Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Oh man..... what a job!

Tonight, I decided to clean out my office.... starting with file cabinets. Oh boy! I didn't know what I was getting myself into! So many things that needed thrown away, and yet I was so indecisive about actually doing it! Do I REALLY need to throw away birthday cards from 20 years ago? How about "In Memory of XXXX" cards from funerals I have attended over the past two decades? Navy Recruiter posters..... do I REALLY want to throw them away? Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Well, finally, after two complete roll-away trash barrels full of stuff, I can see the light of day. Holy cow, I had NO IDEA I had bought that many lenses! Empty box after empty box came tumbling out of the closet! Hmmm.... it's a good thing I don't have a wife to answer to.

I've quit for tonight. My back hurts, I'm tired and I've got some very nice soft red Huckleberry wine waiting on me! That and the PF to read and gain new encouragement.

How..... why..... on earth does a guy save stuff like that? And for so long! Whew. Glad it's over. Now, all that's left is dust and vacuum and it's a done deal.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

12-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When you have finished with actual detritus there may be the matter of virtual detritus!
How many images clog up your hard drive(s)? How many are not to your current standard? How many are duplicates/triplicates/quad...(you get the idea)?
How many are keepers, but are poorly sorted/filed?
I see a lifetime of cleaning ahead for lots of us.
12-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
When you have finished with actual detritus there may be the matter of virtual detritus!
How many images clog up your hard drive(s)? How many are not to your current standard? How many are duplicates/triplicates/quad...(you get the idea)?
How many are keepers, but are poorly sorted/filed?
I see a lifetime of cleaning ahead for lots of us.

Oh! Good Lord! What a dreadful chore THAT'S gonna' be! Four or five flash drives full of 'em! MOST are not up to my current standards! I try to not keep them on my HD just to help with working speed, but still.... tonight was a perfect example. I was looking for an image I took last summer. I dug and dug and dug.... NOTHING! I KNOW darn good and well I DID NOT throw it away! It was somewhere, in a file marked "Misc. Photos." Trouble is, I have several of those in every nook and cranny imaginable!

I'll worry about it Monday! The weekend is for football, picture shooting and sleepin' in late!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
12-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I can understand you.

My girlfriend's father was a compulsive hoarder, when he filled a shed he would build another to house more stuff.....
we spent 2 years clearing his house after he passed away.

My study/office/photography room at home isn't much better, I can't sit on my couch in there because of the crap, and can barely reach the window to open it.

12-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
...My girlfriend's father was a compulsive hoarder, when he filled a shed he would build another to house more stuff.....
we spent 2 years clearing his house after he passed away...
My wife's parents are hoarders. They have filled their garage with so much junk that you cannot get into it at all. Their water heater broke about 15 years ago. Because it is in the garage they decided not to fix it and just use cold water. Every time I see them all I smell is mold. Sad is an understatement.

P.S. I am pretty organized, but I do have the unloaded flash drive problem. Got to fix that.
12-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my mind, we thin out the crap every 5-7 years by moving. However, the movers weigh it all so I know the weight increases every time.
12-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I managed to get the place pretty clean, but still have my desk to attend to.... and THAT is no small thing in itself.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA