Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

It's tough, being an Oakland Raider fan!

It's the same thing, year after year! "They look so good on paper"! I've been a true, dyed-in-the-wool Raider fan since the day they became an official NFL team and I'll die a Raider fan, but it's sure hard to endure this horrendous losing streak they're wallowing in.

I thought for sure Reggie McKenzie could pull them back into the realm of relevance, but it isn't happening. They keep putting the ball in RB Darrin McFadden's hands and he's proven, year after year, that he's just not the talent they had hoped for. They brought in a new RB, Maurice Jones-Drew, thinking he could bolster their running attach, but he's averaging less than 2 yds. per carry. They have who is perhaps the best fullback in the NFL in Marcel Reece and yet, he sees only limited action. He can run the ball like a Mack truck, he can catch the ball and he can even throw a pretty mean pass, but for some reason, they don't use him to their best advantage.

They have three bright spots in their young, rookie QB Derek Carr, the first round draft pick, all-world linebacker Kahlil Mack and the 7th rounder, DB T.J. Carrie. Other than that, they have only a smidgen of true talent on the team.

I think they did the right thing in firing head coach Dennis Allen, but he should never have been hired in the first place. He had no "fire down below," as Bob Segar once crooned about. Tony Sperano, the interim HC, is doing an alright job, considering what he's got to work with, but it looks as if they might be only the second team in history to go 0-16.

If I'm nothing else, I'm loyal.... but it ain't easy bein' Silver & Black!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

11-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My father was a died in the wool Raiders fan too. He's probably spinning in his grave.

Their last win was Nov 17, 2013. But hey, they're in 4th place (for all time losing streaks.)
QuoteQuote:
The Raiders losing streak is currently the fourth longest in NFL history, behind the 2006-07 Dolphins (17 games), the 2008-09 Lions (19 games) and the 1976-77 Buccaneers (26 games).
11-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NFL Issues Stern Warning Against Looking Directly At Raiders' Offense | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
11-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm a witness! It can be VERY painful!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

11-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
It's the same thing, year after year!
Ah, but they are consistent!

The Chiefs, who I follow, save the disappointment until the playoffs. Perhaps that is worse?
11-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My brother's a Raiduhs fans.

Not much worse than being mired in the morass of mediocrity that is the Miami Dolphins, however.
11-20-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I follow the Bengals and while they have made the playoffs a couple of times recently, they still look like a bad team. More history with Raiders -- super bowl wins, even if a long time ago.

Bengals only made the super bowl twice and last time was in 1990...

11-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #8
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Ah, but they are consistent!

The Chiefs, who I follow, save the disappointment until the playoffs. Perhaps that is worse?
+1 it has bin hard, but last season and this one is better for sure, than most of the last 10 years
11-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Banned

Hmmm, This may rubbing salt into the wound but, seems they've never really recovered from the "tuck rule game" and the loss of "Chuckie"!!! I've always liked Da Raidahs, but being from the Boston area, my allegiance belongs to The Flying Elvis!
11-20-2014, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Hmmm, This may rubbing salt into the wound but, seems they've never really recovered from the "tuck rule game" and the loss of "Chuckie"!!! I've always liked Da Raidahs, but being from the Boston area, my allegiance belongs to The Flying Elvis!
They've never recovered from Al Davis.
11-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
They've never recovered from Al Davis.

Well, AL Davis run teams won THREE Super Bowls, plus this little tid bit from Wikipedia: "Under Davis' management, the Raiders became one of the most successful teams in professional sports. His motto for the team was "Just win, baby."[1] Davis was active in civil rights, refusing to allow the Raiders to play in any city where black and white players had to stay in separate hotels. He was the first NFL owner to hire an African American head coach and a female chief executive. He was also the second NFL owner to hire a Latino head coach. He remains the only executive in NFL history to be an assistant coach, head coach, general manager, commissioner and owner."

Sure, his later years were, er, tumultuous, but he was far from being a bad owner! Could've been worse, he could've been Dan Snyder!
11-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Figures...it had to happen.
11-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Well, AL Davis run teams won THREE Super Bowls, plus this little tid bit from Wikipedia: "Under Davis' management, the Raiders became one of the most successful teams in professional sports. His motto for the team was "Just win, baby."[1] Davis was active in civil rights, refusing to allow the Raiders to play in any city where black and white players had to stay in separate hotels. He was the first NFL owner to hire an African American head coach and a female chief executive. He was also the second NFL owner to hire a Latino head coach. He remains the only executive in NFL history to be an assistant coach, head coach, general manager, commissioner and owner."

Sure, his later years were, er, tumultuous, but he was far from being a bad owner! Could've been worse, he could've been Dan Snyder!
Hey, they won!!!

No doubt Al was one of the great football minds the game has ever seen. But there is an entire generation of fans that only know him as the man who wrecked the Raiders through a combination of greed, hubris and possibly dementia. He demeaned the great Marcus Allen. He fired a brilliant young head coach named Mike Shanahan. He alienated John Gruden.

Endings for legendary figures in the game are often sloppy, bitter affairs - look at Shula, Landry, Noll. But because Al was the owner, de facto GM and Head Coach of the Head Coach, it was worse.

Al Davis leaves a convoluted legacy, for sure.

One of my favorite Al anecdotes is when the Dolphins were at Oakland - it was the Sea of Hands game, when Oakland broke the Fins' winning streak. At halftime, Shula was convinced Al had bugged the locker room. So he started screaming at the walls, "Al I know you can hear me!" Dolphins scored late to take the lead, but left Ken Stabler too much time and he threw a pass to the backup TE through a "sea of hands".
11-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hey, they won!!!

No doubt Al was one of the great football minds the game has ever seen. But there is an entire generation of fans that only know him as the man who wrecked the Raiders through a combination of greed, hubris and possibly dementia. He demeaned the great Marcus Allen. He fired a brilliant young head coach named Mike Shanahan. He alienated John Gruden.

Endings for legendary figures in the game are often sloppy, bitter affairs - look at Shula, Landry, Noll. But because Al was the owner, de facto GM and Head Coach of the Head Coach, it was worse.

Al Davis leaves a convoluted legacy, for sure.

One of my favorite Al anecdotes is when the Dolphins were at Oakland - it was the Sea of Hands game, when Oakland broke the Fins' winning streak. At halftime, Shula was convinced Al had bugged the locker room. So he started screaming at the walls, "Al I know you can hear me!" Dolphins scored late to take the lead, but left Ken Stabler too much time and he threw a pass to the backup TE through a "sea of hands".

Geez, even Bill Belichick was fired, by Cleveland! Shanahan wasn't quite a "brilliant young coach" when he was in Oakland: "Shanahan's final Raiders record was 8–12 in less than two seasons, going 2–7 after a 6–5 start." The players (and some of his other coaches) in Oakland hated him! In Fact, after his time in Denver, he was a bust again.
11-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It's tough being a Raiders fan but I'm almost embarrassed to wear my Giants sweatshirt this year.