Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Santa Has Been Very Good To Me This Year... :P

Cybertron Borg Q

Processor 3.8 GHz FX-Series Quad-Core FX-4120
RAM 8 GB DDR3 (I'll probably double that at some point.)
Hard Drive 1000 GB SATA (Plus I have a 1TB Sata drive to add and I also have a 1TB external backup drive....)
NVIDIA GeForce GT610 1GB Video Card
450 Watt Power Supply
24X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Drive
Audio: 7.1 Channel
GB Lan (Fine by me. I don't like wireless for the PC.)
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 4
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 4
Series CybertronPC Borg-Q GM4213B
Item model number GM4213B
Hardware Platform PC
Operating System Windows 8.1 (Eh, definitely not too thrilled with this, but I can dual boot with 7 Pro I guess, or maybe jury rig 8.1 a bit. There are plenty of programs now to put back the Win 7 desktop, menus and that, plus it might actually be 8.1 which is slightly better. I will likely upgrade to 9 when it comes out as it previews seem to indicate they finally listened to all the complaining and revised it backwards a bit to better suit people who work with PC's as well as people who use touch screens.)
Color Green (Of course....)
Processor Brand AMD
Processor Count 1
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA-300
Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200 RPM
Optical Drive Type DVD-RW/dual layer. This will be nice. I don't have a dual layer one now and dual layer does come in handy now and again...)

I sure wish I could use the additional memory I have but unfortunately the mother board doesn't support it or so says a rep at Cybertron. It's too slow. This is my first gaming PC per se so I'm not sure how the memory works in these vs a regular PC. I do have a Crucial 4GB 240-PIN PC3-8500 DIMM DDR3 kit I want to use but I'm admittedly not much up on the specifics of DDR3 ram speeds as yet so if this guy BS'ed me just to sell more memory and it can be used, will cycle down, I'd appreciate someone giving me a head's up so I don't waste my $$$ later on more memory if I don't need to!

Yes, it is an actual Christmas present. My 5 year old Dell has got some major issues. I've practically replaced every part in it at least once and in some cases twice now. I'm totally fed up with the thing and Dad asked me if I wanted a new PC for Christmas. I've actually been eying one of these Borg Q's for while now. I'm ready for a proper gamer's PC. I can't afford a really expensive one. These are low end but rather nice in terms of what you get for the $$$ and they have mostly good reviews. Dad doesn't even use the PC at this point. His eyes are too bad now. So he said to buy what would suit me this time. That would be this! I must admit it amuses me a bit. Borg Q? So Trek, lol. Case is a bit over the top, but that's typical of gamer PC's. It's got plenty of room for expansion. Lots of empty bays...

There's an internal pic here:

CybertronPC Borg-Q TGM4213B Gaming PC | Best Gaming Computer Reviews

Last edited by magkelly; 12-04-2014 at 03:09 PM.
12-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks dad.
12-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Taking care of my Dad is basically a p/t job. He knows and appreciates that. When it comes to jobs I have three of them. I have a p/t photography business I am trying to run. I have a crafts/jewelry business. I'm constantly making stuff for craft shows and that. Lastly, I have him. I honestly think sometimes that my being an insomniac is a good thing. As much as I miss the sleep some days there just are not enough hours in the day. The computer is a necessity with me and he knows that. I do have a laptop and could get by if I had to for a while but with my eyes being so bad lately working on a PC is better. Plus I am a gamer, at least I play a lot of casual games, so this system will be good for me.

Last few days the power supply on this one has been wigging out. I keep having to reset it to use the PC. Every time I log out for a while it dies. If I replaced it that would be for the second time. FYI, I've already replaced 2 HD's a power supply, the DVD-RW rom TWICE, the network card TWICE. This Dell it's like it's been cursed, I swear. I actually had an electrician come out and check things out. I figured maybe I was having electrical surges or fluctuations in that socket that the surge protectors couldn't deal with. Nope. Everything is fine, but I can't seem to keep hardly any part in this PC alive for more than 2 years. This area of the house is always kept cool. It just has to be main board electrical issues or something. At any rate I'm thrilled he offered. I've totally had enough of the Dell and it's constant breakdowns...
12-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Judging by the pic you linked, your motherboard is this:

GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

So your additional Crucial RAM kit should work just fine, unless it has a compatibility issue with the RAM that's already installed on the Borg... but that doesn't happen too often these days.

Glad you got something nice for all your hard work.

12-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I was hoping someone would say that.

Upgrading the RAM that's in there to double it as I usually do would be like another $140 right now. The higher speed gaming RAM that's in there is a tad expensive. 8GB actually works fairly well for me usually. I just wanted to add in the extra 8 GB I had since I've got it and Win 8.1 can supposedly use it. There are 3 open slots and that's what I think is in my Dell. I think it's one 4GB chip and 2/2 GB chips if I recall correctly so I should be able to use all 8 GB's from the Dell I hope. 16 MB would be plenty for me, even if some of that 16GB isn't as fast as the rest. The 8 GB from the Dell would just be "extra" not essential RAM for me.

The graphics card in there is about the same as the one I have now, maybe just a tad better. It's got 1GB of RAM too so it's not slow. Eventually I might get a better 2GB one but I want to see how how it goes on that with the quad core, faster RAM, and so forth. I may not even need it. 1GB of on card RAM may be more than enough for me. My graphics memory needs for games aren't as high as some. I'm mostly playing hidden object, match3 and marble popper type games not ultra high end never ending graphics intensive role play type games. Some of the larger more graphic HOG and adventure games do sometimes need a little more oomph but reading about this card's capacity I think it can handle it. It should already be capable enough for the more advanced graphics needs of Adobe CS6 and that's far more important actually.

I was amazed to see that it's going to be here TODAY. I did pay the extra $14 to have it shipped faster and I did sign up for a trial of Amazon Prime to get that. I will be cancelling before the trial is up but I figured for this it might be worth doing 2 weeks of a trial. Amazon must have a warehouse here now because it shipped out at like 10PM and is due here later today sometime. So I'll be playing on the new machine by nightfall I hope. I've got everything backed up and ready to go on my external HD.

I figure I might dual boot Win 7 with Win 8.1 but I will give 8.1 an honest try first. I found this nifty little freeware program called Classic Shell that should give me back my Win 7 menus and start button. That's a huge plus. With 8.1 I can now log in directly to the desktop so I should be able to get around most of what really annoyed me with 8 when it was first released. Normally I don't upgrade my OS all that fast but in this case I will be definitely be getting an upgrade to Win 10 when it comes out.

From what I've seen it's far more customizable than 8.1 is. You can totally get rid of the tiles and all the extemporaneous stuff related to touch screens and that. That's great news to me as I have no use for any of that tablet/phone oriented stuff on a PC. Not being able to boot to desktop and no start menu/button that was 90% of my gripe with Win 8. If 8.1 and Classic Shell can remedy that then I'm probably going to be cool. If not, if it turns out to be just too annoying, I will be reformatting and going with Win 7 Pro since I do have a disk for that.
12-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's here and dang, it's SWEET. I haven't even tried to add the old memory yet and it's just flying. Awesome machine and even Win 8.1 isn't too bad. Classic Menu did a good job of giving me my menus and that back and a few R clicks on the Start Screen took care of most of the rest of the junk I didn't need. I think I like quad core, grin...
12-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

Enjoy!