Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #16
Forum Member

I've scored a zero on this test before (taken on my macbook pro), but doing so again using a crappy company-issued HP laptop with even worse company-issued Dell monitors, I scored a 4.

10-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
She adds lovely color in your life.
Yes, she certainly does!
10-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
time to get out the Spyder and readjust my monitor
Does the Spyder software not jar you to do this each month? certainly my x-rite i1 Display Pro does.
10-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Huh, beat you all, I got 29.

10-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Well, I was being a little sarcastic about my own vision. Yes, it does remind me and my monitor is probably all right. After staring at that chart for a few minutes, it got a little strange. I could certainly distinguish the different hues but I had difficulty lining them up right. Old eyes.
10-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
15 here... and now my eyes hurt from staring at those little cubes!
10-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A calibrated screen may well make a difference, mine is but I hadn't considered that until you mentioned it. I wonder if magkelly uses a calibrated screen too?
I use my monitors straight from the box. I don't own a calibration device. Too pricey for my wallet. Other than making sure it and Photoshop are both set to Adobe RGB I don't mess around with that. I honestly don't see the need. In all the time I've been doing graphics I've never had any problem with color printing issues. I don't print at home and the print shop I use is pretty good. If there was any major problem that way I'm sure they'd tell me but so far no problems and FYI, I've had 3 monitors since I started using them. What amuses me is that I scored so well given I can't hard darn well see half the time. Last week or so my eyes have been swollen and very dry. I'm in a bad flare and yet I still scored a perfect? I did not expect that at all.

10-10-2014, 05:11 AM   #23

Got a 4. Not perfect but hopefully good enough, since colour correction is part of my job description.

Seing hues correctly is one thing, but there is so much more to colour perception. Room lighting for one, which is why my poor colleague sits in a dark dungeon with a neutral, 50% grey backlit wall that drives you nuts after an hour. Looking at certain colours too long and those receptors get exhausted. Even your physical condition plays a huge part. If you're tired, have a cold or just had a cup of coffee - since that influences how much blood flows through your retina.

Sometimes we keep looking at an image over a period of weeks and tweak it ever so slightly to and fro until it looks right.
We should have never evolved beyond monochrome!
10-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Not bad for early in the morning, on a crappy laptop monitor. Later I will try this on my color calibrated CAD/Photo workstation.

Maybe I can make a perfect score!

11-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
lol scored 49 , but then i do suffer from daltonism so im happy with that.
11-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

UGH!!! 33 here... but all of the deficiencies are clustered in tight groups... Gonna have to try again on my calibrated monitor at home.

Mike
11-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I got a 4.

Still, though, this test is very much a test of your monitor as well. Wide gamut isn't going to matter, since I think web is generally sRGB all the time anyway. (At least, HTML colors are.) It's things like microcontrast and brightness that are going to make the subtle differences. My monitor is calibrated ok but not perfect; I did the best I could with it. It's just not that good a monitor.

My wife got a 15.

Maybe someone knows better than I do, but I don't think your ability to distinguish colors fades with age. Sharpness does. I always figured that I am on the younger side of forum posters here (I'm 30), but I'm not sure it makes a difference on this test.

Last edited by MadMathMind; 11-17-2014 at 06:53 PM.