuman vision

Color Test - Online Color Challenge | X-Rite

http://www.blogadilla.com/2008/06/08/are-you-a-tetrachromat/

10-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting test. I scored a 4. I had trouble with the cyan/blue/purple part of the test.
10-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

And I also have good color memory. Which does not make me a good photographer anyway.
10-07-2014, 03:55 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I then took this test online and I scored perfectly
Me too... scored a zero and now I feel awesome!!!

Shame about my photography mind.

10-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I scored a 12 I must be going blind. My wife scored a 4, reinforcing the theory that women have better color vision. I'll try the test again on my calibrated wide gamut screen.
10-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
calibrated wide gamut screen
A calibrated screen may well make a difference, mine is but I hadn't considered that until you mentioned it.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Colour Vision Test
I wonder if magkelly uses a calibrated screen too?
10-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

No worries , I took that test a couple of years ago having different monitor (not matte from corner view and lesser quality), and the score was not zero. I believe that monitor makes this test easy or difficult.

The most difficult row still is green-blue for me, and this might explain why it took me pretty long time to pick the right wall color from that pallet for the right room mood.
I grabbed all color swatches with slightly hue variations, cut them in different combinations, bought two paint samples- the longest time ever I've spent on colors ever, and thought I'm getting seriously color blind. This test explains, it was normal.

p.s. Typing raw instead of row... Do I spend too much time here?

Last edited by micromacro; 10-07-2014 at 09:27 AM.
10-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
No worries , I took that test a couple of years ago having different monitor (not matte from corner view and lesser quality), and the score was not zero. I believe that monitor makes this test easy or difficult.

The most difficult raw still is green-blue for me, and this might explain why it took me pretty long time to pick the right wall color from that pallet for the right room mood.
I grabbed all color swatches with slightly hue variations, cut them in different combinations, bought two paint samples- the longest time ever I've spent on colors ever, and thought I'm getting seriously color blind. This test explains, it was normal.
Men are supposed to have excellent vision in the green color spectrum range, from our hunger-gatherer days. I guess we've "devolved" with modern times.
10-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Men are supposed to have excellent vision in the green color spectrum range, from our hunger-gatherer days. I guess we've "devolved" with modern times.
Fine with me since I'm not a man.
10-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Fine with me since I'm not a man.
Touché...
10-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's confirmed I'm officially color deficient. Maybe i'm part of the statistics, the one in twelve it seems. On my calibrated wide gamut NEC display I scored even worse, a 16 the second time around (my laptop score was 12) I better start looking for a guide dog (no wait they're colorblind too)

Last edited by Stavri; 10-07-2014 at 08:23 AM.
10-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I better start looking for a guide dog (no wait they're colorblind too)
Don't worry... we'll all tell when the traffic lights have changed and it's safe to go.
10-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My checkbook is black and white, but I can see red after Mrs Rupert goes shopping....is this normal?

Regards!
10-07-2014, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I can see red after Mrs Rupert goes shopping....is this normal?
She adds lovely color in your life.
10-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I scored a 28. Must be time to get out the Spyder and readjust my monitor. It can't be me.