Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I switched to Mac when OS X first hit the streets (2001 I think) and I have never looked back. I switched for one reason: I was sick of Windows. The fun was gone for me so I searched out the options and Mac was about it for me. I'm on my second iMac, a 27" model I got a couple of years ago. I love the machine and since the World is full of critics I just ignore the negative stuff.

11-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #32

If you decide to buy the last Mac Mini, make sure to choose the proper RAM configuration, because contrary to the previous model, the RAM can't be upgraded after purchase.
11-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I'm far from an Apple fanboy, but our household has become more and more Apple-centric.

I'm thinking of getting a Mac, but have no overwhelming need for it - I love the OS, like the Unix-like flavor of it, and am interested in using it also as an entertainment hub that's more capable of integration with the rest of our IOS devices (two iphones, two apple TVs, 1st-gen ipad and ipad Mini 2.)

I can't justify a huge purchase for the whim I describe above, and the Mac Mini seems like a great "toes in the water" step.

Thoughts? What do I need to consider? Talk me into it or out of it?
Since you are past your tinkering days, the mini will be a good, low-cost appliance for you. It can be tucked neatly beneath your monitor and you'll hardly know its there. There's something nice about that, and still not very common in the PC world.

These days Lightroom/Mac is virtually identical to Lightroom/Windows. And AFAIK, Adobe products (including Lightroom) rely more upon the CPU than GPU for image/graphic processing so the integrated GPU of the mini should not hold you back.

If you wanna save some coin, get a refurb from the online store. Use the savings to get a trackpad or pocket the savings.
11-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Since you are past your tinkering days, the mini will be a good, low-cost appliance for you. It can be tucked neatly beneath your monitor and you'll hardly know its there. There's something nice about that, and still not very common in the PC world.

These days Lightroom/Mac is virtually identical to Lightroom/Windows. And AFAIK, Adobe products (including Lightroom) rely more upon the CPU than GPU for image/graphic processing so the integrated GPU of the mini should not hold you back.

If you wanna save some coin, get a refurb from the online store. Use the savings to get a trackpad or pocket the savings.
Just checked, no mini refurbs from the official apple refurb site right now. mini refurbs

But I am considering getting a 2012 quad-core version and upgrading it some myself, RAM + SSD. We'll see what I can scare up out there and if it's worth it.

I own LR5 for windows; I assume I'll need to re-buy it for Mac. Oh well.

I was playing with the new 27'' 5K-screen iMac in a Best Buy yesterday. Sweet. Too sweet. I should never have touched it.

11-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Just checked, no mini refurbs from the official apple refurb site right now. mini refurbs

But I am considering getting a 2012 quad-core version and upgrading it some myself, RAM + SSD. We'll see what I can scare up out there and if it's worth it.
That would be the one to get. Damn, now I want one!
11-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I'm not a Mac guy - portions of Apple's philosophy run counter to my own - but IMO it makes sense to get what most appeals to you, and it sounds like a Mac makes sense if you have a mostly Apple-centric household.

The "Apple Tax" of years past has pretty much dissipated over the last couple of years, and IMO Macs offer pretty good value compared with WinPCs.

Get what makes you happy!
11-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I would like to echo one of the themes in this thread and that is how Macs tend to "age" vs. Windows PCs. In my experience Windows PCs tend to get bogged down in conflicting updates to the operating system and applications. Shared library files for code are updated by Windows but the applications work better with previous versions. After a few years the Windows PC feels sluggish and it grinds. Macs don't have this problem because a lot of applications are self contained units complete with their own versions of library code files. An update to something like Microsoft Office will not affect how Aperture performs. You can easily keep your Mac for 5 to 7 years or even more and it won't feel old. I kept my PowerPC based system from 2004 to 2011 before the power supply fried. My replacement Intel based Mac has been working just fine with no perceived degradation in performance after updates to both applications and OS X.

OS X is a flavor of Unix. If you like to tinker with the operating system then all you need to do is open up a terminal window and go nuts!

Tinkering with the hardware is harder since everything is so integrated. Personally, I'm OK with that because I wouldn't have time to get into it anyways. Just because I can open the hood of my car doesn't mean I care to disassemble the engine.

If you don't like your Mac you can always sell it for more than you could a used PC.
I still use my 2008 Imac for LR5 and Dxo image stuff.....goes ok....can work against you though as I'd like a new one but can't justify it!
11-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The most important thing is the drive

No matter what config I land on it's going to have SSD, either a dedicated SSD or as part of the Fusion drive. That just brings the zippiness. Brings it! (Processor upgrade + RAM upgrade to 8 + Iris GPU upgrade) == SSD/Fusion.

11-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #39
Pentaxian

SSDs have fallen so far in price, that unless you need gobs of space I wouldn't bother with Fusion at all and simply get a large SSD.
11-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own LR5 for windows; I assume I'll need to re-buy it for Mac. Oh well.
In accordance with the Eula you can use the license on 2 computers, Win and Mac, but, you can only use LR on one machine at a time.
11-28-2014, 10:34 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
11-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Waiting for Windows 10....my friend at his Computer Store is Beta testing it now. So far...so good. I need a new computer to replace my old XP, but Do Not want Windows 8.
I would hate to switch to a Mac, but Windows 10 have to be much better than the past three Windows "upgrades" or I will consider it.

Regards!
11-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2012 or 2014? Specs?
11-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
2012 or 2014? Specs?
2014 'middle' version, with 2.6ghz i5, 8gb ram, Fusion drive (128GB SSD + 1TB HDD in one volume group/file system), IRIS graphics.

I was thinking of jumping on the $300 Monoprice 27'' 2560x1440 monitor, but really like My Dell 23'' IPS... So I got a $139 glossy-screen 23'' IPS Lenovo and am running dual displays, my Dell with a DisplayPort cable and the Lenovo with HDMI, both running at 1080p. Using my AudioEngine D1via USB for sound.

Just copied my iTunes library over from the old PC today...

Super happy with this setup so far, feel like I should have done this years ago. We'll see how the Mac world wears over time, there might be things that pop up that annoy me but for now I really, really enjoy how slick and smooth and fast everything is, while being able to play around with the system from a bash shell and have everything so familiar.
12-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #45
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Waiting for Windows 10....my friend at his Computer Store is Beta testing it now. So far...so good. I need a new computer to replace my old XP, but Do Not want Windows 8.
I would hate to switch to a Mac, but Windows 10 have to be much better than the past three Windows "upgrades" or I will consider it.

Regards!
Win8 is not bad at all... quite stable actually and fast-loading.
If you want to future-proof yourself however you're doing the right thing.