Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

It doesn't get much better than this!

Tonight on CMT, they had a special featuring country singer Jason Aldeen and R&R legend, Bob Segar. "Against the Wind".... one of the anthems of Rock and Roll! Man oh man.... I was rockin' out! Bob Segar has always been a favorite of mine and when I still had my motorcycle, I was always listening to him on my MP3 player as I tooled along in the mountains of Idaho, headed to God-knows-where. Such memorable, fun times. I miss them.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 03:13 AM.
11-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh yes, I remember those days, but it was riding the canyons in California. It is a wonder I am still alive. Some of my buddies are not.
11-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Oh yes, I remember those days, but it was riding the canyons in California. It is a wonder I am still alive. Some of my buddies are not.

I hear ya', my friend. I still suffer from a very bad wreck on the winding road coming out of Yosemite Park.... the one that leads to Coultervfille. Broke my neck and punctured my lung. Strictly pilot error.... and the effects of too much whisky and beer consumed at the Plaza Bar in Hornitos! Such idiocy! And I was old enough to know better! But, I'm thankful that it was on an inside curve. Otherwise, I would have ended up 300 ft. below.... in the Merced River.... sleepin' with the fishes!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
11-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I hear ya', my friend. I still suffer from a very bad wreck on the winding road coming out of Yosemite Park.... the one that leads to Coultervfille. Broke my neck and punctured my lung. Strictly pilot error.... and the effects of too much whisky and beer consumed at the Plaza Bar in Hornitos! Such idiocy! And I was old enough to know better! But, I'm thankful that it was on an inside curve. Otherwise, I would have ended up 300 ft. below.... in the Merced River.... sleepin' with the fishes!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
I was always lucky. Got hurt more when dirt riding.

I remember one day going back to the shop from visiting a client. I touched the front brake in a greasy California intersection. Ended up sitting on top of my beautiful 1100 Suzuki and sliding through the intersection. All I got was road rash. The bike, well, pretty bad.

12-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tonight on CMT, they had a special featuring country singer Jason Aldeen and R&R legend, Bob Segar. "Against the Wind".... one of the anthems of Rock and Roll! Man oh man.... I was rockin' out! Bob Segar has always been a favorite of mine and when I still had my motorcycle, I was always listening to him on my MP3 player as I tooled along in the mountains of Idaho, headed to God-knows-where. Such memorable, fun times. I miss them.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Beautiful countryside Dewman!

But isn't Sonora Pass in California?
12-01-2014, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Beautiful countryside Dewman!

But isn't Sonora Pass in California?

It is, indeed! I took a trip to California to celebrate my 66th birthday, crossing the Sierra Nevada Mts. going over Ebbetts Pass on the way and over Sonora Pass on the return leg. One of the most memorable trips I ever made.... and I made quite a few!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
12-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm 64 and still riding. My travels are mostly close to home here in the Adirondacks and nearby VT. and NH. Segar's "Roll Me Away" still runs through my head. I doubt I'll ever quit riding although I'm considering something with 3 wheels. I started with a little Honda Cub when I was 14 and I'm still going. I went down pretty hard back in October but had no injuries beyond some bruises. I had stopped wearing leather and had switched to the ballistic riding gear with the padding and it protected me well although it's pretty torn up and doesn't look very good any more.

12-02-2014, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm 64 and still riding. My travels are mostly close to home here in the Adirondacks and nearby VT. and NH. Segar's "Roll Me Away" still runs through my head. I doubt I'll ever quit riding although I'm considering something with 3 wheels. I started with a little Honda Cub when I was 14 and I'm still going. I went down pretty hard back in October but had no injuries beyond some bruises. I had stopped wearing leather and had switched to the ballistic riding gear with the padding and it protected me well although it's pretty torn up and doesn't look very good any more.

I would still be riding but I suffered a severe brain injury in 2013 and it pretty much ended my riding days. The writing was on the wall even before that though. I've got degenerative joint disease in my knees and hips and riding was becoming too painful, in spite of all the Oxycontin and morphine I was taking. But, I made the most out of the time I had. More fun that a man should be allowed! Ah, the memories of all the rides to hell and back with old what's-her-name! Those who have never ridden have missed out on one of life's greatest adventures. The mystique, the magic that comes with heading down a road without a clue where you're headed.... and don't really care, as long as you're goin'.... is impossible to describe. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 03:14 AM.
12-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I would still be riding but I suffered a severe brain injury in 2013 and it pretty much ended my riding days. The writing was on the wall even before that though. I've got degenerative joint disease in my knees and hips and riding was becoming too painful, in spite of all the Oxycontin and morphine I was taking. But, I made the most out of the time I had. More fun that a man should be allowed! Ah, the memories of all the rides to hell and back with old what's-her-name! Those who have never ridden have missed out on one of life's greatest adventures. The mystique, the magic that comes with heading down a road without a clue where you're headed.... and don't really care, as long as you're goin'.... is impossible to describe. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
For sure there is some very picturesque scenery in North America, and the best way to see it is from the seat of a motorcycle.

Too bad the pain has curtailed your adventures Dewman. I know how you feel, as chronic neck and back pain permeate my very being, and affect every moment of my life these days. I also had a total hip replacement 4 years ago this Christmas. Since recovering from the surgery life is much more enjoyable, but I have had to learn that I can no longer run like I did as a young man (in fact I cannot run at all anymore) and jumping down from the back of a pickup or off of a big truck is totally out of the question.

I'm still riding though, and although I have a low pain threshold I refuse to let it take away one of life's greatest pleasures.
12-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think pain takes it's toll on all of us as we get older. I have arthritis in several joints and also my spine but I'm thankful that I can still do many of the things that I love. For whatever reason, I seem to hold up better on the bike for a day on the road rather than one of the cars. The big problem on the bike is my hands, especially in the colder weather. The stenosis in my neck causes some arm and hand numbness along with some nasty arthritis in my thumb joints. That may have contributed to me going down in October as the front wheel locked on me. It caught me by surprise as I was not braking hard (or so I thought). In warmer weather, I'm fine. Still, I'm looking at either a trike or a Spyder and whatever I buy will have ABS.

Long trips in the car start my knees throbbing after about 2 hours and the effect will last well into the next day. My hand issues on the bike go away after about 15 minutes and even quicker if I hold them under the heated dryers found in most rest rooms. I have had surgery to repair joints in my feet and the knees and shoulders may be next.

Dewman, I wish you the best and I hope you can can continue to enjoy life regardless of the disabilities you now have to deal with. The thing I enjoy most is being out with my camera capturing the beauty in this world and my motorcycles are just one of the tools to get me there. I know that someday I'll be parking the bike but I'll just have to find another another way to get around.
12-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I think pain takes it's toll on all of us as we get older. I have arthritis in several joints and also my spine but I'm thankful that I can still do many of the things that I love. For whatever reason, I seem to hold up better on the bike for a day on the road rather than one of the cars. The big problem on the bike is my hands, especially in the colder weather. The stenosis in my neck causes some arm and hand numbness along with some nasty arthritis in my thumb joints. That may have contributed to me going down in October as the front wheel locked on me. It caught me by surprise as I was not braking hard (or so I thought). In warmer weather, I'm fine. Still, I'm looking at either a trike or a Spyder and whatever I buy will have ABS.

Long trips in the car start my knees throbbing after about 2 hours and the effect will last well into the next day. My hand issues on the bike go away after about 15 minutes and even quicker if I hold them under the heated dryers found in most rest rooms. I have had surgery to repair joints in my feet and the knees and shoulders may be next.

Dewman, I wish you the best and I hope you can can continue to enjoy life regardless of the disabilities you now have to deal with. The thing I enjoy most is being out with my camera capturing the beauty in this world and my motorcycles are just one of the tools to get me there. I know that someday I'll be parking the bike but I'll just have to find another another way to get around.
Thanks, RT. You know what I'm talkin' about. I DO still enjoy life and photography is a much-welcomed venue toward that. I had my day in the sun, and I'm now content to spend my days in the relatively calm and imminently safer shade!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA