Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sadly today is more like London (in fact even warmer so more like Vancouver with a drizzle all day )

12-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #107
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Guess I forgot you guys here outside of the Lounge. So here is a partial clone of the post in Rupert's weather thread:

We had heavy rains with some lowland flooding, and high winds in excess of 70 mph. As I was driving home last Thursday after work I had to detour several times for trees across the highway on my way out of the city to our Little Slice Of Paradise By The River.

As I dodged trees and limbs on the road I began to have that odd feeling that something awaited me as I drew close to home. As I mad that last turn off of the county road onto the private road we live on I had that feeling of something ominous ahead. Sure enough, only a few hundred feet down the road in the darkness I saw this:

A very large tree (about 18" in diameter) had fallen across the road, completely ripping down several spans of power and phone wires. So I though, "No big deal, I'll just turn around and come in the back way". There is a road that ends on the back side of my property and a gate that I usually keep locked. When there are trees down or for other reasons where access is needed by up or the neighbors I open it, but it usually stays closed.

As I made my way back out, and down the other road to come in the back way I found more trees down on the power lines, but was able to get around them on the shoulder of the road:

Needless to say the power was out. In fact when I called the power company to report the wires on the ground they told me that at that point in time there were about 50,000 customers without power.

The next morning the power was still out. Since we have a private well we keep water in empty milk jugs in the basement to flush the toilet and use for washing up. I heated water on the propane gas cooktop in a large pot and then used it to get a "bath" before heading into the city to work. When I came home Friday night the power was still out, and no utility crews in sight. Another call to the power company and I found out that there were still about 12,000 customers without power.

The power came back on early Saturday, after having been out for approximately 38 hours.

Living in the sticks can be rough, and sometimes the weather here in the Great Pacific Northwet can suck, but I would not trade it for city life. The peace and quiet are priceless.
01-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #108
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Your weather thread just fizzled out over here.....I was afraid it would, and advised you of ways to improve it, but you guys didn't listen.

If you want good weather reporting, you are certainly welcome to visit with us in the Lounge, where weather reporting is a top priority, and we are very skilled at it!

If you are closed in by lousy weather, we also have a food thread that can help you enjoy gaining 10-20 pounds while you are weather bound! Come visit us, we'll be glad to see you!

Regards!
01-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Oh stop it with the Lounge ads! Our weather is free, free like a bird ...

Weather in the German/Dutch border region currently close to but above freezing, used to be nice and sunny, now dark.

01-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Oh stop it with the Lounge ads! Our weather is free, free like a bird ...
Lounge Ads are free too! Our weather reports are free, and so is the booze and big cigars......the naked dancing girls on Friday nights require tipping, but when they are like our last one, acquired by Parallax...head of entertainment dept., you won't be tipping, you will be barfing. Over 80 years old and doing a strip with a "walker" doesn't bring out much tip money......
He blamed picking and hiring her on "snow blindness"......I won't be going to any more Fri night girlie shows in the Lounge until next summer......
Regards!
01-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd like to work on my truck tomorrow and the wind chill is supposed be -20f. Anyone want to give me a hand?
01-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'd like to work on my truck tomorrow and the wind chill is supposed be -20f. Anyone want to give me a hand?
...and, the problem is??? Yep, I'm one of those crazy Manitoban's.

01-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll give advice: stay out of the wind!
01-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Sure thing Tom!
Attachment 253314

He looks just like the smart butt little kid I was, glad I grew out of it!

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 02-07-2015 at 09:25 AM.
01-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shutter Snappy Quote
...and, the problem is??? Yep, I'm one of those crazy Manitoban's.
The problem is at some point I may need an extra pair of hands. I'd tell you what my wife said when I asked her but I'd have to give myself a major infraction!
01-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #116
Pentaxian

Got to work on mine too. O2 sensor needs replacing. It's supposed to moderate a little by the weekend.
01-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #117
Veteran Member

I'd tell you what my wife said when I asked her but I'd have to give myself a major infraction!
I stopped asking Mrs Rupert to give me a hand ages ago. She has a never ending way of disappearing just at the point when you need those extra hands. It is so frustrating to look up and find she is gone that I just stopped asking. I've heard all the excuses, from years ago when "the baby was crying" to more recent years "I thought you were done and didn't need me any longer". Last time I recall using her I was putting up long strips of horizontal siding and needed her to hold up one end as I got started. Looked up after a couple of pieces and she was gone.....replaced her with a stick at the other end and haven't used her since. Now when she asks if I need help, I just reply I have a good stick handy.
Regards!
01-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took this* a couple of weeks ago in Mexico--I'm planning to spend a lot of time looking at it during the coming week.
* K-3 & FA 20-35/4 (pretty great lens, imho)

Last edited by dadipentak; 01-24-2015 at 04:53 PM.
01-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I took this* a couple of weeks ago in Mexico--I'm planning to spend a lot of time looking at it during the coming week.
Warmth for the soul?

I took this just this afternoon during a winter skills course in the Cairngorms - wind speeds between 50 and 70 mph (80 to 110 km/h) and snow on the slopes between one and three feet deep.

01-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
wind speeds between 50 and 70 mph (80 to 110 km/h) and snow on the slopes between one and three feet deep.
You are the man! Nice shot, too ;~)
« Gold Diggers! | So »