cold
real cold
really freakin' cold
not getting out of bed cold
That means you're fine with 50 °C?
11-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spent 30 years in California...moved back to Pennsylvania...WHY...certainly not for the weather.
11-19-2014, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Could we use Celsius please?
Around here, many mornings in winter, we dip to the point where the two scales are the same, which is around -34. It isn't that cold yet. While some think there is a psychological difference in having the higher numbers of the Fahrenheit scale seem warmer, it lasts as long as 2 seconds.

11-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Around here, many mornings in winter, we dip to the point where the two scales are the same, which is around -34.
Can I just say ""?
11-19-2014, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Around here, many mornings in winter, we dip to the point where the two scales are the same, which is around -34. It isn't that cold yet. While some think there is a psychological difference in having the higher numbers of the Fahrenheit scale seem warmer, it lasts as long as 2 seconds.
I get Kelvin as a very scientific scale (starts at the point where there is no movement in matter and is open ended) and I get Celsius as a very convenient and logical scale (0 = water freezes, 100 = water boils, above 0 you can expect rain, below 0 you can expect snow etc.), but I have no idea why someone would come up with something like Fahrenheit.

Even though this image somehow makes it look a bit more logical

11-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

We get that occasionally in Toronto (the big city and the lake keep us warmer mostly) but when i lived north it was pretty regular in January and February.. Whe i lived in Winnipeg (aka Winter-peg) in the pre Celsius Canada I remember being sent to walk to school in -66F and then being sent out to play in it at recess. (and no it wasnt uphill both ways ......old guy jokes all heard before )

11-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Ooops! I did search for weather threads but didn't see that--maybe we should close this one down? Can you provide a link?
Here's a link to that thread. It started in December 2013 but if you start in at the last couple pages you've be up to speed for this year:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/244510-your-place.html
11-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Of course I come from a place where if we get sun we go to the beach doesn't matter what the temperature is

but the lifeguards won't work in the cold, i guess shrinkage gets really dramatic in a speedo at -20 C

11-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Here's a link to that thread. It started in December 2013 but if you start in at the last couple pages you've be up to speed for this year:

Thanks for the link Stan! No wonder I didn't find it with that title. 101 pages huh? Still, I guess I'll just see how this one flies.
11-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link Stan! No wonder I didn't find it with that title. 101 pages huh? Still, I guess I'll just see how this one flies.
Yeah - I would say keep this one going. That other thread is in "The Lounge" and only site supporters have access to it.
11-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I was happy to see some early snow here. 30"+ up high, just in time for nearby ski areas to open next week. Maybe 6" fell here in town and it's melted down to about 2".
I skied both days last weekend which was a nice quick transition from cycling the previous weekend. Currently it's 24 F and I'll be riding my bike home in a few minutes.
More snow is supposed to come by the weekend. I like snow, but I'm glad I don't live in Buffalo!
11-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Ooops! I did search for weather threads but didn't see that--maybe we should close this one down? Can you provide a link?
Right here.....it's mostly all we talk about and have been for a long time. You are all welcome to join in or stay right here...seems no one ever gets tired of talking about the weather!

Sunny skies and no wind today here in my part of Texas.....70F and as perfect a day as you could ask for.

Regards!

BTW: Some don't enjoy the Lounge, it's true, we do smoke a lot of cigars in there and drink plenty of hard liquor, but since it is all free...why not! Rumors of nude dancing girls is grossly overstated, it's only on Fridays and only if we can find the girls...which isn't always easy.
11-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Some don't enjoy the Lounge, it's true, we do smoke a lot of cigars in there and drink plenty of hard liquor, but since it is all free...why not! Rumors of nude dancing girls is grossly overstated, it's only on Fridays and only if we can find the girls...which isn't always easy.
I hear there's cheese & bacon there, too. ;~)
11-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I hear there's cheese & bacon there, too. ;~)
Yes, I've heard that too, but am always just a few minutes late to get any. Watch out for the guy with the Lutefish, he can spring it on you when least expected.

Regards!
« Gold Diggers! | So »