Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Unlike motorcycle helmets, bicycle helmets do not impede hearing or sight. Also, helmets are designed to absorb force in case of an accident so wearing a properly manufactured and certified helmet will certainly help protect you from some spinal injuries. In yesterday's race I reached speeds of up to 60km/h and I'd not want to contemplate the disaster that could befall me without the correct clothing and a proper, certified helmet.
In London atm there is a debate about mandatory helmet use NZ being cited as an example, I’ll confess when I race (xc) I do use a helmet and body armour, but cycling to the bike shop where I work I don’t, in a metropolitan urban environment I think the uk stat's state that 75% accidents and 70% of fatalities happen at junctions, and in the uk certainly( I can’t say for anywhere else cause I live in London) some changes to the road infrastructure would save more lives than mandatory helmet use

11-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cybertaff Quote
In London atm there is a debate about mandatory helmet use NZ being cited as an example, I’ll confess when I race (xc) I do use a helmet and body armour, but cycling to the bike shop where I work I don’t, in a metropolitan urban environment I think the uk stat's state that 75% accidents and 70% of fatalities happen at junctions, and in the uk certainly( I can’t say for anywhere else cause I live in London) some changes to the road infrastructure would save more lives than mandatory helmet use
You're probably quite correct with regard to road infrastructure changes. But, we have no funds for that here and unfortunately may car owners treat cyclists with contempt. When I go out, I wear bright clothing, flashing lights and always a helmet. I feel it's best to try to turn chance in my favour where I can!
11-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #48
Inactive Account

You're probably quite correct with regard to road infrastructure changes. But, we have no funds for that here and unfortunately may car owners treat cyclists with contempt. When I go out, I wear bright clothing, flashing lights and always a helmet. I feel it's best to try to turn chance in my favour where I can!
A sus trans study in the uk indicates that drivers will pass closer to a rider who is deemed to be "properly kitted out " helmet hi viz ect by about 8%, ironically my kids when they ride out with me are kitted out like this but we live in an environment that is not conducive for the young to ride on the public high way
11-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A sus trans study in the uk indicates that drivers will pass closer to a rider who is deemed to be "properly kitted out " helmet hi viz ect by about 8%, ironically my kids when they ride out with me are kitted out like this but we live in an environment that is not conducive for the young to ride on the public high way
Oh dear! Flick me a link to the study, if you can. Would make for a good discussion at our club! I've cycled in Amsterdam and it's amazing how different people there treat cyclists. Here, some motorists view us as a nuisance. What gets me going, is that a lot of motorists will complain we don't pay road taxes. But, we pay ACC and road taxes per car, so as our family owns two cars, i pay my fair share of ACC and road user charges. When I'm on my bike, my car is in the shed, so I feel I'm perfectly entitled to use the road (safely and courteously) even though we don't need to licence bicycles.

11-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #50
Inactive Account

This is one of the papers, the statistic about driving closer comes from an article on the BBC news website, read it on my phone will hunt down a link to that for you as well http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/files/file_public/cycle-helmets-evidencebrf.pdf
11-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is one of the papers, the statistic about driving closer comes from an article on the BBC news website, read it on my phone will hunt down a link to that for you as well http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/files/file_public/cycle-helmets-evidencebrf.pdf
Thank you! That is a very interesting document! I'll have a good slow read tonight.
11-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #52
Inactive Account

Thank you! That is a very interesting document! I'll have a good slow read tonight.
No worries always happy to talk bike, now if you crossed a bike with a camera I'd probably never shut up!

11-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No worries always happy to talk bike, now if you crossed a bike with a camera I'd probably never shut up!
You would not want photos of me from my bike's point of view!
11-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Has the GoPro got a vice-like grip on you, CT?
11-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #55
Pentaxian

That might be part of the same study where a male rider found that drivers allowed the safest passing room when he wore a long wig, so as to look female.
11-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Well I've had my life saved a couple of times by motor cycle helmets (the bikes sadly ended their lives),
I've been run off the road cycling more than once by large trucks and never smacked my head (yet) though I have walked away slowly with other injuries (one incident left me on crutches for a couple of weeks my thigh muscle got so badly bruised right to the bone)
I always wear a helmet though. the motorcycle accidents as a youth taught me that one. I also am riding in a very bust traffic wise urban area with bike lanes that most drivers do not respect (more than once i've seen people get doored by an idiot getting out of a car - easy to land on your head in that scene)

I have ridden without a helmet of course (usually when using a bike service in other cities)
never really feel comfortable without it on the roads though
11-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #57
Veteran Member

When I was a kid, I raced my brother on bicycles. I fell without a helmet and was knocked unconscious. I learned me lesson young.

I'd be dead right now if I didn't wear a motorcycle helmet. Actually, I'd be dead or seriously injured two or three times.

EDIT: Oh, and there was that one time in a whitewater kayak, upside down, dragging my helmeted head along the rocky river bottom.

Last edited by johnmflores; 11-06-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added
11-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I always, always, always wear a helmet when riding. My cycling history goes back to the late 80's when my father and I started touring the US and western Canada. I'm a bit of an extreme use case but it highlights the idea of if you ride long enough then its just a matter of time before you crash. The crash may your fault or not. It doesn't matter. A crash is a crash.

I have split a helmet and I would be a brain dead vegetable if I didn't wear one. Even good sunglasses are important. They not only keep bugs and dirt out of your eyes but they protect them. In one crash I landed on my head/face and rolled over, landing flat on my back. If I had not been wearing good sunglasses then I would have lost an eye too. I have no qualms spending $50+ on a helmet and on sunglasses. My life is worth more than that.

I wear a helmet also as an example to my kids. My wish is for them to grow up not thinking that a helmet is uncool. A helmet should be part of the uniform.
11-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Even good sunglasses are important. They not only keep bugs and dirt out of your eyes but they protect them.
I was coming back from Mexico on my 650 BSA many years ago and cruising along about 75 on a hwy with little traffic when I was slammed in the right eye (no shades on) and immediately had intense pain. When I reached for my eye I could feel the big blob of my eyeball just below the socket and blood running down my cheek. I shut it down as fast as I could, got off the road and took that fearful look in the rear mirror....opened my hand carefully so as not to drop my eyeball...and it held what was left of a giant grasshopper. My eye was beet red, but still there and at the next town I bought me a new pair of shades to replace the ones I had lost and was trying to ride without. Never rode again without eye cover.

Regards!
11-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was coming back from Mexico on my 650 BSA many years ago and cruising along about 75 on a hwy with little traffic when I was slammed in the right eye (no shades on) and immediately had intense pain. When I reached for my eye I could feel the big blob of my eyeball just below the socket and blood running down my cheek. I shut it down as fast as I could, got off the road and took that fearful look in the rear mirror....opened my hand carefully so as not to drop my eyeball...and it held what was left of a giant grasshopper. My eye was beet red, but still there and at the next town I bought me a new pair of shades to replace the ones I had lost and was trying to ride without. Never rode again without eye cover.

Regards!
Hell Rupert, That sounds like a scary experience! I always wear eye protection when cycling. Sadly I must confess that I have on numerous occasions had my mouth open and insects fly right in. Still, one should not complain about the free protein!