Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Happens When You REALLY Tick Me Off...

I'm normally a pretty easy going person. I do get stressed but I don't often get nasty. Today though I lost it and showed my B side in a big way. I took my Dad shopping this afternoon. As we were coming out of the store a woman pulled up in back of me and proceeded to park in such a way that I couldn't see to get out. She wanted my spot which was the only handicapped one close to the store coming open just then. FYI, it was raining buckets, the back end of my car was all wet and visibility was about zero so no way was I just going to pull out and take my chances on not hitting her or someone else. She was up my arse besides, so close I could not have pulled out in her direction. I could not see on the other side either, big truck, so I was really stuck.

In that particular parking lot you do NOT just pull out any which way and take your chances. I've been hit from behind twice now in that lot, once from that exact same spot. I rarely if ever use the handicapped spots there even though I need them because I like to park so I can pull through and not have to back out. But today I had Dad with me and I could not do that.

For the record I have a legitimate disability, one in particular that really affects how I can get in and out of parking spots and yes, I do have a placard. I tried very nicely to explain this to the woman but she just insisted she had a right to that spot and that she wasn't moving. My Dad also tried to explain. Pleaded with her to move rather than make me risk an accident. Nope, she wasn't going to move back one mm even though it was raining and I could not see her to back out properly. I finally told her. "Fine. Then I hope you like to wait because if you won't move then I'm going to have to wait until the truck does and that could be a while since that guy just went in." I then proceeded to turn off my car and sit there, in the rain, doing exactly that.

30 mins later I think the guy comes out and moves his truck and I can finally see to go sideways to leave. But this woman she literally sat there all that time, just behind my car, just to mess with me. FYI, there were two other handicapped spots that came open in the meantime. She could have easily had either one of them and one of them was even closer to the store so you know the only reason she sat there was to give me a hard time. Well, I do hope she enjoyed herself TRYING.

My Dad calls me "ballbuster" sometimes when he gets mad at me and I won't just do what he wants and give in. Usually it's an insult but he when I finally got out of there today he was laughing and he shook his head and he used the term with a little more respect and affection this time. I came thisclose to just pulling out and creaming her car on purpose. For one evil moment I thought about it, but then common sense reigned. I thoroughly enjoyed making her wait and spoiling her little piss me off party though. But no my parents did not raise a docile child. I go out of my way usually to be nice to older people, but not today. I'd like to hope she got the message and the next time she decides to mess with another handicapped person that maybe she'll think of me and not go there? I doubt it though....

Last edited by magkelly; 11-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.
11-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done the same thing in similar situations.
Safety first. Especially when you get to rub it in.
11-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yip, would of done the same thing. lol, maybe she forgot her meds that day and was experiencing a withdrawal. I have seen stuff like that go on in the pain management parking lot. LOL, I have actually boycotted that certain parking lot, I drop the relative off in front of the building and stay at the Starbucks until they call to be picked up.
11-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm normally a pretty easy going person. I do get stressed but I don't often get nasty. Today though I lost it and showed my B side in a big way. I took my Dad shopping this afternoon. As we were coming out of the store a woman pulled up in back of me and proceeded to park in such a way that I couldn't see to get out. She wanted my spot which was the only handicapped one close to the store coming open just then. FYI, it was raining buckets, the back end of my car was all wet and visibility was about zero so no way was I just going to pull out and take my chances on not hitting her or someone else. She was up my arse besides, so close I could not have pulled out in her direction. I could not see on the other side either, big truck, so I was really stuck.

In that particular parking lot you do NOT just pull out any which way and take your chances. I've been hit from behind twice now in that lot, once from that exact same spot. I rarely if ever use the handicapped spots there even though I need them because I like to park so I can pull through and not have to back out. But today I had Dad with me and I could not do that.

For the record I have a legitimate disability, one in particular that really affects how I can get in and out of parking spots and yes, I do have a placard. I tried very nicely to explain this to the woman but she just insisted she had a right to that spot and that she wasn't moving. My Dad also tried to explain. Pleaded with her to move rather than make me risk an accident. Nope, she wasn't going to move back one mm even though it was raining and I could not see her to back out properly. I finally told her. "Fine. Then I hope you like to wait because if you won't move then I'm going to have to wait until the truck does and that could be a while since that guy just went in." I then proceeded to turn off my car and sit there, in the rain, doing exactly that.

30 mins later I think the guy comes out and moves his truck and I can finally see to go sideways to leave. But this woman she literally sat there all that time, just behind my car, just to mess with me. FYI, there were two other handicapped spots that came open in the meantime. She could have easily had either one of them and one of them was even closer to the store so you know the only reason she sat there was to give me a hard time. Well, I do hope she enjoyed herself TRYING.

My Dad calls me "ballbuster" sometimes when he gets mad at me and I won't just do what he wants and give in. Usually it's an insult but he when I finally got out of there today he was laughing and he shook his head and he used the term with a little more respect and affection this time. I came thisclose to just pulling out and creaming her car on purpose. For one evil moment I thought about it, but then common sense reigned. I thoroughly enjoyed making her wait and spoiling her little piss me off party though. But no my parents did not raise a docile child. I go out of my way usually to be nice to older people, but not today. I'd like to hope she got the message and the next time she decides to mess with another handicapped person that maybe she'll think of me and not go there? I doubt it though....
I would have called the mall security or cops.

11-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was tempted but I decided just to wait her out.

What got me the most is she's sitting right there on my tail so she can see that I can't hardly see out the back, that the truck is totally blocking my view. One ounce of common sense in her and she'd have moved if only to not risk damage to her own car. I mean I'm in a handicapped spot. Obviously maybe I have physical issues myself? I'm standing there for at least 5 mins in the flipping pouring rain trying to explain to this woman that I physically can't look back well enough to guarantee us getting out of there safely because I have neck issues. That even if I could because of the truck and the ton of rain on the window I still can't SEE enough to just back out the other way, and that's she's too darned close for me to just risk it her way. She deliberately ignored what I was saying. If it had not been raining hard and if she'd not been such a jerk about it, I'd have asked Dad to maybe stand in the spot to hold it for her, but it was pouring rain, she was being a total jerk, and I'm not about to ask my near 90 year old handicapped Dad to stand out in the pouring rain just so she can be 100% sure that she will be the one to get my parking spot if she moves.

One thing I really hate now about this town, a town I partly grew up in, is how people have gotten so self centered the past few years. Manners used to be a big thing here, but lately anywhere I go, and particularly when it comes to driving, it's all about "me" with the people I meet. My Dad says I am way nicer than I ought to be because I try to be a mannerly driver, let someone go ahead of me when I know they've been sitting there longer, or have a difficult turn to make, that kind of thing. I guess he is right. I am too nice about it mostly because when someone actually does that for me it's so rare it makes my day. I got tapped the other day because after I did look and start to back out some guy didn't look and he just came around the corner and down the row I was in without even pausing. I was halfway out of my spot and both my Dad and I were looking so I know he wasn't there when I started. He was just doing what half the people in that parking lot tend to do, speeding around a corner, hustling quick down a row, looking to jump into the one open spot left before someone else got it. It's a very popular strip mall and parking there can be killer tough some days. I personally don't think a parking spot closer to the door is worth a ding to my car, but some people they just don't care apparently.

This older guy, he ran right into my side and dented my door. He was totally pissed with me and yet I was the one who was half out of my spot before he even turned the corner and who nearly got t-boned. I got my insurance stuff out and tried to be polite about it but my Dad who was with me told him point blank what he'd done and that it was his fault that I'd not only looked, but that he had double checked for me, and that I'd pulled out before he even went around the corner. He started to argue but then looked at where he hit me and realized it was so. If he had been going more than 25 MPH he could have seriously injured me. I'm guessing he wasn't insured properly or didn't want to pay more on his insurance because the next thing I know he's blowing me off, getting into his car and speeding off. I got most of his tag and I reported it to Allstate and the police. That he just took off after he hit me. Allstate is taking care of the door, no problem, and I'm not at fault at all according to the police and the guy Allstate sent, but this guy? They can't find him so far and so he's getting away with a hit and run situation...

But that's how it works half the time here. People just don't even look or care and I see so many cars with dents, serious ones that it's almost absurd. I hate driving here now, I really do. I have to but I don't like to. It's just not as safe as it was when I was younger, particularly with cell phones and all that. I see way too many serious accidents in this area even on the back roads where it really should not even be happening much. In just this month alone 3X I've seen parts of various cars on our street right outside our park, which is not that busy of a road most of the day. Car parts literally on the lawns and in the medium strips before they clean them up. The next street up is, very busy. You'd see a fair share of accidents on that street all the time. It's the main street most people use here to get to the highway, but until lately I'd never seen one on our street, and it's been a few a month, at least, all this year...

I told Dad about a year ago that I thought the population in this town was booming that it wasn't just the snowbirds coming and going anymore causing traffic. He shrugged it off, said nope, but I checked. We have grown a lot. Last 10 years we have grown in population by 30% and that's only the beginning. It's projected to be nearly 50% population growth by 2025 or so. It's been apparent to me for some time now that half the population of Michigan, NJ and NY, seems to be moving down here looking for jobs they can't find up there. Also, immigrants. There's a huge population of people here now from places like Russia, Bosnia and Mexico. Lots of people from Korea and Thailand, some places in Africa and Haiti too I think. All of a sudden we have a lot more Bosnian food markets, Asian markets, Haitian markets, Thai food places, stuff like that. I never saw any of that growing up here.

With all the new faces there's been a corresponding problem with traffic and all that. They're redoing a lot of the roads as I speak, making more lanes, more highway ramps. They've been talking commuter trains for a while now too, but I doubt will happen. This place it's all about it's cars. The bus ridership is up though so who knows? All I know is I used to be able to go to the grocery store without having to stand in line all day and drive without having to worry much about being rear ended. Now? I'm lucky if I can hit 7-11 at 10PM for a Slurpee and not get in trouble that way. Oh and for all they keep telling us crime in town is down we never had much by way of home invasions, car jackings and the like when I was growing up here, and now it's an almost everyday thing. I'm NOT packing a gun now just because it amuses me.

Two weeks ago they fished a dead body out of the same bayou that was behind us where my roommates and I used to live when I was in college here. (Dad did too. Same building, different apartment. He moved there after Mom died and then I got a place there later myself with some friends so I could be close to school and him.) Literally where I used to sit on a lawn chair and watch the dolphins frolic at sunset they found a man MURDERED and guess what he's not the only body found there this year apparently. I was floored when I found out. I used to sit there and hang out all night with my friends. We never even had to lock the back door it was so quiet and so safe. Nothing ever happened the whole six years I was living there, not even a burglary, nothing until my Dad got mugged and a security guy got a gun held to his head all in the same week. That was the week it all changed and we decided to move out and convinced my Dad to move out and across town too. Now? I'm living in a worse place in terms of crime but he won't move. He wants to die here and I guess I'm just going to have to respect that.

But BOY has this place changed from when I was a kid. People are RUDE, they drive like maniacs, and there is way more crime here than the cops are claiming. Only an idiot would not see that but we're not supposed to be saying anything apparently, not according to the mayor's office anyway. I guess today could have been worse. She could have been mental like the road rage guy who tailgated me all the way to the post office and who pounded on my car and that and who got himself arrested for it...

This USED to be a sleepy southern town. Flipping Mayberry practically, only with more old people. Not anymore. Washington State, west? It's looking better and better. I just have to choose the right small town I guess and avoid being too close to Seattle, Tacoma and that. I want easy access to the Pacific ocean and a fairly small town. I know nowhere is perfect but I've about had enough of the East Coast again. CA I can't afford now, so WA it will probably be but when Dad goes I'm totally out of here. I loathe where I live now, I really do. I've lived in some pretty big cities, NYC, for one. I never worried half as much about any of this as I do here. This place lately it's got me acting like a total worry wart. UGH.

Last edited by magkelly; 11-17-2014 at 06:41 PM.
11-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The annoying fact about driving - you can be in a driving situation where you are 100% legally, morally and ethically right. Evidence, witnesses, laws are all on your side. Another person could be 100% wrong in every way: impaired, incompetent, illegal, unsafe or stupid. Still, the smartest course is to let them get away with it, at least temporarily.