Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Chicago got hit with a blizzard the other day, luckily we had got in, unloaded all our cargo and got back out before they started to stop opening the bridges in the Calumet river for snow clearance.

Still lots of wind on Lake Michigan today

The morning of the blizzard.

And here's the deck this morning, after running through 40knots of wind and 12-14ft swells
Your shots reminded me of a quick grab I had on my way home last week,
Container ship heading south in Puget Sound,
I loved the way it was pulling the fog bank with it,
Seattle is hiding behind the fog,
had not experienced the shame of Sunday night yet

K5 with 18-135

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
I loved the way it was pulling the fog bank with it,
Yeah that's nice.
02-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I'm not - the Scottish winter is really getting to me, and temperatures are not even negative now (°C). But I used to live in modern university halls the last two years - bloody expensive, but all bills included. My Malaysian flatmate would heat the flat up to turn it into little Asia and walk around in his shorts.

Now I'm in an old student flat with a splendid view of the firth and hills in the background, but the insulation is as substandard as pretty much anywhere in the UK, heating is expensive and I'm sitting at my desk shaking like a leaf There's Danish blood running through my veins, and even that isn't helping. I pretty much prefer walking around outside in my coat and gloves to sitting in the flat - never looked forward to the cozy warmth of my parents' house in Germany so much
Sounds like you need thermals just to sit at your desk...
02-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today was as nice a February day as you could possibly imagine: sun, 47f and no wind. I'm not complaining but I'm not fooled into thinking it's Spring either.

02-05-2015, 05:40 AM   #140

I live in northern Sweden. 100 km north of the Arctic circle. To give American Pentaxians something to relate to. That is about 700 km north of Anchorage, Alaska. There is a Swedish saying that goes "There is no such thing as bad weather, just poor choice of clothing". I have been out taking photos in rather cold temperatures. The attached images shows my standard winter boots and mittens next to the more serious ones I use when I head out to do some astrophotography. When it is dark and clear skies up here it is often very cold. When it is warm and cozy during summer we have daylight 24/7 so I'm stuck with doing what I love the most in the world of photography while freezing. The second attached image is how my camera can look like after operating around -30C. To spare my fingers for getting frost bite I am using a radio remote to operate the shutter which I have inside my big down filled mittens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9505  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9505  Photo 
02-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #141
Veteran Member

I currently miss my year in Luleå and a real winter. Growing up outside Västerås gave me a number decent winters too but Uppsala is brutal. Rain every other day in January? Really?
02-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smirf Quote
There is a Swedish saying that goes "There is no such thing as bad weather, just poor choice of clothing".
Funny enough we've got the same saying here in Scotland - it just refers a bit more to rain and less to temperatures below -10°C.

02-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
rather cold temperatures.
-30C.
Yes, rather.
02-05-2015, 07:11 AM   #144

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I currently miss my year in Luleå and a real winter. Growing up outside Västerås gave me a number decent winters too but Uppsala is brutal. Rain every other day in January? Really?
Winters in southern Sweden are also more rough than those we got up here imo. Around -4C but with a high humidity is far worse and colder than the dry chill of -25C. Btw you are the third Swedish k-mount shooter I've heard of/seen for 5 years in the real world and on the internet.
02-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #145
Veteran Member

I personally know at least five here in Uppsala and I know that there are more. There's a bunch I know in Stockholm too. There's for sure Pentax shooters but we are simply not seen.
My brother just recently jumped over to Sony for a couple of reasons, but he still got a couple of Pentax lenses left.
02-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #146
Veteran Member

I live in northern Sweden. 100 km north of the Arctic circle. To give American Pentaxians something to relate to. That is about 700 km north of Anchorage, Alaska. There is a Swedish saying that goes "There is no such thing as bad weather, just poor choice of clothing". I have been out taking photos in rather cold temperatures. The attached images shows my standard winter boots and mittens next to the more serious ones I use when I head out to do some astrophotography. When it is dark and clear skies up here it is often very cold. When it is warm and cozy during summer we have daylight 24/7 so I'm stuck with doing what I love the most in the world of photography while freezing. The second attached image is how my camera can look like after operating around -30C. To spare my fingers for getting frost bite I am using a radio remote to operate the shutter which I have inside my big down filled mittens.
I need a pair of those mittens, but I'm afraid I'd ruin them within a week.

Probably around -7, -6C this morning by Detroit, which isn't too bad but combine it with standing on a steel deck for 6 hours makes it worse. At least there was next to no cloud cover (yay sun!)
02-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
At least there was next to no cloud cover (yay sunburn!)
I corrected that for you
02-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My American Standard furnace, the Goddess of Winter!

02-06-2015, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #149
Veteran Member

I like this. The ultimate snow plow. good thing they're on rails. A little hard to see where they're going.

02-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
I like this
That was really fun to watch--in my cozy study.
« Gold Diggers! | So »