Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A new Pentaxian in the making :)

My dad has been playing around with the idea of buying a DSLR so he can shoot birds and other wildlife and nature-related things. As we have been discussing this, I've tried not to push Pentax on him, but to help him understand his other options in DSLR-land, as well. After only having been here (at his and Mom's house in Tennessee) for a day, he has pretty much decided that he wants a Pentax K10 like mine. He's undecided yet as to whether or not he's going to get the kit lens or go with something like the Sigma 17-70 like I have or the DA 16-45, but I think I've about convinced him that to shoot those birds in his backyard, he needs to get the DA55-300 like I just got. This evening, I caught him in the living room in his recliner reading my June issue of Outdoor Photographer.

We've been shopping around online for a K10, but any new ones that are left are expensive as all-get-out. I actually joked around with him that I could always sell him my K10D, combine that money with the tax rebate money ($600) and buy myself a K20. Another plus of selling him my body is that he knows where it's coming from and that I take care of my gear.

Honestly, I'm not sure what DH and I are going to be doing with that money, as we have several possibilities we could put it towards. Just a few minutes ago, I had another brainstorm (uh oh!)...I could sell him my K10D and buy myself a brand new K200D. It's a lot like the K10, so I wouldn't really be missing anything, plus it's a little smaller, which isn't a problem for me. My dad has big hands and I really think he likes how the K10 feels in them. I'd even thought about working out some sort of trade where I would order the K200 with the kit lens II and since I don't need the kit lens, give him a really good deal on that, as well--say for the price difference between the K200 body alone and the K200 kit (around $60).

That deal might actually work if my dad doesn't have a problem with us having different cameras.

My dad, mom, and I are going out with a couple of friends of theirs tomorrow--the husband is an avid photographer himself (Canon) and I'm going to let Dad play with my gear a little bit.

I'm really tickled about this, as it will give me and my dad something in common that we can both do when we get together.

Heather

05-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Just a thought Heather, if you and your dad are going to be spending a lot of time together it would be useful to have different bodies as the different bodies seem to have different strengths (and weaknesses).

The other option would be to have a K10d each and then you would have to buy a K200d between you to share as a backup body. (this would cut down on the arguments when you both want to use the same body, unless of course you both decided you wanted to use the backup).
Gary
05-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hmmmm...the part about K10d's being expensive. I just bought mine a few weeks ago for 699 body only and the kit lens by itself for 99. This was at Wolf camera so I would try any Wolfs or Ritz Cameras that may be in your area. The salesman I talked to said they still had some in the warehouses and they werent flying off the shelves.

But if getting a K20d is a possibility then you might want to go for that. Same great camera with even better resolution. I love my K10 but would upgrade if I could. I will probably have my K10 until the K30 comes out and the K20's drop in price.

Tough call, but at least you get to make it.

Last edited by Bokeh; 05-18-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: i cant freakin type
05-23-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not quite a Pentaxian, but...

...Dad's the proud new owner of a Canon Xsi & kit lens. A friend of his who shoots Canon encouraged him to get it, so while at Dury's in Nashville the other day, he picked it up. The funny part about it is that the main reason we were there was that I wanted to look at camera bags, which I did, but ironically, I didn't walk out with anything.

After playing with the Canon, I've come to the conclusion that my Pentax is easier to use than the Canon, as I can't even get it to work--there's something extra that you need to do between turning it on and starting to shoot with it that I haven't been able to figure out, but Dad has, thank goodness. I just think that the Pentax is more intuitive than the Canon, because even in the beginning, it was easy to figure out how to turn it on and start shooting, even it it was in green mode.

Unlike me, I don't think Dad's going to develop a case of LBA, as the number of Canon and 3rd party VR/OS lenses are limited and more expensive. Dad (and Mom) are also retired, plus Mom is the keeper of the family purse strings, so that will put a damper on any LBA tendencies he may have.

Overall, I'm glad that Dad and I now have a hobby in common. Growing up, I wasn't that close to him, but now this gives us another reason to spend time together and that's what's really important, regardless of our differing camera mounts.

Heather

05-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My Dad desperately wants a Pentax DSLR. He got me into the craze throughout my childhood and gave me my K1000 when I was about thirteen. He taught me everything he knows about photography, and every time I pick up the camera, I think about him sitting me down and explaining the relationship between ASA, shutter speed, and aperture; focal length and perspective; composition and exposure. Photography and model railroading were what he and I did together, and although the railroading phase passed long ago, he and I can still talk about photography. I think I make some pretty decent images now, and I certainly have him to thank for it. I would love nothing more than to see him get a new camera and enjoy photography again. He's got a full set of good telephoto primes gathering dust, waiting for a digital body... maybe he'll be able to "stimulate the economy" in the near future.
05-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update...I may be able to make a Pentaxian out of Dad yet!

That Canon that my dad bought last week while I was in Tennessee visiting him and Mom has given him nothing but problems in the almost 2 weeks he's had it that's caused him to miss some good shots while he was camping with my mom this week. It looks like they may have to take it back to the camera store for service (or even an exchange).

I think I'm going to email him and urge him to take another look at Pentax. I know Wolf Camera carries them, so I wish he would find one that actually has them in stock and go and play with one (a K200D). I'm going to remind him that with the Pentax, ALL lenses are stablized, unlike his Canon and that the Pentax will actually cost him less in the long run, not only for the body, but for the lenses, as well since he doesn't have to pay a premium for IS lenses. If he takes my advice, goes and plays with the Pentax and decides he likes it better than the Canon, he can always return the Canon for a refund instead of worrying about getting it serviced.

I realize that the same thing could happen to a Pentax, but in a sense, I see this as a second chance for me to convince him that a Pentax would be better for him than the Canon.

Keep your fingers crossed!
Heather
06-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Work on him. You played fair the first time and the Canon nuts didn't, so he ended up with a Canon. This is your chance to fix that. Good luck the dark side is powerful.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Less than 1 week to go.

06-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #8

what kind of problems? Ive had a 20d for 3 years now, the canon is pretty much turn on and shoot, aside from the fact that I use it in manual or semi manual mode, but hey if you look at my other cameras that would make sence..

I wouldn't recomend the xti or xsi models(i don't think much of kit lenses either but I digress) though because from what I understand they are pretty much more automatic for the people that don't know what their doing.

*****The darkside is very powerful *evil grin* I probably will stay canon (5D replacement coming this fall) digitally till Pentax ever releases that 645D

Last edited by johnsey; 06-01-2008 at 11:22 PM.
06-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As to the type of problem he's been having, it's called an "Error 99" problem. He turns it on, attempts to shoot, and nothing happens besides the "Error 99" message popping up on the LCD. When I tried to mess with it, I thought I was losing my mind for a second because I have never had any problems like that, even with the Canon G7 I used to have.

Update on the situation--Mom emailed and said that since the camera store they bought it from doesn't have a service department, they'll be sending it directly back to Canon for service. Mom and Dad expect to have it back by the time the leave for their next trip on June 18. That sounds awfully fast for a service department.

Apparently my efforts for plugging Pentax fell on deaf ears. Oh well. Regardless, I'm sure we'll still enjoy shooting together when we can.

Heather
06-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sent a friends drebel in once with the ol 99. It wouldn't af but would work fine in mf. In af it would lock up. When camera came back from C it wouldn't af or mf! Went in second time for that. Came back fine but the total frame counter showed 990,000 shots. Freaked the friend out. Finally figured out how to reset that.
Getting a camera back by 18th seems awful iffy to me! Can't beleive dad is putting up with a new camera that is being repaired from the start. Should have exchanged it. Ain't it fun owning C! Wish him luck.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST # 7 IN P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Less than a week left.