Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that I'm back home, I have the links to the articles I made reference to.
Bike helmets are less effective than we think | ScienceNordic

Feds Withdraw Claim That Bike Helmets Are 85 Percent Effective | Washington Area Bicyclist Association

The debate has been going on for a long time and will likely continue to.

10-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I've been pulled in two directions on this issue for years.

One the one hand, I've been vaguely aware of 'studies' that have shown, for example, that you're 85% less likely to get a serious head injury if you wear a helmet. (I've since heard that study called into question.)

On the other hand, I've been aware (vaguely, because someone told me once) that head injuries have not gone down per mile travelled after helmet legislation was introduced.

Then, I have some doubts about the physics of helmet on small kids - on a close-to-ground bike, going maybe 8mp, how likely is a kid to ever get a head injury? Almost all 'injuries' are scrapes or bruises to hands, arms, legs. That thinking makes me feel guilty, because we're supposed to armor our children against all possible injuries at all times, right?

Then there's the personal anecdotal evidence. In decades of bike riding, I'm personally aware of no-one who's sustained a head injury that a bike helmet would have prevented. I know one person who had a bad neck injury, and she claims the helmet helped cause it. Every kid I knew growing up who was badly injured (one or two) were hit by a car, and a helmet would have made no difference.

So, you bicyclists out there... what do you think?
If you have any doubts, and it seems that you do by reading your post, don't take a chance: get one !
10-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #33
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

1988....We were in Big Bend vacationing with Mrs Rupert, myself, my youngest son, and his college roommate and best friend. All of us were on bikes...ranging from Mrs Rupert's 100 Honda to my Suzuki SP370.

We took a trip out through the most isolated part of the desert on a trail that would have been rough even for goats...it was about a 30 mile trip that ended at the Rio Grande river on the far east side of Big Bend. I took the lead, being the only experienced rider, and the others followed at various distances. I would stop several times, mostly to help Mrs Rupert who crashed with regularity. My son and his roommate were wild and carefree riders...maybe careless is a better word, but they managed to recover on their own when they crashed.

I was about a quarter mile or so ahead of the pack and crested a rise in the trail similar to this one. (In my Jeep in this shot years later)

I stopped at the top and took a break, it was 115F that day in the desert and I pulled off my helmet to air out. We were all wearing helmets. and Mrs Rupert had on body armor and gloves in addition...she looked like a battlefield warrior!

As I waited for the others my sons friend on his 250 Suzuki came screaming up the hill wide open and as he crested the top he went airborne, crashed, and was thrown to the side and hit his head sideways on a huge rock just to the edge of the trail. In the quietness of the desert you could hear the collision of he helmet with that rock for miles. I was horrified, and went over to check him out....he was dazed but not injured other than some severe scrapes on his arms and palms of his hands.
We were 15 miles from the river where there was a little store, and hours away from any medical attention. There is zero doubt that without that helmet he would have died right there in the desert that day. For the rest of our vacation, all the complaints of hot helmets ceased.

Regards!
10-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Riding a motorcycle... always wore a helmet.

11-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After years exploring the same issue on motorcycles.....ALl I can say is definitely helmet.....no question about it....
11-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Rupert, is it possible that he would have been more cautious without a helmet?

I usually wear one, on both my motorcycle and my bike. It shouldn't be mandatory on either, people should be able to assume their own level of risk. I see people in helmets and armor driving far too risky all the time; there is more to accident statistics than just the end point.
11-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Rupert, is it possible that he would have been more cautious without a helmet?
A 21 year old male, Cadet at Texas A&M, leader of the Corp of Cadets, having spent the past 4 years convincing himself and his classmates that they were above the crowd, and indestructible. It is doubtful that a little helmet gave him any more caution or sense than was already present....(which wasn't much!) Under those circumstances, your own youth can get you killed easily.
Although the helmet lesson did change his attitude (and everyone elses, including my son) it had little effect on other actions on that trip. The next day they were rafting down the RIo Grande and cliff jumping like they had defeated death, and fear, so must truly be invincible.

Short answer to your question...No, wearing the helmet was not a factor in his accident, except to save his life.

On the other hand, Mrs Rupert, was cautious to the extreme, and still took few chances. She had on so much protection she could have survived a head on crash with an 18 wheeler!
The funniest (to me) part of the ride that day was when I came back down the trail looking for her, and found she had crossed a little sandy dry creek in a ravine, lost control and her little Honda 100 was hanging in a Mesquite tree by the front wheel...still running, and she was sitting on a rock, uninjured and crying.

Youth in itself is a deterrent to safety and common sense.....it was for me too. When you get older, you wise up, or you get some bad "breaks"...or worse.

Those crazy riders you see weaving and going 120 on the freeway in heavy traffic......if you get a good look at them as they buzz by you, few if any are old guys like me!

Regards!

11-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As the old saying goes, there are old bikers, there are bold bikers, there are no old bold bikers.
11-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
As the old saying goes, there are old bikers, there are bold bikers, there are no old bold bikers.
Amen! (Which might be the last word the bold biker never heard?)
11-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I think many people consider a bicycle as something much safer than a motorcycle but it really isn't. I have scars from childhood bicycle mishaps. Bicycle helmets didn't exist in my day. I think the big issue over bicycle helmets vs MC helmets is the effectiveness of the rather flimsy bike helmets in anything other than very minor spills and impacts. In city traffic, a bicycle is moving at close to the same speed as motorcycles and cars in many instances but the bicycle rider has much less protection. Of course, suggesting that bicycle riders should wear full face helmets and heavy padded clothing is somewhat silly as it would be nearly impossible to ride with that gear. The ultimate end to all this is that no cycle is safe, whether it has a motor or is human powered and no amount of protective gear will ever protect someone who impacts a moving automobile on either. In my observations at least, urban bicycle riders zip around everywhere with little regard to traffic laws. I see them regularly run through red lights and move to the sidewalks if traffic gets congested, totally oblivious to the fact that even the smallest thing like a crack in the pavement can send them crashing down.
11-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
totally oblivious to the fact that even the smallest thing like a crack in the pavement can send them crashing down.
Mechanical failures too.....a helmet won't always protect you there. I think I was about 11-12 and was in downtown Grand Prairie Tx riding on the sidewalk when I took a hard downstroke on the pedals to beat the yellow light and jump the curb at the intersection on Main Street. Right pedal broke off and my crotch hit the crossbar with full force. My bike was in the street and so was I...all curled up in a ball and squealing like a stuck pig. It was one of the worst accidents I ever had!

Regards!
11-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Mechanical failures too.....a helmet won't always protect you there. I think I was about 11-12 and was in downtown Grand Prairie Tx riding on the sidewalk when I took a hard downstroke on the pedals to beat the yellow light and jump the curb at the intersection on Main Street. Right pedal broke off and my crotch hit the crossbar with full force. My bike was in the street and so was I...all curled up in a ball and squealing like a stuck pig. It was one of the worst accidents I ever had!

Regards!
Yep, I had a similar incident when I was perhaps 10 or 11. Pedal broke off and I got the crossbar with my crotch and other things. Just lucky I don't sing soprano these days!
11-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, always. It's the law here, anyway. Plus, friend of mine's son died cycling, so that brought it home quick! Saw a good friend come off his bike and land on his head. If he was not wearing a helmet, it would have been a disaster.
(I'm a member of two cycling clubs - did 70km this morning, for example, so I see a few spills)

My son got bowled off his bicycle by a car coming out of a suburban driveway. Again, good thing he was wearing a helmet.

I always use a helmet on a motorcycle too - Except in Rarotonga where no-one wears a helmet with scooters. But, not very clever - I know!
11-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #44
Inactive Account

I ride a minimum of twelve miles a day and i have both feet planted in the, i dont and will not wear a helmet untill the law requiers me too or they make one that can save me from spinal injury brigade! Until then I'd rather have my hearing and periferal vision uninpeeded thanks.
11-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cybertaff Quote
I ride a minimum of twelve miles a day and i have both feet planted in the, i dont and will not wear a helmet untill the law requiers me too or they make one that can save me from spinal injury brigade! Until then I'd rather have my hearing and periferal vision uninpeeded thanks.
Unlike motorcycle helmets, bicycle helmets do not impede hearing or sight. Also, helmets are designed to absorb force in case of an accident so wearing a properly manufactured and certified helmet will certainly help protect you from some spinal injuries. In yesterday's race I reached speeds of up to 60km/h and I'd not want to contemplate the disaster that could befall me without the correct clothing and a proper, certified helmet.