Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #31
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I used the active pronouns ("you" and "we") for impact but do not mean to judge any individual on their actions without knowing them.
Ah. I apologize then. When you said "you" I thought you meant me myself the person and were telling my why I drive what I drive.

As you can see I get a bit touchy about this. Sorry.

I agree on the way cities and suburbs and such are set up here. Drives me nuts sometimes.

05-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Again, more preconceptions. I get the "look" as the gas pump all the time.
Well, the vast majority of people with SUVs, even with large numbers of children would be better served by a mini-van. They even come in AWD if you really need it. They do generally get better gas mileage. Most folks can't get over the stigma of driving a mini-van though.
05-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #33
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Well, the vast majority of people with SUVs, even with large numbers of children would be better served by a mini-van. They even come in AWD if you really need it. They do generally get better gas mileage. Most folks can't get over the stigma of driving a mini-van though.
This was partly economic. The 8-seater minivan cost about 10k more than we got the SUV for. We got a pretty good deal on it. And now it's paid for so there we go.

but we're getting off the subject. back to people with dslrs and no clue how to use them.
05-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Ah. I apologize then. When you said "you" I thought you meant me myself the person and were telling my why I drive what I drive.
I also said "fear keeps us trapped in our little metal bubbles" to implicate myself. Because though I personally am not afraid and have only owned a car (under duress) for two years in my life, I am nonetheless part of the system that lets this happen. Still, as an artist I do everything I can to fight this. (I worked in politics doing the same for some years until I realised where my energies were best channeled.)

No offense meant and no apology necessary. :-)

Back to discussing, um, idiot people and their camera issues?

05-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photo classes I teach are approx 75% female. Have been for 10+ years. They may not know how the camera works, but at least they take classes to try to get better! Men rarely take class. Many could use it!
I go shooting with a small number of women photographers. One in particular can match any thing I do and has a better eye for the image. Knows the K20D inside and out. Does PP that I couldn't even begin to do correctly. Never underestimate a person who wants to take pictures. People also do this all the time with kids.
thanks
barondla

Enter the POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7. In the P&S forum. Any camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
05-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #36
Damn Brit

I've been wondering how different this thread would have been if this thread was titled 'The average Pentax DSLR owner'.
Going back to the start of the thread;

Character: Hello. I saw your presentation. Very interesting. I bought a Pentax K10d with the kit lens a couple of months ago. Got it really cheap. But I had a question.. Why is the 18-55 kit lens so much better than the Canon or Nikon kit lens?
05-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I've been wondering how different this thread would have been if this thread was titled 'The average Pentax DSLR owner'.
Going back to the start of the thread;

Character: Hello. I saw your presentation. Very interesting. I bought a Pentax K10d with the kit lens a couple of months ago. Got it really cheap. But I had a question.. Why is the 18-55 kit lens so much better than the Canon or Nikon kit lens?

To which the sales rep would reply:

"Because people will buy anything we sell them, because they are incredibly ignorant and shell out serious money for everything that has Canon or Nikon written on it, without giving it a second thought.".

05-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Now I can rest assured, knowing that whenever I see someone carrying an entry-level digital SLR, they might not have a clue what it's for.
That would not be safe assumption, given that our lovely little K100D can be considered such a camera. And we know there are lots of folks in this forum who clearly understand the mechanics! Maybe if you make it "non-Pentax entry-level DSLRs" instead...

Jim
05-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CycloneBandDad Quote
That would not be safe assumption, given that our lovely little K100D can be considered such a camera. And we know there are lots of folks in this forum who clearly understand the mechanics! Maybe if you make it "non-Pentax entry-level DSLRs" instead...

Jim
No I don't think we have to worry about that. All the utter newbs will go for one of the Big Two, or for Sony because "Sony makes very good cameras". (quote from a P&S user)
05-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

It is fun to witness and even mock some people as we are doing in the thread but some of you are coming across as being resentful, insecure or even jealous that how dare everyone have the opportunity to take pictures, photographs or digital images.
If they are buying expensive equipment to try and make up for the knowledge and experience you may or may not have, so be it. Indifference is what you should be expressing instead of sheer jealousy some of you have masked in ridicule.
05-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #41
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
It is fun to witness and even mock some people as we are doing in the thread but some of you are coming across as being resentful, insecure or even jealous that how dare everyone have the opportunity to take pictures, photographs or digital images.
If they are buying expensive equipment to try and make up for the knowledge and experience you may or may not have, so be it. Indifference is what you should be expressing instead of sheer jealousy some of you have masked in ridicule.
Hey Matt, I am jealous of those who buy a New D300 or K20d, and a good flash and some limited/nice fast lenses to go with it... I think how much better my photos would be if only I could afford those things.

But in reality it would probably be the same shots of kids and flies I post now, only I could crop more... And I could eat up more hardrive space.

My limits are probably not hardware related... but it does not stop me from wanting more and being a tad jealous of those who have it... and thinking "only if"
05-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
No I don't think we have to worry about that. All the utter newbs will go for one of the Big Two, or for Sony because "Sony makes very good cameras". (quote from a P&S user)
sony has carl ziess making their lenses and their CCD's are used to power every pentax k100/10/200D...

so why wouldnt sony make a great camera

ohh, you mean utility and ergonomics...

well sir, that is a matter of personal preference.
05-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #43
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Hey Matt, I am jealous of those who buy a New D300 or K20d, and a good flash and some limited/nice fast lenses to go with it... I think how much better my photos would be if only I could afford those things.

But in reality it would probably be the same shots of kids and flies I post now, only I could crop more... And I could eat up more hardrive space.

My limits are probably not hardware related... but it does not stop me from wanting more and being a tad jealous of those who have it... and thinking "only if"
Gus, stop lusting after something you might be disappointed with and buy a new lens.
Gary
05-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #44
Pentaxian

While watching some tv last night a commercial for the new Canon Rebel played and it showed the camera banging off pro quality shots at 3 frames a second of school plays and kids sports. Soccer moms and dads are their target market and thats the reason they are selling millions of those cameras. If only 1/4 of those new owners go on to learn how to use them and start buying lenses and accesories they will have added lots of customers who will upgrade to more expensive bodies in a few years. If Pentax doesn't go after the entry level market they will have to market their cameras to people who own other brands and if those folks are happy, why switch? I have owned Pentax cameras for 30 some years but there is a younger generation who has never heard of them. I saw a customer review post on New Egg for a Pentax camera that said it was a "pretty good camera for a new company". Somebody set him straight but many consumers think Nikon and Canon are all there is for good cameras.
05-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Dan, I saw a guy yesterday holding a canon EF 400mm DO lens. I spotted him walking down the Bourke St Mall in the city while I was at least 500 meters away from him.

The funny thing was that everyone could not help staring at this professional photographer with awe until I saw he was having the cap on while clicking away a few million images. His 1D Mark III was really a fast machine gun. It was just such a wonderful amusing scenery to visualise this guy in his own fantasy holding that gear as a phallic symbol, wagging around and clicking away. I had no clues what he was seeing through the view finder at all. His own visual hallucination driven by his own delusions were probably the highlight here...
James, I think the likely answer was right there in your post: "...everyone could not help staring at this professional photographer with awe...." I'm guessing that is what he was after–not images, but image.