Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What do you think of Apple Watch?

As a runner I'm excited about the upcoming Apple Watch. My Garmin 405 watch is starting to show its age with a weaker battery life and occasional hard lock-ups. I know that the Apple Watch and my Garmin can both offer GPS tracked time and distance tracking but I'm curious to see how the Apple Watch can track my heart rate too. The typical heart rate straps that go around my chest are a nuisance to wear.

I'm also interested how well it would work as a sleep monitor. Could it track my heart rate and body temp as I sleep and see how fitfully I sleep?

What do you think?

10-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Battery life is going to be a limiting factor. It will need to be charged every day. The 2 versions with a sapphire screen may be delayed because the company that was going to make them filed for Chapter 11 and wants to close the plant...
10-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Battery life is going to be a limiting factor. It will need to be charged every day. The 2 versions with a sapphire screen may be delayed because the company that was going to make them filed for Chapter 11 and wants to close the plant...
There's an opportunity for some bright spark – develop a charging system that runs off body movement. My dad's old Omega Seamaster, that I wear every day, does that with mechanical energy using a system that used to be called "self-winding" and which Seiko later re-badged as "Eco-drive". The Apple Watch will need more energy, of course, but the basis has been there for a long time. When you think about it, it's a surprise that Apple didn't think of a self-charging system inside the Watch. Maybe next time.
10-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
– develop a charging system that runs off body movement
The True North Strong and Free have just invented this:-
Chin strap harvests energy from eating and talking and could one day power your mobile | Daily Mail Online

10-12-2014, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't worn a watch in many years and nothing I have read so far about the Apple watch makes me want to buy one.
10-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Thanks for the link. It's also encouraging that the Daily Mail Online has taken a break from celebrity gossip and diets to talk about something technical. On the other hand, that chin strap device mightn't work so well for one half of the population, at least.

Call me old school if you like (it's probably true in part) but I feel naked going out without a watch, and I do remember the opening scene to Easy Rider.
10-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if I have to carry my iPhone along with the watch for most of its features to work, then forget it. My first thought was that it would be nice for walking or running or tracking exercise, but there's no point in carrying both pieces of electronic gear. I'll wait until it actually comes out to see if it's really worth the $350+ asking price. I haven't worn a watch in a number of years since getting my first iPhone and there will have to be a compelling reason to start wearing one again now.
10-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had the impression that you could use it for some things as a standalone device but it would require syncing with your iPhone or iTunes to get more benefit.

10-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I had the impression that you could use it for some things as a standalone device but it would require syncing with your iPhone or iTunes to get more benefit.
It will play music as a standalone. But for any useful features it needs to be paired with an iPhone 6.
10-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We'll probably have to wait til it's released to find out what it can do on its own vs when it needs an iPhone in proximity. Probably limits on what can be fit within the space of a wrist watch, so the iPhone is needed for many things. But personally, I would cross it off my list if most times I have to carry both around with me.
10-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's an opportunity for some bright spark – develop a charging system that runs off body movement. My dad's old Omega Seamaster, that I wear every day, does that with mechanical energy using a system that used to be called "self-winding" and which Seiko later re-badged as "Eco-drive". The Apple Watch will need more energy, of course, but the basis has been there for a long time. When you think about it, it's a surprise that Apple didn't think of a self-charging system inside the Watch. Maybe next time.
Some comments:
The "self winding" system is known as an automatic mechanical watch. It uses a pendulum of sorts (weight that spins around) to wind the mainspring.
"Eco drive" is solar powered and is something Citizen came up with.
Seiko uses something called "kinetic" which is a system that charges the battery via movement similar to the automatic mechanical movements.
The amount of energy generated is nowhere near sufficient to charge something like a smart watch. Remember a typical quartz watch runs for years off a tiny battery so does not require much in the way of power.
10-13-2014, 03:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Some comments:
The "self winding" system is known as an automatic mechanical watch. It uses a pendulum of sorts (weight that spins around) to wind the mainspring.
"Eco drive" is solar powered and is something Citizen came up with.
Seiko uses something called "kinetic" which is a system that charges the battery via movement similar to the automatic mechanical movements.
The amount of energy generated is nowhere near sufficient to charge something like a smart watch. Remember a typical quartz watch runs for years off a tiny battery so does not require much in the way of power.
Thanks for the clarification. My memory is clearly not what it should be. The amount of energy able to be generated by such a mechanism would depend on the inertia of the system (it could be rotary or linear) and the amount of movement involved. Normal daily wear would probably be around 12 hours, so to generate and store about 500mAH of energy at 5Vdc would require an average power input of around 250mW (0.25W) allowing for losses. I wouldn't have thought that would be difficult to achieve, but perhaps the size of the system would preclude its being fitted internally.
10-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Knowing Apple I'm sure they will come up with an energy harvesting solution. Maybe they will scavenge thermal heat from the body plus mechanical motion of the body and solar radiation from the sun? The harvested energy alone may not be enough to run the watch but when partnered with a battery it may give extra life. I don't know how many people would expect to wear the watch for 24 hours. Apple should be expecting people to take it off at some point for an extended period of time. Personally, I would wear it during one of my running events which is a maximum of 2-4 hours in length. If it really does track sleep then I would wear it at night too. Otherwise, I would keep it charging.
10-13-2014, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I'll wait until Dick Tracy gives his stamp of approval.
10-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Living as I do in the 20th Century, I'm impressed by the technology and mystified that anyone would want one. ;~)