Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too many ads on the web ?

Are too many ads ruining your internet experience ? I mean once in a while I don't mind reading an advertisement in the news paper or magazine, but when they pop-up at you from seemingly nowhere and follow you around every where you go it gets annoying. Some advertisers think that by repeating an Ad a gazillion number of times that will get you to buy, but it has the total opposite effect on me.

Its getting to the point where my internet is slowing down due to the large amount of data it is dragging on each page before it renders it. IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD reads a headline on MSN, but before you read the article please watch this video from our sponsors. How far are they going to go with this before the Internet turns into 75% commercial advertisements and 25% useful content ?

Last edited by hjoseph7; 11-30-2014 at 07:01 PM.
11-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried Ad Blocker? It's free and it works fairly well.
11-30-2014, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
How far are they going to go with this before the Internet urns into 75% commercial advertisements and 25% useful content ?
Didn't we already pass that mark long time ago? Most of the Internet is rubbish with tons of social-networking related garbage or commercial / advertisement hum - what's left is like 5-10% of the web that has some useful content and any meaning.. ( bearing in mind that what's garbage to some will be most treasured to others - dung beetle springs to mind at this point
11-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just downloaded AdBlock. At first it seemed to work but then the Ads started breaking through ?

Oops my bad I had to restart the computer. Seems to be working now thank you.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 11-30-2014 at 07:00 PM.
11-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are too many ads everywhere. It's to the point where you stop seeing them. I've read articles about how over exposed people are regarding ads and at some point the ads become useless when people train their mind to just ignore the image/info. I mute ads I'm forced to watch on web sites. Talk radio is also way too ad-packed. You Tube is useless now from all the ads. Seems like Craigslist is the only holdout on the Web.
12-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I never see ads on Youtube, or pretty much any other site. There's Chrome extensions for that.

As for public media... I don't watch TV, listen to FM radio, or read the newspaper.
12-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Have you tried Ad Blocker? It's free and it works fairly well.
+1 super happy with ad blocker.
Its ok with adds, but many sites goes crazy in their adds. To bad that some "good Guys" gets hurt when people starts using ad blockers, but thats the result of so many using full size and anoying adds.

12-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The Ad Block Plus add-on is excellent, if you use Firefox.
https://adblockplus.org/en/

Ad blockers also reduce some security risks.
12-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There are a couple of sites that I used to visit every day that make you watch an ad before you read content. I no longer visit them. I use ad blocker but it can't get them all. Half the so called news stories on Yahoo or Google News now are actually ads for this or that product. It's stupid.
12-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The Ad Block Plus add-on is excellent, if you use Firefox.
https://adblockplus.org/en/

Ad blockers also reduce some security risks.
Thanks for the link. Too lazy to pursue an ad blocker in the past, but installed this for Safari (Mac user). Need to do the same for Firefox. Thanks.
12-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #11

I have friends that use Ad blockers but will disable them on some sites or Youtube users they like and want to support.

But Ad-block is a god send, so much time saved too. Once you get it you can't go back.
I was doing something for my mom on her laptop (that didn't have Ad-block installed) and I couldn't wrap my mind over how many Ads there were >_<
12-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I love this Ad-Block Plus, it works seamlessly on my computer and does not interfere with Forums like some of other similar programs do. I can swear my computer is running faster now. However, I might be mistaken, but when I ran a Scan using Microsoft Security Essentials it seemed to disable Ad-Block so I had to download it again ?
12-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a good trick. It prevents pages with lots of flash from slowing down your browsing. Especially useful on older computers.

https://security.berkeley.edu/content/how-do-i-enable-click-play-google-chrome